FYI: Answer to Steakhouse Tips Question

Solo1959

I jsut (just, maybe) think we have the right to know how much of a tip we are already paying.

With that info I can readily decide how much more is warranted. Why keep this a secret?

Dammit, I need to know if $.25 is enough or do I need to crack open the wallet and get out a $2 bill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfadj viewpost.gif

I jsut think we have the right to know how much of a tip we are already paying.

With that info I can readily decide how much more is warranted. Why keep this a secret?

Have you asked??? I really don't see the problem..I don't think it is a secret..

Yes I have asked. When we went to the steakhouse on the Glory I asked about six different people and got six different answers.

Than I sent a note to John Heald. He skirted around the question and never would give me an answer.

That is why I wonder why the hell it is a secret.

Yes I have asked. When we went to the steakhouse on the Glory I asked about six different people and got six different answers.

Than I sent a note to John Heald. He skirted around the question and never would give me an answer.

Because, if they told you that most of it was tip, no one would leave any more. Silence is a cash cow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfadj viewpost.gif

I jsut think we have the right to know how much of a tip we are already paying.

Have you asked??? I really don't see the problem..I don't think it is a secret..

I believe it's a secret so as to encourage larger tips. I didn't know until I read today that the cost included a tip. The less spoken about this by Carnival, the more apt customers are to give an additional tip.

I mean, feel free to give or not give what ever you believe is fair. But it is difficult to make the determination without information.

We can assume that whatever the tip is that's included is one that the waitstaff have agreed is fair.

Exactly!! Coffee at Dunkin' is waaaaaaaaay better!! :p :D :p

Is there anybody who DOESN'T love Dunkin' Donuts? I'd love to see one one the ships, the donuts, the coffee.... So much better than what they offer now. mmmmmmmmmmmm

You are against giving the tip I see for the supper club so beit.. not everyone else is.. doesn't matter what I give where.. the supper club is a different experience.. somewhat like a spa treatment maybe..

The tip is automatically added to the spa service so do you tip in addition to the amount already added?

Especially when the per meal tip in the MDR is $1.66 :rolleyes:

Mr. Pete,

Can you explain this? I though each day the dinning room waiter get $ 5.50 per person, if there are 4 of us, the tip is $ 22 right?

The only time we eat in the dinning room is dinner only. Is this how it work?

Thanks,

Tibbie

Mr. Pete,

Can you explain this? I though each day the dinning room waiter get $ 5.50 per person, if there are 4 of us, the tip is $ 22 right?

The only time we eat in the dinning room is dinner only. Is this how it work?

Thanks,

Tibbie

We are talking per person. 1.66 X 3 = 5.50.

You have three meals a day. If you choose NOT to eat in the DR, your tips are still $5.50.

Here's where it gets tricky, and the auto tips behind the scene kicks in.

Those other 2 meals, you don't have your assigned servers, being it's open seating (even though you say you don't use the DR). Your tip for those meals still goes to your servers, who may be serving someone else, but the server serving you is still getting tipped from the people that are tipping them.

Your actual server may be in the MDR for those other 2 meals, or they are upstair in the Lido restaraunt working there.

The fact that you chose not to eat in the MDR doesn't change your tips, nor is you 5.50 for dinner only.

The whole auto tip process is there so your servers get their tips regardless of where you eat, and that you don't have to start tipping separately if someone else serves you

I agree that I bet most of the $30 is for the tip. Maybe $5-10 covers upgrades on the food but you only get one appetizer or dessert like you can in the main dining room, so I don't even think the food upgrade can need that much. As much bulk as they buy a 9 oz fillet doesn't cost that much or a 28 porterhouse in the store. But when you go to a high end restaurant it does. I've heard the steakhouse is the reward to the servers for long service and the best job. It makes sense that they would have a job to want to work up to getting.

As far as the spa goes - look at your bill. There will be a 15% service charge and a place for a tip. The service charge is the tip. It is a way to trick you to leave extra!

I hate places that charge with parties of 6 (or 8) autotips. That happened to me at a business lunch last week. She ended up shorting herself by doing that. I always do 20% but if my lunch is under $10, I usually leave $2. Today - we had a great server. My friend left her $3. I was buying so on a $19 tab (which includes tax) I left $4.00. She was great and we wanted her to know we thought she did a good job.

[quote name='arpie05']I agree that I bet most of the $30 is for the tip. Maybe $5-10 covers upgrades on the food but you only get one appetizer or dessert like you can in the main dining room, so I don't even think the food upgrade can need that much. As much bulk as they buy a 9 oz fillet doesn't cost that much or a 28 porterhouse in the store. But when you go to a high end restaurant it does. I've heard the steakhouse is the reward to the servers for long service and the best job. It makes sense that they would have a job to want to work up to getting.

As far as the spa goes - look at your bill. There will be a 15% service charge and a place for a tip. The service charge is the tip. It is a way to trick you to leave extra!

I hate places that charge with parties of 6 (or 8) autotips. That happened to me at a business lunch last week. She ended up shorting herself by doing that. I always do 20% but if my lunch is under $10, I usually leave $2. Today - we had a great server. My friend left her $3. I was buying so on a $19 tab (which includes tax) I left $4.00. She was great and we wanted her to know we thought she did a good job.[/quote]

I question whether a server in the steakhouse will make more than the DR. Some night there is hardly anyone there and the servers hang around doing nothing.

[quote name='MrPete']These days, Dunkin' Donuts will tell you the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I always use a CC at the self serve gas stations so I don't have to stand in line to pay. Some will intentionally make you come in to get a receipt. After standing in line while waiting for the other customers I finally got to the register and there was a cup there for tips.

I sarcastically asked am I supposed to take money out for waiting on myself?

[quote name='arpie05']I

I hate places that charge with parties of 6 (or 8) autotips. That happened to me at a business lunch last week. She ended up shorting herself by doing that. I always do 20% but if my lunch is under $10, I usually leave $2. Today - we had a great server. My friend left her $3. I was buying so on a $19 tab (which includes tax) I left $4.00. She was great and we wanted her to know we thought she did a good job.[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine went to Vegas for a wedding. The wedding guests all went to the buffet the night before. They got a discount on the buffet because of a group rate. He told the cashier that he was with the group and got $2 off of the $25 price but then she added an automatic 20% service/gratuity for being in a group. He wasn't too happy about that because it was a buffet.

[quote name='KruznKel']Tipping is up to you for the service received.. we always tip $20 extra for the 2 of us.. that is if the service is outstanding.. which for us it always has been;)[/quote]
I'm with KruznKel on this one, we also add 20.00 when service outstanding which it always has been.
However there are those that will disagree, which is fine too, it really depends on the generosity of the tipper.
Cheers

What I know about the Steakhouse.

1. The tip IS included by Carnival's own information.

2. The service is good, BUT no better than a better restaurant on land.

3. I CANNOT get a complete USDA PRIME steak dinner anywhere on land for $30.00 so I don't need to know the breakdown of the $30.

I would consider myself fortunate to get an equal QUALITY dinner, on land, for twice the price. PLUS TIP!

Archived