Saint John NB...Fort Howe

Does anyone have any info on Fort Howe in NB? We will be on the Carnival Glory in Sept. and I am curious as to what this is all about. My family name is Howe and I remember my Grandfather telling me he was from french heritage. Is this a site that is worth taking time to explore? How far would it be from where the Glory docks...within walking distance? Also, I have found a web site called...saintjohntransit.com which offers a 2 hr tour from Barbour's General Store to Reversing Falls. I can't seem to find a 2010 schedule for this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Does anyone have any info on Fort Howe in NB? We will be on the Carnival Glory in Sept. and I am curious as to what this is all about. My family name is Howe and I remember my Grandfather telling me he was from french heritage. Is this a site that is worth taking time to explore? How far would it be from where the Glory docks...within walking distance? Also, I have found a web site called...saintjohntransit.com which offers a 2 hr tour from Barbour's General Store to Reversing Falls. I can't seem to find a 2010 schedule for this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The Glory docks at Marco Polo Cruise Terminal. You can walk to Fort Howe along Harbour Passage walking trail in 20-25 minutes, depending on speed (there will be a sign directing you a quarter ways down the passage, or ask an ambassador). Keep in mind that there is a steep incline paved road to get to the top of the hill. Taxis will take you there and it is a scheduled stop for city tours, whether through cruise ship or local transit authority. The local city bus is the same times every year - they just didn't update their site. As for whether it is worth it, that would be based on an individual's interest in history, but I can say at the least you'll have the best vantage point for a ship photo as you will be looking down at the harbour.

You can find the history of Fort Howe here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Howe

Archived