Eastern Caribbean Diving ?

Spudd

We're going on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. Ports are as follows:

San Juan, PR - 7:00pm-2:00am

St Thomas, USVI - 7:00am-5:00pm

St Croix - 7:00am-2:00pm

Nassau - 2:00pm-7:00pm

We've never been to any of these ports before. We love diving, but are also reluctant to miss a great port by spending the whole time underwater.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for the best "value" out of our ports. If a port is GREAT on land, but only so-so underwater, we'd prefer to spend our time on land. But if it's the opposite, then we'll go diving.

We're not really into shopping for jewelry and the like, but neat crafty souvenirs are always fun. We enjoy natural wonders such as waterfalls or great hiking trails. We're not much for just lying on the beach getting a suntan.

As for diving, I'm a beginner and DH is more advanced. I'd only be interested in diving when it's appropriate for beginners. (I have about 15 dives under my belt, but haven't been diving in about a year.)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Here is my list for where I'd dive:

San Juan, PR - 7:00pm-2:00am not enough time here and too far from dive sites

St Thomas, USVI - 7:00am-5:00pm Definitely dive here.

St Croix - 7:00am-2:00pm I would dive here as well even though I know nothing about the quality. I has to be better than St. Maaten.

Nassau - 2:00pm-7:00pm Skip diving. I like the dinner meal the best on a cruise and if you went diving, you'd probably miss it.

I'll second what Bruce says, though if you have late seating for dinner, you could probably get back from diving in Nassau in plenty of time (assuming it's offered as an excursion since it's probably too late for a private charter).

If you dive in St. Thomas, consider pooking privately with either Admiralty or Blue Island Divers. I recently dove with Blue Island and had a great time. The general concensus is that Admiralty is just as good. We saw the folks from Admiralty pull up in their boat while waiting for Blue Island, and their boat was very nice and in great condition. Whatever you do, don't book with the ship for diving in St. Thomas. We saw 3 ships sharing 2 cattle boats where they stacked divers and snorkelers like cord wood! You have plenty of time for a private charter and both Admiralty and Blue Island will pick you up at the dock.

I haven't been to St. Croix, so can't help you there.

Archived