Cruising solo with 14 year old - dining arrangements

Redbird54

I am a single mom cruising with my 14 year on the Glory in July. This is the first time I've traveled without a friend. I know my teenager will have plenty to do but what are the best opportunities on board for me to meet other people? Can you request a table assignment that's not solely couples? Any other suggestions?

I am a single mom cruising with my 14 year on the Glory in July. This is the first time I've traveled without a friend. I know my teenager will have plenty to do but what are the best opportunities on board for me to meet other people? Can you request a table assignment that's not solely couples? Any other suggestions?

Being a non-breeder, this is some conventional wisdom culled from the board:

-Go for early dinner so your kid can make the Camp Carnival activities at night.

-Go to the first meet up for Camp Carnival (Or Circle C or Club O or what have you).

-You can check the table assignment when you get on the ship. I doubt you'll have trouble trading out a two-top and into an 8-top as the demand is usually reversed.

-Be social, smile, and be outgoing. Randomly start conversations. (Okay, that's actually my advice.)

They have singles dances as well. I would agree, be social, chat it up and be open!

If you can, change your dining to anytime dining. Then request to be seated with other people.

A number of years ago, I cruised with my son (nearly 16 at the time) while my husband and daughter went snow skiing. My son and I had a blast. We met several people at dinner. I ended up meeting others at breakfast and lunch. One couple invited me to enjoy the evening's show with them.

Also go to rollcall for your cruise and see if there are other 14 year olds going and make a connection even before get on the ship

2 years ago it was just my DD (age 15 then) adn I on a cruise, they put uas at a table with 4 other people, a father and a son and a father and a daughter, all 3 kids were aobut the same age and hit it off right a way, needless to say that was that, she was gone to hang with friends, myself not being a shy person met some nice people on the lido deck and had a blast, I would keep the dinner time you have, you might find you are seated with more people traveling with just their kids.

.....I do believe we have always had at least 1 other child at the table with us.

Go to the different activities (trivia, bingo, etc.) whether alone or with your teen and you're sure to meet some people. There are over 2000 people on the ship, the odds are good.

:D

wasiii

I cruise without my husband, but with my children (11 & 16). Both times there were children of near ages at our table. However, my oldest and myself have always met our hanging out friends on the elevator. I have also met several cool people at the back of the ship in the evenings.

I have done 2 7 day cruises with my daughter. They will seat you with other people traveling with kids. U can check with the madred and they will tell u how old the children are and the parents. I have always had great luck with my new found dinner companions and they invite me to sit with them at shows and other things. Also, they have several things for the teenagers and they don't always want to eat with u because they want to eat with there friends or with the camp. One morning i ate in the dining room and was seated with several people and there was another single mother with a daughter the same age as mine so we hung out the remainder of the trip. Just be friendly sometimes u will notice the same people over and over and whether they have people with them. I love meeting new people. I was scared at first and worried I wouldn't have anyone to talk to, but we had a blast both times.

Carnival really does a pretty good job of matching up diners.

I've been a single mom forever. Other than my quick CTN last October (just so I'd be Platinum when I sailed in December), I've always sailed with my DD.

First cruise, we went with a friend and her son. DD was just shy of 15. At that time, Carnival's kids programs didn't have a whole lot for that age group. There were teen dances in the disco. The 4 of us had our own booth.

Most of the other cruises have been just to two of us. We've always been seated with at least 1 other mother/child combo, and I've always requested large tables. I figured the chances of not being stuck with duds would be less if there were more people.

Our 2nd Fantasy cruise happened to cover Mother's Day. We were seated with two other mom/daughter pairs. The daughters were older, but she was probably 19 or 20 by then and has always been mature for her age. The 6 of us ended up in a lounge one night dancing as a group. It was great fun.

Anyway, I don't think I'd worry too much. They'll probably seat you appropriately. If you aren't happy with your tablemates, you can always request a change.

I'm much more concerned about my 7-night solo cruise coming up. I do hope I have some interesting tablemates. :o

I agree that Carnival does a great job of matching you to your table mates so I would stick with confirmed dining.. We have always been matched to families with similar aged kids and it has worked out great.. In fact we stay in contact with a few of them and want to cruise together again someday.

Archived