API and ESTA ?

smallestdog

My cruise starts from a US port and ends in Vancouver, after which I am flying back to the US for a few days, and then home.

I hold a VWP passport, and have obtained my ESTA electronically in advance of my initial entry into the US, understand the ESTA is valid for 2 years.

With that valid ESTA already in place, do I still need to complete what Air Canada calls the "Advance Passenger Information" online form to re-enter US ? AC site states that this API has to be done 72 hours in advance of the flight into US.

I have been trying unsuccessfully for days to do the API online at AC's website, but keep getting a "Technical Error" message:confused:. Its so frustrating.

Can I just ignore the 72 hr requirement and provide the API information at check in at YVR instead (assuming its a separate thing from the ESTA) ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

To the best of my knowledge....

The API is separate from all visa and other entry requirements, as all passengers must submit the info, even USA citizens.

My suggestion: When in the USA before the start of your cruise, give AC a call and submit the info over the telephone. Or call AC from your location (undisclosed) via Skype.

Thanks FlyerTalker. Will probably have to do that.

Sent an email to Air Canada on the technical errors I'm getting on their online submission and got an automatic response that indicates a processing time of 15 business days for my query. :eek: Good grief.

You guys were right, I did call in the end and after a 15 min wait for an available operator, AC was v helpful on the phone (sort of makes up for their crappy online system) :D

The moment I mentioned I had an upcoming flight to US, the nice lady immediately said she could help me with manual input of the API information. So I guess this kind of call is fairly routine for them. :cool:

Archived