egypt

Gozogirl

We docked in Alexandria last year (only for one day) and decided to take a ship tour as we were worried about the distance of the pyramids from the port. The tour was okay, but we felt a bit rushed around the pyramids and it would have been nice to stay longer.

Others on our ship arranged private tours and had no problems with this, but if you take this option there is no guarantee you will make the ship on time and the traffic between cairo and alexandria is awful.

Given the choice again, though, I would probably arrange a private group tour to get time to see more of the things which interest me personally. Probably a risk worth taking IMO.

what is the best way to see the pyramids? We are docking in Alexandria egypt.

From the Giza Plateau! :rolleyes: Sorry couldn't resist! We used Nile Blue Tours and spent overnight in Cairo in Nov 09 (Brilliance of the Seas). They went out of their way to make sure we saw as much as possible plus they made double sure we left Cairo in plenty of time to get back to the ship on time. The local tour companies know the traffic and how to get you back in time. They know your visa is a limited tourist visa and you have to get out of Egypt in what time frame it is or you and they can get fined for overstaying, that's my understanding of what was explained to us. Our overnight private tour for 4, was half the price of the ship's tour for 4 if you are wondering and we stayed in the same hotel as the ship's overnight tour.

We were on the Brilliance last November to Alexandria for 2 days. The first day we did the ship's 12 hour tour to Cairo. On each bus that left on the tour there was, in addition to the driver and tour guide, an armed security guard in a business suit. He was the first off the bus at each stop to see that it was secure for the passengers. I'm glad I paid the ship's higher fees and had that security. We have traveled the world and Egypt was one of those places that you would not want to be there on your own. The vendors were brutal and the local police do nothing to deter them. I am glad I went and saw the Pyramids, but I would not go back. Jerry

I had a completely different experience than the previous poster in terms of how safe I felt - and I was a woman alone with two small children. I think the Egyptian government takes great care to keep tourists safe and the vendors we came across all had good humor and a couple "no thank yous" was all it took.

I had concerns about doing a private tour at first, but I was so glad I ended up listening to the good advice I found here and took a private tour (mine was with Moustafa which we were thrilled with - but everyone in our roll call was happy with their tours - some on Moustafa and some with Ramses). We did make sure to get back with plenty of time to allow for an accident on the road or something - but also if there is a major tie-up on the road back, then the ship busses are going to be late too.

Best,

Mia

Archived