Accessible trails Mt. Roberts & Ketchikan & Juneau

LindaKE

Are any of the trails flat and smoothe enough to be acccessible on Mt. Roberts in Juneau and at the top of the funucilar(sp?) in Ketchikan, or do you pretty much have to stay at the top? Also, in Juneau, are the trails around Mendenhall accessible? I would really like to be able to get to salmon ladders to see this extraordinary sight.

Thanks!

I have started researching for our inside passage in September 2010. I have sent e-mails directly to the facilities, and will post when/if I receive replies. It is better to hear from someone who has been-there-done-that however.

When thinking of going up the Mt. Roberts tram absolutely do not buy your tram tickets until the very last minute just before you intend to ride as the weather changes quickly (if you can't see the top from the bottom, don't go!) and you don't want to pay all that money for nothing.

You can get on and off the tram easily and tour around the gift shop area in the building at the top, but your use of the trails at the top will be limited. Under typical Juneau conditions most people have no business going far on those trails. They get very steep and very slippery.

You will have to ride the tram both ways.

Much of where you will be in Alaska will be fairly accessible, but please do consider that the massive crowds off the cruise ships jam up the shops and the sidewalks in the towns, especially if it is raining. Also make sure that you have some sort of a rain jacket or poncho so you don't get soaked.

There is a nice easy trail at Mendenhall but verify your transportation so you can get out there and back. You didn' t post what your needs are.

I can walk short distances and make short climbs, but will be renting a wheelchair to use for distances and to have a place to sit down when I get tired, which I do quickly. I'm just wanting to verify that if I go somewhere, it will be worth the effort and expense.

Thanks.

Well, you are being logical!

The wet conditions under foot cause many people who are AB to slip and fall. Often they are wearing Crocs or otherwise stupid shoes.

As it has taken me more than 16 months to rehab from a bad leg injury, you can bet that I am extremely careful when out and about.

I think that many of the tours and attractions in Alaska are over priced. I may be showing my age in my opinion.

Archived