Sugar Free Margarita?

Rowan555

I asked this on the Cozumel board, but this board is so much more active. I am REALLY craving a margarita but can't have sugar. Should I pack my own sf margarita mix, or is there a chance I might find a sugar free margarita in Cozumel? Has anyone seen any sugar free mixed drinks ANYWHERE on board or in port?

Blech! I feel for ya! I have about a case of Baja Bobs Strawberry Margarita mix laying around if you want it, LOL... I could never stomach the stuff... but definitely bring your own, you can only find them in specialty stores and I have never seen any place that offered them. Good luck!

Margaritas are typically in excess of 300 calories per drink. Triple Sec is basically sugar. It's a "liqueur", which are never "healthy or sugar free".... limes, in the amount of "juice" you use for a margarita, are also very sugary. Margaritas are NOT one of the best choices if you are looking for a "low calorie" drink.

Rum is basically sugar as well, so that probably would not be a good choice (actually most alcohol is "sugar" but rum is one of the highest).... If you cannot have sugar, I'm not sure there are many choices for you, although some alcohols have less sugars than others, if you not completely intolerant.

Depends on why you are looking for sugar free - is it to reduce calories or carbs? All alcohol has calories (most except for the beer has under 100 for 1oz), but here is the carb count from the Atkins site.

The carb counts given here are effective carb counts, with the fiber removed. All amounts here are for a 1oz shot, except as indicated.

Beer (12oz) - 12.5g

Bourbon - 0g

Brandy - 0g

Gin - 0g

Rum - 0g

Tequila - 0g

Vermouth, Dry - 1.4g

Vermouth, Sweet - 4.5g

Vodka - 0g

Whiskey - 0g

Wine, Red (4oz) - 2.0g

Wine, White (4oz) - 0.9g

Personally I've been looking for a good flavored rum/vodka recipe to mimic some of the foofoos I love especially pina coladas!

Thanks, Babs - appreciate the info! I hadn't even thought about wine - do they serve wine at the past guest reception? I'd love to have a little taste of alcohol, but one foo foo drink and I'll be under the table from all the sugar/carbs. 2 glasses of wine and I'll probably be feeling REALLY good ;-)

Rum is basically sugar as well, so that probably would not be a good choice (actually most alcohol is "sugar" but rum is one of the highest).... If you cannot have sugar, I'm not sure there are many choices for you, although some alcohols have less sugars than others, if you not completely intolerant.

Alcoholic beverage, distilled, all (gin, rum, vodka, whiskey) 80 proof

from

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s02yo.html

Rum is made from sugar (actually from molasses, which is the by-product of

making sugar)

from

http://www.webtender.com/iforum/message.cgi?id=35650

Okay, so those of us just watching total calories, which is the best? No atkins for me!

calories in----------------------per ounce---------------per 100 g

Beer ----------------------------12------------------------41

Light beer------------------------8-------------------------28

Gin, rum, vodka, whisky, tequila---64-----------------------231

Brandy, cognac------------------50------------------------175

Crème de menthe----------------124-----------------------371

coffee liqueur--------------------117----------------------336

Sugar free Margarita??? :eek:

Why bother????

You might as well say

Diet Coke? Why Bother???

I eat fairly low carb, to maintain my weight and to reduce migraines, but I might like to have ONE frozen drink on my trip. The high amount of sugar in margarita mix (or any cocktail mix) makes it a BIG no-no. I would get dizzy, headachey, and all around sick if I had a "real" margarita. I also drink Minute Maid Light lemonade instead of the sugar-filled kind - same principle.

You might as well say

Diet Coke? Why Bother???

I eat fairly low carb, to maintain my weight and to reduce migraines, but I might like to have ONE frozen drink on my trip. The high amount of sugar in margarita mix (or any cocktail mix) makes it a BIG no-no. I would get dizzy, headachey, and all around sick if I had a "real" margarita. I also drink Minute Maid Light lemonade instead of the sugar-filled kind - same principle.

Wow...sorry about the migraines!! :( I've had a few of those (haven't had one in years, thank goodness) but I can certainly understand your not wanting to bring on one of those babies :eek:

I never knew sugar was something that would cause them...learn something new every day. :)

Can ONE Margarita really cause you a migraine???? Man, that must s*ck big time.

I've controlled my migraines and tension headaches with alternative methods...I'm still trying to kick the sinus headaches...can't seem to be able to stop those without OTC meds..yet, but I'm working on it.

As far as 'Diet Coke, why bother?"...well, I consider a diet soda something that is consumed pretty regularly...not many people have several Margaritas daily throughout the year...so to me it's a whole different story....

although :D there are some on this board that I suspect may be drinkin' heavily every day ;)

One really sugary drink or food item will bring on a MAJOR migraine for me, and being that the migraine pills I take cost $30 each, I like to keep those to a minimum!

Migraines can be triggered by cheese, chocolate, caffeine, yeast, nutrasweet, msg, sugar, nitrates/nitrates, and a few other things I can't recall right now. I find that if I keep my sugar intake LOW and avoid caffeine, msg, and nutrasweet TOTALLY, I do okay. When I was eating a sugary diet, cheese brought on migraines for me, but when my sugar is in check I can handle eating cheese. Fair tradeoff imo :-)

I don't "need" to drink any alcohol at all. Just thought a drink or two during the cruise might be nice. I think I'll just have some wine at the past guest party and leave it at that. Of course wine can bring on migraines too - ack - I just can't win!

Migraines can be triggered by cheese, chocolate, caffeine, yeast, nutrasweet, msg, sugar, nitrates/nitrates, and a few other things I can't recall right now. I find that if I keep my sugar intake LOW and avoid caffeine, msg, and nutrasweet TOTALLY, I do okay. When I was eating a sugary diet, cheese brought on migraines for me, but when my sugar is in check I can handle eating cheese. Fair tradeoff imo :-)

I don't "need" to drink any alcohol at all. Just thought a drink or two during the cruise might be nice. I think I'll just have some wine at the past guest party and leave it at that. Of course wine can bring on migraines too - ack - I just can't win!

I get them from eating too much salt or drinking too much red wine. Funny thing though, caffeine helps me get rid of mine. Kathy's suggestion of Tequila and Diet 7-Up is one I'm going to try. ;)

Hope you can find a good alternative for a foo foo drink on your cruise!

Caffeine DOES help with migraines, which is why some medicines contain caffeine. Problem is, it also causes godawful rebound headaches. If you don't get those, YOU ARE LUCKY! I instinctively reach for a caffeinated drink when I am feeling a migraine coming on - and if I have just a LITTLE that's sometimes enough to ward it off. Too much caffeine, though, and I end up in the ER getting a shot of demerol!!!

Personally I've been looking for a good flavored rum/vodka recipe to mimic some of the foofoos I love especially pina coladas!

I haven't tried them, but Cruzan Rum has several flavored rums including both a coconut and a pineapple flavored one. The Cruzan web site gives carb and calorie counts for the flavored rums as Calories: 56 per ounce and Carbs: 2.71 grams per ounce. They have a list of recipes at http://www.cruzanrum.com/recipes.html. I'm thinking the flavored rums may be a good alternative to Foo Foos.

(I'd never heard of Cruzan Rum before but they are sponsering the Kenny Chesney tour this year.)

Archived