question for those with school aged kids

MamaParrotHead

when are your kiddos done with school?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. when are your kiddos done with school?

• early May
    • mid-May
    • late May
    • early June
    • none of the above (please specify)

In NYC, the public schools start the Monday after Labor Day and finish on the last Friday in June. Three breaks during the year - the five days between Christmas and New Years (plus 1 or 2 others, depending what day the holidays really are); a week in February that starts on President's Day; and, a week in the spring, which will always be the week of Passover.

Private schools tend to start a couple of days sooner and finish a couple of days sooner. Their spring break week will either be Easter week or Passover week, depending on the school.

Public schools in L.A. start right after Labor Day until 2nd or 3rd week of June. Southwest states start August and end sometime in May. I think that's why you can get good cruise deals out of Texas in August because the kids are back to school there.

• 3 weeks later...
Both of my children have the 20th of May as their last day of school. They attend public school in Tennessee. We begin our tour/cruise in Anchorage on Sunday the 22nd. We can't wait.

My daughter's last day is also May 20th. Public school in GA.

• 2 weeks later...

Some officials in the L.A. School District were talking about shifting the school year so it runs August thru May instead of Sept. thru June. Their reasons: more time before the state tests (testing is more important than learning, nowadays, I'm afraid) and hi school kids can start their summer jobs earlier or something like that. I'm sure I'm not the only person to write to them suggesting the impracticality of that (here in the San Fernando Valley part of LA, we get 100 plus degree days in August -- even in September!!!!). I said that kids would have to forego playground activity for more days than usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived