Newbie to hal

gcollins

First off, Welcome to CC!!!!

Here is a photo that CC member TM Weddie sent me for the HAL Staterooms/Cabins Photos page. This photo shows one of the lifeboat views from stateroom 5091:

Joanie

Hmmm. That's a lot closer to the lifeboats than we were. I hope my previous response wasn't misleading.

Joan

Last cruise was the first time we had a balcony overlooking the lifeboats. Ideally, I would prefer not to have them but considering the price difference between lifeboats and no lifeboats it was not worthing paying the extra. The balconys over the lifeboats are also more shallow.

I think you are going to enjoy the upscale difference. The service is amazing. Report back after your cruise, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi gcollins. I'm 38 and was on the Oosterdam (sister ship to Zuiderdam) in January (Mexican Riviera). It was my first time on HAL too. I can tell you that I actually didn't notice the demograpics on the ship. What this tells me is that it didn't stand out in any way as being an "older crowd". I felt completely at home, fit in, and had a great time. I'm not into late night partying but I enjoy the cocktail lounges, spent lots of time at the pool, loved the culinary arts centre, dinners, shows, etc. etc. There was always something to do. The ship really had all ages. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that we're boarding the Zuiderdam this June to go to Alaska!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi gcollins. I'm 38 and was on the Oosterdam (sister ship to Zuiderdam) in January (Mexican Riviera). It was my first time on HAL too. I can tell you that I actually didn't notice the demograpics on the ship. What this tells me is that it didn't stand out in any way as being an "older crowd". I felt completely at home, fit in, and had a great time. I'm not into late night partying but I enjoy the cocktail lounges, spent lots of time at the pool, loved the culinary arts centre, dinners, shows, etc. etc. There was always something to do. The ship really had all ages. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that we're boarding the Zuiderdam this June to go to Alaska!

Thanks so much for the update!!!!!! Nice to hear. Glad you had a good time. I'm getting excited...October is not that far away!

And we booked the Private Oasis at Half Moon Cay....CAn't wait!

Welcome to HAL, just wanted to give you some info on this cruise as we did it a few years ago on the Rotterdam. At that time of year there will mostly be older people on board especially that it is a 10 day cruise. We are in our early 40's and pretty much every HAL cruise we take except the one's in the summer (or at holiday time) have an average age group of 55 + but have never thought of this as an issue or problem.

On our 20 day cruise the captain announced that the average age group on our ship was 72.

That being said we love HAL, the staff, the service, the food, everything. There is always some younger people on board (30's and up) and we always meet people up in the crow's nest bar, which is a great bar to go to after dinner and shows. Plus it does not matter the age as most people are there to have fun.

The spa is amazing, the thermal suite and hydro pool is bliss and I often have to wake my husband up when he starts snoring on the heated lounge chairs.

Half Moon Cay - without a doubt rent the cabana and do it now if you can as they book up really fast. One of our best day's was the private cabana with butler service.

Costa Rica - many people went zip lining and loved this excursion. Beats the tour of the banana farm.

Aruba - Tell the taxi driver to take you to the beach by the Radisson they rent chairs and umbrellas plus it is right next to the "Bugaloe" Beach Bar which has the most amazing views along with amazing inexpensive food. We go to Aruba twice a year and this place is not to be missed.

Curacao - probably "Mambo" beach as I think the cruise line takes everyone to the seaquarium beach.

We always take the late dining and don't worry so do a lot of people. The wait staff in the dining room is amazing and so is the food. Never once saw knitting classes....Have an amazing trip.:)

Not a comment HAL, as we've not crusied them yet and deciding if HAL or Celebrity for next year, but about demographics.

From what I've see it is the length of the cruise/time of year that drives the demographic as much as line. I mean 4 night cruise in the Summer and you're @ a Chucky Cheese in the H2O, 14 night cruise during the fall before Thanksgiving & you're @ the VFW on WWI Veterans only night. I exaggerate a little bit you know what I mean.

Our 14 day repo over the fall but myself (then 38) as one of the 10 youngest cruisers, not a bad thing. Our cruise over spring break but us in the middle to older group, not a bad thing.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

We're heading to Alaska in less than a week on the Zuiderdam. I'm interested in the spa passes. Can you purchase them ahead of time or do you wait until you're on the ship? Does the spa pass enable you to use the thermal suite with heated chairs? I've heard you can sit in them and enjoy the scenery at the same time.

Does the spa pass enable you to use the thermal suite with heated chairs?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and an emphatic YES!!! :D

I've heard you can sit in them and enjoy the scenery at the same time.

Watching scenery while on the loungers is kind of hard, unless there's high mountains for scenery. The loungers have you lying back, with your head in a resting position. That, the soft music, the running water, and the warmth of the loungers themselves---well, you likely will just close your eyes and drift off.

Heavenly!

Archived