That's odd. . .

justfoxie

So I have just about talked my DH into cruising to NY on the 28th sailing on QM2 and was going to call my TA tomorrow to put down our deposit, except my TA called me today to say that Cunard had pulled all the staterooms from that sailing. The other option I was given was a sailing from Hamburg two days earlier, but would arrive in NY at the same time the 28th cruise was scheduled to. Although the price difference isn't that great, I was actually kind of looking forward to just being able to take the train from London and hop on the boat directly. The TA said that I could just miss out those two days and embark at Southampton as normal, but that seems awfully risky (what if they mark us as no shows?) and would still mean I was paying for two "extra" days.

This whole thing seems a little strange to me and was wondering if you experienced Cunard cruisers had any insights into what might be going on? I've contacted about 3 other TAs and they're all giving me the same story. Is this normal?

I am not sure which 28th you are talking about but if it is May, it looks like the departure on the 28th is a 4 day Europe trip. The next TA after the QM2 arrives in Southampton on May 28th is June 1 to New York. Check the Cunard site directly and look for your dates there and see what you find.

http://cunard.com/ Click on "Plan your voyage"

*smacks head* sorry, it's the 28th of August sailing. Will amend my original post. The Cunard site is also being weird about that sailing - sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't. Any ideas?

Or rather I would amend my post, but it's not letting me *sigh* Sorry about that!

Any ideas?

It is probably a question of profit-maximising capacity control similiar to the handling of world cruises when eg. you can book the whole world cruise but not certain segments.

The crossing was originally offered from Southampton and, with two more nights, from Hamburg. In situations of this kind cruise lines often set aside certain numbers of cabins for the various options.

The company wants to balance the number of passenger embarking and disembarking in both ports Hamburg and Southampton.

Depending on the booking situation and cancellations, cabins might show up again for your choice or not.

It is probably a question of profit-maximising capacity control similiar to the handling of world cruises when eg. you can book the whole world cruise but not certain segments.

The crossing was originally offered from Southampton and, with two more nights, from Hamburg. In situations of this kind cruise lines often set aside certain numbers of cabins for the various options.

The company wants to balance the number of passenger embarking and disembarking in both ports Hamburg and Southampton.

Depending on the booking situation and cancellations, cabins might show up again for your choice or not.

Agreed - it's a rather strange voyage that one because, as well as the additional two days from Hamburg to Soton, after NYC, the ship goes on up to Quebec, then returns to NYC, then does an eastbound back to Soton. I imagine it must be pretty complex to administer with some people doing just the crossings (with some doing the short Hambur-Soton leg and others not), some doing just the NYC>Quebec>NYC sector, and others doing the entire cruise Hambur/Soton>Quebec>Soton.

J

Yes I have found the Cunard website odd about that 'strange' voyage- we are booked on it so I hope all will be well.

As Cruachan says, it does seem complex. We booked around October for the whole trip from Southampton, through an agent, and was told that it was booking quickly.

Shortly afterwards, there were adverts for the same sailing with various options in USA for the middle part. As it is quite a long time between the two TAs, there seemed to be quite interesting options with the whole of this trip.

I haven't seen it advertised for quite some time so I am assuming that certainly the 28th August is either fully or almost booked up.

I can't find anything in the enrichment programmes because of the various 26th/28th August dates and non-existent voyages. All very strange.:confused:

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused then! I'm going to run with carlmm's explanation, since that's the only one going. =) Still, shame it happened right before I got we got our slot locked in. Oh well, teach DH to question my travel whims in future ;)

I'll get on the waitlist now and cross our fingers that a cabin comes open.

Thanks all, and with any luck I'll be joining some of you on the 28th!

Now here's some good news - our TA called and they had a spot come available! Price was perfect so we booked it. :D It's a guarantee cabin, so a bit of the luck of the draw come sailing day, but we're happy with that.

I'm so excited I can barely sit still!

Now here's some good news - our TA called and they had a spot come available! Price was perfect so we booked it. :D It's a guarantee cabin, so a bit of the luck of the draw come sailing day, but we're happy with that.

So pleased for you, now you can look forward to your trip.

Catherine

It's a guarantee cabin, so a bit of the luck of the draw come sailing day, but we're happy with that.

You will probably find out your cabin from your Voyage Personaliser several weeks before sailing day - but can still be upgraded at the pier on the day. I usually book guarantee cabins and have always been pleased or delighted with the results....and you have every reason to feel excited....

That is brilliant news!

Thanks Catherine! I've been looking for an excuse for a short cruise this year and this one fits in so well with our other travel plans. I see you did a similar cruise last year. How did you find it?

Thanks GuernseyGuy! We booked a guarantee for our cruise last summer and ended up getting upgraded into a balcony, which was fantastic. I doubt we'll have the same good luck again, but we'll have a fantastic time no matter what. It seems like it would be hard not to on QM2.

Thanks heywood - we think so too! I do feel kind of silly getting concerned yesterday though. Now I know.

Archived