Young Children and Excursions

If you are travelling with young children, check the ages for excursions. We found that RCI doesn't charge for children under 4 (or those that can pass for under 4) on most of its excursions. This can be a big savings. They don't seem to offer this information unless you ask, though.

I saw on the info we were given that on many excursions, that prices were lower or free for 3 and under. My dd's are 4 and 6, so we will have to pay, I guess. My youngest could pass for 3, but the cruiseline knows how old she is as I am using her birth certificate as ID....some of the excursion prices are very reasonable though. I will ask though, if there are special prices at the age 4 cut-off though. Thanks for the tip.

They never checked ages of children on any of the excursions we were on. RCI never asked who we were buying tickets for, either. My friend's daughter is 3, but is a few inches taller and a lot heavier than my 4 year old. None of the tour operators ever questioned age. All we said was "they don't need tickets, they are under 4" and that was good enough. Unfortunately, we didn't catch on to this until the last day, though. So, we probably could have saved a lot of money during the week.

Along these lines, be careful because even though they aren't age restricted, some excursions are just not suited towards younger kids. We had a couple disappointed families with us on the Blackbeards Castle excustion in St. Thomas on another line. Lots of steps (not good for mobility impaired or strollers) and lots of "no touching" places.

Anne

Archived