First Princess Cruise. 20 questions.

wooter

Hi. Okay, not twenty, but close. I booked a 7-Days Alaska Gulf Southbound this summer on Coral Princess. First Princess cruise and first trip to Alaska - it will be awesome! Been reading/lurking some, but still have some unanswered questions. Hope its okay to ask them all in one [long] thread. Can anyone fill in the blanks (in my mind)? I appreciate any answers or suggestions. Thanks!

1. We have to check into the Anchorage Hospitality Center by 3PM for our Princess-booked rail transfer to Whittier. Will be have to check in again at the port for our room card before boarding?

2. The rail transfer leaves Anchorage at 4:30PM and arrives in Whittier at 6:30PM. (This seems to be cutting it close to sail away time, but it is through the cruise line so no worries.) But if this gets us to the ship close to or after our Traditional dinner seating time, do we get our dinner at the Horizon buffet (or any other open restaurant)? (I also assume that all the good specialty dinner reservation times, Sanctuary spots, and ship tours will be filled by the time we get there but we probably won't even notice with all the awesome views we weill see during the cruise!!)

3. When is the muster drill usually?

4. What are the complimentary beverages on board? Coffee, Water... any other? Hot tea? Are they available at any of the all-inclusive (AKA free) dining locations?

5. Are the passenger laundry room washers high-efficiency? Is everything that is sent to the ship's laundry service drycleaned or will they do a 'regular' load of wash for a passenger, as part of their services we can purchase?

6. It looks like the Sanctuary is in the middle of Deck 14. Does it include the whole deck on either side of the Lotus pool - from port to starboard railings (so that one can not walk from the front to the back of of deck 14 unless they have paid to use the Sanctuary?)

7. What two nights are formal nights?

8. What is breakfast time in the main dining room on disembarkment day?

9. Which docks tender (or might tender)? (There are 4 ships currently scheduled to be in each of the ports - Juneau, Ketchikan, Sagway)

10. Is the Yukon & White Pass RR (Princess-booked) excursion RT on the train (or do we take a bus/motorcoach back)?

11. I read there are no carry-on bags allowed on the Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter (Princess-booked) excursion. I understand that there is a size/weight limit there. Does this include DSLR cameras? I would think DSLRs are ok and can be brought [if passenger+camera<=250#], but just wanted to be reassured!

Again, thanks for any help. Even if you just glanced through it and moved on... it's alot to read!

I'll answer those I can below. Can't answer any of the specific Alaska ones, sorry!

Hi. Okay, not twenty, but close. I booked a 7-Days Alaska Gulf Southbound this summer on Coral Princess. First Princess cruise and first trip to Alaska - it will be awesome! Been reading/lurking some, but still have some unanswered questions. Hope its okay to ask them all in one [long] thread. Can anyone fill in the blanks (in my mind)? I appreciate any answers or suggestions. Thanks!

1. We have to check into the Anchorage Hospitality Center by 3PM for our Princess-booked rail transfer to Whittier. Will be have to check in again at the port for our room card before boarding?

2. The rail transfer leaves Anchorage at 4:30PM and arrives in Whittier at 6:30PM. (This seems to be cutting it close to sail away time, but it is through the cruise line so no worries.) But if this gets us to the ship close to or after our Traditional dinner seating time, do we get our dinner at the Horizon buffet (or any other open restaurant)? (I also assume that all the good specialty dinner reservation times, Sanctuary spots, and ship tours will be filled by the time we get there but we probably won't even notice with all the awesome views we weill see during the cruise!!)

3. When is the muster drill usually? It is usually just before sailaway (I think??)

4. What are the complimentary beverages on board? Coffee, Water... any other? Hot tea? Are they available at any of the all-inclusive (AKA free) dining locations? Coffee (syrup concentrate), tea, iced tea, water are available at buffet all day. Juices are available at breakfast and lemonade is available through the day (though some have had problems with the availability of this).

5. Are the passenger laundry room washers high-efficiency? Is everything that is sent to the ship's laundry service drycleaned or will they do a 'regular' load of wash for a passenger, as part of their services we can purchase? Have no idea about efficiency, but yes there is a "regular" laundry service offered by the ship for a fee.

6. It looks like the Sanctuary is in the middle of Deck 14. Does it include the whole deck on either side of the Lotus pool - from port to starboard railings (so that one can not walk from the front to the back of of deck 14 unless they have paid to use the Sanctuary?) From memory, I think it goes from port to starboard, I'm sure someone will say if I'm wrong

7. What two nights are formal nights? Usually sea day nights (if that makes sense!)

8. What is breakfast time in the main dining room on disembarkment day? From memory again, I think it was something like 7am - 9am, but again I am sure someone will pipe up if I'm wrong!

9. Which docks tender (or might tender)? (There are 4 ships currently scheduled to be in each of the ports - Juneau, Ketchikan, Sagway)

10. Is the Yukon & White Pass RR (Princess-booked) excursion RT on the train (or do we take a bus/motorcoach back)?

11. I read there are no carry-on bags allowed on the Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter (Princess-booked) excursion. I understand that there is a size/weight limit there. Does this include DSLR cameras? I would think DSLRs are ok and can be brought [if passenger+camera<=250#], but just wanted to be reassured!

Again, thanks for any help. Even if you just glanced through it and moved on... it's alot to read!

1. We have to check into the Anchorage Hospitality Center by 3PM for our Princess-booked rail transfer to Whittier. Will be have to check in again at the port for our room card before boarding? I haven't done the Southbound, but I would guess they may do the check in process in Anchorage. If they do it in Whittier, it should take that long. I have always found Princess to be very efficient.

2. The rail transfer leaves Anchorage at 4:30PM and arrives in Whittier at 6:30PM. (This seems to be cutting it close to sail away time, but it is through the cruise line so no worries.) But if this gets us to the ship close to or after our Traditional dinner seating time, do we get our dinner at the Horizon buffet (or any other open restaurant)? (I also assume that all the good specialty dinner reservation times, Sanctuary spots, and ship tours will be filled by the time we get there but we probably won't even notice with all the awesome views we weill see during the cruise!!) I'm not sure on this one. We've always done anytime dining.

3. When is the muster drill usually? Usually just shortly before leaving port.[/color]

4. What are the complimentary beverages on board? Coffee, Water... any other? Hot tea? Are they available at any of the all-inclusive (AKA free) dining locations? You can get water, coffee (not specialty coffee), iced tea, and lemonade free. You can also get hot tea. Horizon Court has hot water available, with several different types of tea so you can make your own.

5. Are the passenger laundry room washers high-efficiency? Is everything that is sent to the ship's laundry service drycleaned or will they do a 'regular' load of wash for a passenger, as part of their services we can purchase? I can't help you here. I've never used the laundry facilities.

6. It looks like the Sanctuary is in the middle of Deck 14. Does it include the whole deck on either side of the Lotus pool - from port to starboard railings (so that one can not walk from the front to the back of of deck 14 unless they have paid to use the Sanctuary?) I've never been on the Coral Princess, but I would expect this is the case.

7. What two nights are formal nights? Formal Nights are generally on sea days. So one is probably on the day between Ketchikan and Vancouver. The other may possibly be on a scenic cruising day.

8. What is breakfast time in the main dining room on disembarkment day? I'm not sure. I always have breakfast at the Horizon Court.

9. Which docks tender (or might tender)? (There are 4 ships currently scheduled to be in each of the ports - Juneau, Ketchikan, Sagway) If there are 4 ships in Skagway, you shouldn't have to tender. I've seen a few ships tender in Ketchkan and Juneau (I think), but have been lucky enough to not have to tender anywhere in Alaska. (That will change this year on our RT on the Royal...You have to tender in Icy Strait Point)

10. Is the Yukon & White Pass RR (Princess-booked) excursion RT on the train (or do we take a bus/motorcoach back)? I depends on which excursion you booked. There are a few different ones. I have done the one that is RT on the train. I believe there is also one where you go one way on the train and return on the motorcoach.

11. I read there are no carry-on bags allowed on the Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter (Princess-booked) excursion. I understand that there is a size/weight limit there. Does this include DSLR cameras? I would think DSLRs are ok and can be brought [if passenger+camera<=250#], but just wanted to be reassured! I haven't done the Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter, but I did do Glacier Helicopter tour (through Princess) in Skagway. I had no problem taking my DSLR. I only take 2 lenses and the bag is pretty compact compared to some I've seen.

Have a great trip. Alaska is amazing. It is one of my favorite places.

5. Are the passenger laundry room washers high-efficiency? Is everything that is sent to the ship's laundry service drycleaned or will they do a 'regular' load of wash for a passenger, as part of their services we can purchase?

High efficiency washers? I have no idea, they are just standard laundramat type washers/dryers. In fact, the dryers are more like the ones you find in most homes except they have a coin machine attached.

They will not do a 'load' of wash for you if you send it into the ships laundry, it will be washed in HUGE washers and everything goes into the dryer. They do not do each cabins laundry seperately, but all together in the ships laundry.

Did a load of wash on our cruise last month and it is $1 for a washer and $1 for a dryer. The washer takes 37 minutes to complete its cycle so by our standards at home it is not efficient but the clothes come out clean.

Just make sure you go at non peak times to avoid the rush. Save your quarters. Our coin machine was out of order for the entire cruise so we just went to the next floor to get our change.

High efficiency washers? I have no idea, they are just standard laundramat type washers/dryers. In fact, the dryers are more like the ones you find in most homes except they have a coin machine attached.

They will not do a 'load' of wash for you if you send it into the ships laundry, it will be washed in HUGE washers and everything goes into the dryer. They do not do each cabins laundry seperately, but all together in the ships laundry.

3. When is the muster drill usually? - usually within a few hours of boarding

4. What are the complimentary beverages on board? Coffee, Water... any other? Hot tea? Are they available at any of the all-inclusive (AKA free) dining locations? - Coffee, tea, lemonade are available in the horizon court. some people don't like the coffee and opt for the fresh brewed stuff in the international cafe, I think it was $1.25 for a to-go cup or included if you get a coffee card. The water on board is quite good (filtered)

5. Are the passenger laundry room washers high-efficiency? Is everything that is sent to the ship's laundry service drycleaned or will they do a 'regular' load of wash for a passenger, as part of their services we can purchase? - I love that they have self serve laundry, there are irons there also. You should bring quarters or be ready to make a trip to the purser's desk. I also brought our own detergent and dryer sheets. The cost for the machines was $1 wash & $1 dry. they did the trick.. I don;'t think they are Hi-Eff though.

6. It looks like the Sanctuary is in the middle of Deck 14. Does it include the whole deck on either side of the Lotus pool - from port to starboard railings (so that one can not walk from the front to the back of of deck 14 unless they have paid to use the Sanctuary?) - On the Emerald the Sanctuary was above the Lotus pool and I think it took up the front part of that deck. I don't recall being able to walk around the front of the Sanctuary, but there may be a way.

7. What two nights are formal nights? - It varies by ship & itinerary, your cruise docs will have that info for you..

8. What is breakfast time in the main dining room on disembarkment day? I know that they open and close a bit earlier, maybe a copyof someone's patters can be more specific

Have a great cruise!

Re: docking vs. tendering, one place you can check on that are the websites for the ports. I did this for my Alaskan cruise some years ago and found cruise calendars on each site. A couple did list which berth (or T for tender) for each ship.

I do remember that in Juneau we did the scenic cruising in the early AM, arrived in Juneau and anchored as all the berths were full. During the afternoon when one ship left, our ship took its place. We showed up while this was going on so we had to wait to get back on the ship.

6. It looks like the Sanctuary is in the middle of Deck 14. Does it include the whole deck on either side of the Lotus pool - from port to starboard railings (so that one can not walk from the front to the back of of deck 14 unless they have paid to use the Sanctuary?)

Not sure of exactly what you mean by "the middle of deck 14". The Sanctuary is at the far aft of the deck. It does go the entire width of the deck, but there is nothing aft of the area. So you can't walk around the deck in a circle. Anything forward of the Sanctuary itself - including the entire Lotus Spa (perhaps you mistook that for the sanctuary) and the aft elevators are public space and no fees are required. In other words, the only area requiring Sanctuary payment is the Sanctuary!

Shalom, Andy.

We went last year and it was a bus up to the Yukon and a bus halfway back and then the train. It was a fantastic trip and I would highly recommend it.

We were alongside in all ports. Your itinerary in Princess.com should show which ports are tendering.

The Sanctuary on the Coral is at the stern of the ship and includes the small aft pool (marked teen centre pool on the deck plan). the Lotus Pool is accessible to everyone and nothing to do with the Sanctuary.

It is a fabulous cruise. Have a great time!

1. We have to check into the Anchorage Hospitality Center by 3PM for our Princess-booked rail transfer to Whittier. Will be have to check in again at the port for our room card before boarding? Yes you will get off the train and go through the normal embarkation lines. They do send your luggage on to your cabin so you won't see it again after you give it to the porters at the train. Nice ride, very senic and relaxing.

2. The rail transfer leaves Anchorage at 4:30PM and arrives in Whittier at 6:30PM. (This seems to be cutting it close to sail away time, but it is through the cruise line so no worries.) But if this gets us to the ship close to or after our Traditional dinner seating time, do we get our dinner at the Horizon buffet (or any other open restaurant)? (I also assume that all the good specialty dinner reservation times, Sanctuary spots, and ship tours will be filled by the time we get there but we probably won't even notice with all the awesome views we weill see during the cruise!!) First night on the ship they have open seating in the dinning rooms, the second night you will get your table if you have assigned seating.

3. When is the muster drill usually?

4. What are the complimentary beverages on board? Coffee, Water... any other? Hot tea? Are they available at any of the all-inclusive (AKA free) dining locations?

5. Are the passenger laundry room washers high-efficiency? Is everything that is sent to the ship's laundry service drycleaned or will they do a 'regular' load of wash for a passenger, as part of their services we can purchase? No high efficiency washer (front load), just the regular top load. Do put some powder soap in baggies for wash along with a couple of dryer fabric sheets.

7. What two nights are formal nights?

8. What is breakfast time in the main dining room on disembarkment day?

Hope that has all your questions answered :)

Awesome! Thank you for all the answers so quickly. I really appreciate the replies!! I had no idea where the Sanctuary was, so I guessed (incorrectly) that is was the Lotus pool. Thanks for clarifying the location. Again, thank you for all the replies!

I don't know what high efficiency means, but I was just on the Coral and did laundry twice. Both times, the dryer got my stuff completely dry in one cycle, which is all I care about efficiency-wise! But someone above said the washing machines were top-loading and I could have sworn they were the kind with glass doors in the front? And they didn't have a lot of capacity. Maybe someone else who paid attention to that will chime in; I know Pia and Pam both sailed on her recently, too. I'm mentioning this because someone told me once that the glass-door washers take a different kind of laundry detergent, so you may want to just wait and buy what they have on the ship in case you bring the wrong stuff (geez, who knew laundry could be so complicated!).

I don't know what high efficiency means, but I was just on the Coral and did laundry twice. Both times, the dryer got my stuff completely dry in one cycle, which is all I care about efficiency-wise! But someone above said the washing machines were top-loading and I could have sworn they were the kind with glass doors in the front? And they didn't have a lot of capacity. Maybe someone else who paid attention to that will chime in; I know Pia and Pam both sailed on her recently, too.
I'm Elite and sent out my laundry every other day or so. :) Spending a fortune and cruising a lot of days has it's privileges.

The type of washer and dryer depends on the ship and laundry room. Sometimes they are stacked on top of each other, other times they are side-by-side. They usually do a pretty good job for the price. I always went at about 4:00pm in the afternoon and never had a problem getting a washer or two; everything would be done by 5:30pm.

Archived