Everything Shuts down for Carnival

JJPacer

Carnival was 2/14 – 2/17/2010. Here is some info on the carnival. Perhaps the most famous celebration in the Caribbean is Carnival, and Martinique throws its own kind of party. Carnival starts just before the beginning of Catholic Lent. But before this period of atonement begins, the streets of Martinique fill with the sounds of rhythmic drums, singing, and festive parades. Carnival, or Vaval as it is known by the islanders, lasts four days, and all business is put on hold.

If you enjoy this type of event, then visit during Carnival. Fort de France & Pointe du Bout (pronounced Point du Boo) close down about 2 PM. This means all stores are closed. Car rental offices are closed, including their return car parks, and the roads are closed to all traffic. You cannot return the car to the car rental office after about 2 PM. Check with them about the return time. So, if you travel outside the towns of Fort de France & Pointe du Bout, return by the time you are told, or you will have major headaches with the road closures. If not properly planned, it could cause you to miss the ship.

If you have specific plans for what you want to do, or you want to travel outside the cities of Forte de France & Pointe du Bout to other parts of the island, then consider changing the date of your cruise so you can visit and travel freely when it is NOT CARNIVAL time.

Several Caribbean Islands have Carnival. Some of the Carnivals occur in Aug. So check each of the islands you will visit to determine Carnival status and plan your cruise to meet your own traveling pleasure.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Carnival 2012 Starts Sunday, February 19, 2012

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/?fx=event&event_id=39660#fragment-1

AC

Can anyone tells us what to expect on Day 1 of Carnival. We will be there on Sunday Feb 19th. Will the Carnival start early in the day or is there time to do some sightseeing/shopping? Where is the best place to be to see what is going on?

Thanks

Diane

Can anyone tells us what to expect on Day 1 of Carnival. We will be there on Sunday Feb 19th. Will the Carnival start early in the day or is there time to do some sightseeing/shopping? Where is the best place to be to see what is going on?

Thanks

Diane

Hi Diane,

I haven't done my e-mail to the woman from the tourist board yet. Those are great questions that I will add to my e-mail.

Thanks,

Amaris

• 2 months later...
Hi Diane,

I haven't done my e-mail to the woman from the tourist board yet. Those are great questions that I will add to my e-mail.

Thanks,

Amaris

I will be there on Sunday as well. Does anyone know if the activities (parade...) will be within walking distance of the port at Fort-de-France? I emailed the only information site I could find online months ago but never got a reply.

I was there the day after Carnival which they call "Black and White day". They had parades right down the main street of Fort-de-France. I actually liked the Carnival celebration the day before in St Barts better as there were times the groups (some might call them gangs) of young men in their "group" colors sort of pushed their way through the crowds and intimidated a lot of the passengers of the HAL ship I was on. I stuck it out until it was time to board again but lots of passengers left early as the crowd and the parade where just getting started. There were floats and decorated cars as well as marching dancing groups in costumes and bands.

If your ship is going to be in port late enough, the parade was supposed to start at 3:30 but didn't get started until well after 4:00 so don't depend on any time given to you by the local authorities.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived