Whats the point in complaining?

After a below par cruise, with some rude and arrogant staff amongst other things, besides filling in my guest survey, I emailed a complaint. I recieved an instant reply to say it would take 48 hours for someone to respond....

(its been a week now...)

I guess I will never get a reply! Anyone else had the same??

The same thing happened to me after I sent an e-mail a complaint on our Nov '08 cruise. I didn't even get a generic apology...it's like my feedback was just pushed aside. It's disappointing = (. I'm in the hotel industry and we reply back to all negative comments we receive b/c we care about if someone has a negative experience--it's a great learning tool.

After a below par cruise, with some rude and arrogant staff amongst other things, besides filling in my guest survey, I emailed a complaint. I recieved an instant reply to say it would take 48 hours for someone to respond....

(its been a week now...)

The direct number in the UK is 01932 834 330 or custserv.uk@rccl.com.

I think you may find that all UK staff have been a little busy this week with the volcano.

If you have a complaint you really need to address it onboard the ship. Then if you want to follow-up or escalate it afterwards there is a record of it for them to investigate. Otherwise it is just one of thousands of complaints they get from unhappy passengers.

If you have a complaint you really need to address it onboard the ship. Then if you want to follow-up or escalate it afterwards there is a record of it for them to investigate. Otherwise it is just one of thousands of complaints they get from unhappy passengers.

Hmmm, one would think that there might just be a few problems that need addressing if there are literally thousands of complaints - starting with actually acknowledging and responding to those complaints. :rolleyes:

Give them a little more time then follow up, follow up, follow up.

No, give them the finger and plan your next vacation on another cruise line. If a compnay can't be bothered to follow up on feedback they requested then why even give it. After all the BS we had on our last cruise I would have thought someone might have called to apologize. I was wrong so I'll be spending my dollars elsewhere.

No, give them the finger and plan your next vacation on another cruise line. If a compnay can't be bothered to follow up on feedback they requested then why even give it. After all the BS we had on our last cruise I would have thought someone might have called to apologize. I was wrong so I'll be spending my dollars elsewhere.

wo why are u hanging out in the RC part of the board

I wish more companies took this type of thing seriously. It is much easier to retain customers, than to draw in new ones. You would think that they would treat those repeat $s as important, but alas it seems many companies do not. Thankfully I have yet to have a poor cruise experience, but I am always saddened to hear of others who have.

I wish more companies took this type of thing seriously. It is much easier to retain customers, than to draw in new ones. You would think that they would treat those repeat $s as important, but alas it seems many companies do not. Thankfully I have yet to have a poor cruise experience, but I am always saddened to hear of others who have.

Our last cruise experience was not great. On our feedback survey we requested someone contact us so we could explain all the issues we have. We left email addresses and phone numbers but three weeks later no one has attempted to contact us.

This was our worst cruise of the nine we have been on. Unfortunately for us and ultimately RCCL we are considering other lines now. We do have a free cruise for two we need to book from our RCCL Visa card. After that it looks like some other line will get our money.

wo why are u hanging out in the RC part of the board

Becasue i still have a free cruise for two on RCCL from using their visa card. I'm not very happy with RCCL and from reading this forum I am not alone. I have not sworn off RCCL but we will be looking at other lines after our free cruise.

Becasue i still have a free cruise for two on RCCL from using their visa card. I'm not very happy with RCCL and from reading this forum I am not alone. I have not sworn off RCCL but we will be looking at other lines after our free cruise.

We went on AOS 3 years ago and it was not a good experience but it was not our first cruise so it was not as bad as it could have been. The following year, same ship, same week, we went back and it was a vastly different experience, almost like it was a totally different ship and cruise line. We were pleasantly surprised. I think the bad experience the first time on AOS was the staff.

The point is that sometimes if the staff is not on par, not trained, new etc, it can really effect the experience. I am so sorry you had a bad experience and I hope some one gets back to you and your next cruise is a totally different experience.

Nope you are not alone. There´s some unhappy people on every cruise line, Internet Forum, actually all over the world;):rolleyes:

Have you ever consider that maybe its not the cruiseline but the ship itself. Don't give up on the cruiseline just yet give the cruiseline another try but on a different ship. You also have to realize that if the ship you were on has 3000 passengers that is 3000 comment cards that Miami has to read. Now multiply those 3,000 cards by all the comment cards coming from all the ships that RCL has fleet wide. Give it a another week and then followup with a phone call to the number provided by Albert Ross. Be nice and respectfull to the person answering the phone because they are not the ones who were disresepectful to you on the ship, they are only the person answering the phone and taking down your message. If like me (I'm only a secretary where I work not an administrator) they might be the lowest person on the, so called, totem pole.

And, it is true that you can catch more flies with honey.

In a free market, unhappy cruisers can go to other cruise lines. What I wonder, though, is if they will have a substantially better experience on a comparably priced cruise line.

For me, a cruise line would indeed have to offer a remarkably superior experience for the same price as RCI in order for me to make a switch. Which mass market cruise line is doing that?

(its been a week now...)

If your purpose is to receive compensation, a complaint to home office is the proper route, but expect a delay.

There are likely a few hundred in line ahead of you. :p

If you want to corrrect an issue with "rude and arrogant staff", there's a method that results in instant behavior correction:

Write a note to the Hotel Manager. Briefly describe the behavior and identify the offender(s) by name. That is quick and effective.

One thing to also consider when emailing, or sending a letter in the mail, is how the letter is written. If it is poorly written, full of anger, full of demands, vague, or just nasty in general, then it won't get past the gatekeeper. not saying the OP was this way, however in reading some of the complaint posts on this site for some time, it would make one wonder why they should ever expect anything back in a response from the cruise line.

I have no idea what you might expect other than an apology from the cruise line. If you feel a staff or crew member has been rude to you, it needs to be addressed right then and there.

Rude and/or arrogant can mean different things to different people. I think I've read too many complaints here on CC where people have the perception of staff being rude to them if they don't get their way. One has to wonder how their behavior to the staff was represented, we're all only human and react negatively to mistreatment (this goes both ways). Whether in person or in a letter, being kind will get a more positive response than an angry or accusatory one.

I hope the OP finds a solution to their feelings. But give it time, I've been surprised to hear from them 2 months after I wrote to a cruise line... and that was for a letter of praise for the staff.

Mmm... no, I'll stand by my advice... especially since OP said on another thread that he actually LIKES RC and this cruise was his one outlier bad experience.

Patience and appropriate follow ups will get the OP an answer. Whether OP will get a satisfactory answer is another issue entirely.

The Cruiser Comment Cards are a "Big Deal" on the ships! :eek:

I have been on a number of Back-to-Back Cruises and about an hour or so after everyone has gotten off the ship a general announcement to the crew occurs with the results of the Comment Cards. I suspect that they are scanned and automatically totaled (excluding the written comments) and the results are probably reported to the Home Office.

In each case, the announcements have addressed the summaries of the bubbled entries on the cards.

The best advise is to report problems as they occur!

We were on a RCI cruise and the Sirloin Steaks on the Alternate MDR Menu were terrible! When my Wife got the first one we assumed it was simply a single bad one but the next night is was just as bad and three others at our table had them and they agreed. We asked for the Head Waiter to come see us and we expressed our concern. The next night he came to our table and apologized to us all. He said that they had tried them and apparently they had gotten a bad batch from their supplier. A few days later I ran into the Hotel Director and mentioned it to him and he said that the issue had already been raised to him and that they were changing suppliers for the next cruise.

I have found over the years and 26 RCI cruises that the Head Waiters are among the most caring of all of the crew members. Even it it is not a MDR related problem, they will pass a problem on to the right person. :)

We completed our comment cards so service can be improved. I do not expect compensation. I’m not going to bother following up because we are not looking for a handout. I blame myself partly for the bad experience we had. When offered the Ben & Jerry Sweet I thought it would be a fun cabin to have. I never checked the deck plan to learn the midship service area was adjacent to our cabin. This was our 4th time with my time dining. The first three were excellent experiences. This time was the exact opposite. We often joked on the way to dinner what could go wrong after the experiences we had the first two nights.

Our last four cruises have been on RCCL. This past one was a let down from the excellent experiences we have had. Maybe expecting the same experience we’ve had on other RCCL ships is our fault. Maybe RCCL is slipping in the service department. Maybe taking the best people to staff the Oasis is leading to problems on other ships. I don’t know the answer but I do know that we are not afraid to explore other lines to see what they have to offer. Living on the east coast of Florida gives us access to all the ports and the various ships that cruise from them.

We completed our comment cards so service can be improved. I do not expect compensation. I’m not going to bother following up because we are not looking for a handout. I blame myself partly for the bad experience we had. When offered the Ben & Jerry Sweet I thought it would be a fun cabin to have. I never checked the deck plan to learn the midship service area was adjacent to our cabin. This was our 4th time with my time dining. The first three were excellent experiences. This time was the exact opposite. We often joked on the way to dinner what could go wrong after the experiences we had the first two nights.

Our last four cruises have been on RCCL. This past one was a let down from the excellent experiences we have had. Maybe expecting the same experience we’ve had on other RCCL ships is our fault. Maybe RCCL is slipping in the service department. Maybe taking the best people to staff the Oasis is leading to problems on other ships. I don’t know the answer but I do know that we are not afraid to explore other lines to see what they have to offer. Living on the east coast of Florida gives us access to all the ports and the various ships that cruise from them.

What ship did you have your problem on, wasn't Freedom by any chance was it?

Archived