Belize options

Denver_Rich

Looking for suggestions for "do-my-own" options in Belize.

Not interested in caving or tubing or diving which most posts seem to like.

Ideally, we would get off the ship, walk thru town, maybe take a local bus, take a short hike in the jungle, see some ruins, have lunch, take some pictures of animals and be back at the ship early, all without spending a fortune.

:) :D :p

Do-able??? Suggestions????? Many thanks.

Looks like you need to visit the Maya site of Altun Ha and then if there is enough time, get to the Belize Zoo. The cost will depend on how many persons you will be bringing with you and if you can get off on the earliest tender possible when you get into port. If interested contact xamannoh@yahoo.com

Just in Belize last week. We went cave tubing and was great fun.

Where the tenders come in- not much to do. Doing a lot of building and the area is sort of fenced in. A few shops & eating places

Need a car or tour to take you somewhere We traveled 1 1/2 hours by mini-van to get to the tubing area and passed much mangrove areas, the zoo, etc.

Guest Time2gocruzn

I have read here about the National Handicraft Center. I know it is a place where locals sell their wears. Heard there are good things here...baskets etc. DO a search to find more info. I have not been there b4...but we have this on the list to go to while in Belize:)

Be careful about hiring a local to give you a city tour. I have read here about a person who was taken to a private home and forced to look at/buy things or something like that. There is a somewhat cheap city tour offered thru the ship.

I think doing all the things you mentioned is probably do-able...BUT you will have to do a lot of research if you don't want to take any organized ($) tours. Here is a stie I found somewhat helpful. It is a forum all about Belize. they are NOT the fastest moving boards..but there is info to be found there...some of it from locals

http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I would just read way back on this forum...as it is probably the most helpful. I know I have read about a bus here too. Good luck! Be careful!

Archived