All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

where you able to use the internet in your cabin or did you have to go to a certain area. thanks for your help. diane

I read on a post a while back that internet service was in the cabins as well as up on the decks.

Just back from the Fantasy and the Bahamas. The ship looks wonderful. It was by far the smoothest sailing we have ever had. Had a WONDERFUL time!

We ate at the early seating at 6 pm in the Celebration Dining Room, table 267, for our party of 11. Our head waiter, Dylan, from India, was marvelous!!! He told us that the Fantasy was going to be sold in 6 months. I asked him why when they just completed all the fabulous changes. He said they did the upgrades so the ship could be sold for more money.

Although I have no reason to question Dylan, I do wonder about several things.

1. Southwest just announced plans to fly to Charleston in response to requests from clients who want to cruise. (Saw the Mayor on TV the morning after we got back.) He stated they will have numerous flights by the end of November.

2. The mayor discussed plans to build a real port. (That is certainly needed. The embarkation and debarkation part of this trip was unusual and uncomfortable, to say the least--but no fault of Carnivals--!)

3. Not related...but when will Carnival have dates for the summer of 2012 posted?

We are Platinum and yes, the free laundry is one of the best perks in the industry, we always take advantage of it. However, though you would save money by doing your own wash; for just a few more dollars; Carnival will take care of this with their special; why waste precious vacation time in a laundry room?

Mitch

You can put about twice the amount of laundry in the washer than in the bag for less cost. For $8, you furnish your detergent, rinse/softner, wash, and dry as opposed to $15 for the laundry bag.

And don't think I "waste" time in the laundry room waiting. I put the load in the washer and come back later to transfer to the dryer. Come back and hang them up and fold a few undies. Remember, I'm only talking about 4 days worth of laundry so it's not much and impacts the schedule very little and saves money. I am platinum as well and I let Carnival do mine since it is free and I save even more!

Too bad you aren't going on the 9-11-10 cruise...I'm from Clayton too and it would be neat to sail with someone so close to home! If you are like me you will find that any day on a cruise is better than a day at home ;) I have sailed in February and it was fine, but it can be a little chilly leaving.

Hope that you enjoy your cruise. Think you will find it very relaxing and addicting!

I'm from upstate SC and will be on the 9-11-10 sailing!!!!!

You can put about twice the amount of laundry in the washer than in the bag for less cost. For $8, you furnish your detergent, rinse/softner, wash, and dry as opposed to $15 for the laundry bag.

And don't think I "waste" time in the laundry room waiting. I put the load in the washer and come back later to transfer to the dryer. Come back and hang them up and fold a few undies. Remember, I'm only talking about 4 days worth of laundry so it's not much and impacts the schedule very little and saves money. I am platinum as well and I let Carnival do mine since it is free and I save even more!

Ok...so you do your own laundry....but let Carnival do some for free, because your Platinum?? But they will do ALL of it for free..??

Or did you mean you USED to use the laundry facilities UNTIL your were Platinum..

At any rate; even pre platinum, I just can't relate to carrying laundry into a laundry room on vacation; but for those that can, Kudos to Carnival for the less expensive option. RCCL does not have that option.

Mitch

Ok...so you do your own laundry....but let Carnival do some for free, because your Platinum?? But they will do ALL of it for free..??

Or did you mean you USED to use the laundry facilities UNTIL your were Platinum..

At any rate; even pre platinum, I just can't relate to carrying laundry into a laundry room on vacation; but for those that can, Kudos to Carnival for the less expensive option. RCCL does not have that option.

Mitch

Sorry Mtchg.....didn't mean to confuse. I used to do my laundry, but now let Carnival do it for free. And hey, I don't have a problem with those who can't relate to doing a little laundry while on vacation; to each their own. But, for some folks, sometimes money is an issue and saving every little bit helps. My whole point in my orginal post was to offer the poster who asked the question several options, not preferences.

Edited by Chief Cruiser

Newbie, here's the Reader's Digest version of the highlights:

Anytime Dining was the BEST! Loved that. Longest wait was on the formal night and it was maybe a 20 min. wait. Never had to wait on line. We just went next door to the lounge with our pager. Had two GREAT dinners...formal night and a great lamb chop dinner. We loved that chocolate melting dessert too.

Had a couple of fun days out by the pool. Went to a few of the shows and enjoyed those. Loved hanging out at the Majestic Bar where we did the daily Sudoku and Crossword puzzles. My H and I competed against each other. I always lost. :( We're smokers by the way, so that's why we ended up there quite a bit. It's a nice quiet area though with big picture windows. I remember on our Fantasy cruise in 2002 we hung out there a lot too.

Everything really was great. Of course I didn't wear half of what I packed! When will I learn? :)

Newbie, here's the Reader's Digest version of the highlights:

Anytime Dining was the BEST! Loved that. Longest wait was on the formal night and it was maybe a 20 min. wait. Never had to wait on line. We just went next door to the lounge with our pager. Had two GREAT dinners...formal night and a great lamb chop dinner. We loved that chocolate melting dessert too.

Had a couple of fun days out by the pool. Went to a few of the shows and enjoyed those. Loved hanging out at the Majestic Bar where we did the daily Sudoku and Crossword puzzles. My H and I competed against each other. I always lost. :( We're smokers by the way, so that's why we ended up there quite a bit. It's a nice quiet area though with big picture windows. I remember on our Fantasy cruise in 2002 we hung out there a lot too.

Everything really was great. Of course I didn't wear half of what I packed! When will I learn? :)

We have anytime dining as well. Am looking forward to the meals in the MDR! Our idea of eating out with 3 kids is Chili's/Friendly's, etc....LOL

So, they have daily crosswords??? Love that! Will need to add that to my notes, as well as another reminder to pack lightly:rolleyes: Thanks!!!

"Everything really was great. Of course I didn't wear half of what I packed! When will I learn?"

Here is how I do it: Pack everything you need for clothes and then the day before you leave take half of them back out.

Makes for an easy self-assist and look at how much room you made for those "Been there done that" T Shirts!

I'm so glad this thread was started! I was "appointed" (since I have a little cruising experience and the others have none) to be in charge of booking a cruise for a bunch of friends and we have settled on Carnival Fantasy's 5 day cruise to the Bahamas out of Charleston. I've been trying to find out as much as I can before booking...

Can someone give me a comparison between an inside cabin and an ocean view cabin? I'll be sailing with up to 11 people and there will be three of us in my cabin. Just wondered if we could get away with three adults in an inside cabin or if there really would be more room in an ocean view.

How cold can I expect Charleston to be in late January or early February? I'd also love to know how cold it will be on our trip to the Bahamas but I don't think the weather can be predicted that far into the future! My hope is to be able to hang out eating and drinking outside on the Lido on Sea Days and to be able to relax on a beach and swim in the Bahamas.

Does anyone know how long it realistically takes to drive from Pittsburgh PA to Charleston? Mapquest says about 11 hrs. I'm sure that's close, add some time for meals and rest stops... just a bit nervous about getting to the port on time. A few people in our group will be flying but we have at least two who are afraid to fly and the rest of us would rather save the $230+ each for airfare. Plus it will make for a memorable trip!!

Also wondering about the "booze cruise" in Nassau that proudpatriot mentioned earlier. That sounds just like the type of excursion my group would love!

I'm so glad this thread was started! I was "appointed" (since I have a little cruising experience and the others have none) to be in charge of booking a cruise for a bunch of friends and we have settled on Carnival Fantasy's 5 day cruise to the Bahamas out of Charleston. I've been trying to find out as much as I can before booking...

Can someone give me a comparison between an inside cabin and an ocean view cabin? I'll be sailing with up to 11 people and there will be three of us in my cabin. Just wondered if we could get away with three adults in an inside cabin or if there really would be more room in an ocean view.

How cold can I expect Charleston to be in late January or early February? I'd also love to know how cold it will be on our trip to the Bahamas but I don't think the weather can be predicted that far into the future! My hope is to be able to hang out eating and drinking outside on the Lido on Sea Days and to be able to relax on a beach and swim in the Bahamas.

Does anyone know how long it realistically takes to drive from Pittsburgh PA to Charleston? Mapquest says about 11 hrs. I'm sure that's close, add some time for meals and rest stops... just a bit nervous about getting to the port on time. A few people in our group will be flying but we have at least two who are afraid to fly and the rest of us would rather save the $230+ each for airfare. Plus it will make for a memorable trip!!

Also wondering about the "booze cruise" in Nassau that proudpatriot mentioned earlier. That sounds just like the type of excursion my group would love!

Personally I wouldn't put three adults in a cabin but it can be done. You can take turns showering in the spa area.

Driving from Pitt to Charleston will be about 11 hours but you have to keep in mind January or February up your way could be a very snowy drive. I would leave at least a day before you sailaway date. Your group flying could run into weather issues as well. This past February quite a few cruises missed our Miami departures due to the snow storms in the north east. It will be chilly leaving Charleston to be up on the decks. It will be chilly all the way until you get to mid Florida at least.

Charleston the end of January beginning of February can be pretty cold. This is subjective since I live here and we don't usually have snow but early Feb this year we did with enough to close stuff down as we don't have any equipment for this for the roads.

That being said anything below 70 is cold for me and sometimes in January you can hit some 70's but it is rare. The nightime lows can be as cold as the upper teens (but not often).

Just back from the Fantasy and the Bahamas. The ship looks wonderful. It was by far the smoothest sailing we have ever had. Had a WONDERFUL time!

We ate at the early seating at 6 pm in the Celebration Dining Room, table 267, for our party of 11. Our head waiter, Dylan, from India, was marvelous!!! He told us that the Fantasy was going to be sold in 6 months. I asked him why when they just completed all the fabulous changes. He said they did the upgrades so the ship could be sold for more money.

Although I have no reason to question Dylan, I do wonder about several things.

1. Southwest just announced plans to fly to Charleston in response to requests from clients who want to cruise. (Saw the Mayor on TV the morning after we got back.) He stated they will have numerous flights by the end of November.

2. The mayor discussed plans to build a real port. (That is certainly needed. The embarkation and debarkation part of this trip was unusual and uncomfortable, to say the least--but no fault of Carnivals--!)

3. Not related...but when will Carnival have dates for the summer of 2012 posted?

Carnival will hold on to the Fantasy well long enough to get their investment back from the Water Works and refurb project. Additionally, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to homeport it in Charleston only to pull it out in that short timeframe. I think Carnival's committment to Charleston was a long term one and the Fantasy is such a favorite of many Carnival cruisers, I think it will be a long time before Carnival thinks about getting rid of it.

It is also the mothership of the Fantasy class and holds tremedous historical value for Carnival as it was the first class of ships that really put Carnival on the cruising map with the Fantasy class expansion. It would surprise me if they ever sold it. Obviously, one day it is going to become more expensive to keep maintained and operating than the return and if I were in charge, I would just "retire" it like they do jersey's in baseball, football. Maybe open up a "Carnival Museum" and keep it permanently docked somewhere. Maybe even make it a hotel like the Queen Mary in California.

I may be totally wrong, but I think the Fantasy is going to be around a good bit longer. :)