Made the booking - first ever cruise

Having never been on a cruise - but always promised ourselves to do so one day - my wife and I have planned a 5 week holiday over Christmas & New Year that will end with a Caribbean cruise.

I found cruise critic, and have been following the reviews and boards - and asking the odd question or two. We made the decision on HAL, and have now booked on Eurodam on January 15th next year for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise.

Thanks to all the guys who contribute and give tips - I have now got a good feel of some of the things to do and places to eat, but want to balance it with not overplanning and leaving some spontineity.

Booked the balcony cabin, will make reservations in advance for Tamarind & Pinnacle Grill and order a wine card (or two)!

A very big congrats!

You will love HAL. Enjoy your cruise and the simple pleasure of being at sea.

Oh - word of advice - be prepared to say goodbye to your disposable income. I think many would agree here that the first cruise leads to something of a habit... :)

A very big congrats!

You will love HAL. Enjoy your cruise and the simple pleasure of being at sea.

]Oh - word of advice - be prepared to say goodbye to your disposable income. [/color]I think many would agree here that the first cruise leads to something of a habit... :)

I agree with this -- you will enjoy HAL, a very good cruise line.

Our 1st cruise was 2002 and just loved it, we planned to cruise every 2 years. 2002 - 2004 then something happened 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - 2010 some as close as 6 months, so you see it can become somewhat of a habit. We have enjoyed every cruise. 2010 might just end up with 2 cruises.

... I have now got a good feel of some of the things to do and places to eat, but want to balance it with not overplanning and leaving some spontineity...

Excellent plan, and attitude! Enjoy your first cruise! (And your second, and third, and... ;) )

You will certainly enjoy the decision you made to sail with HAL.

In case you haven't read about it, you can bring as much wine and champagne, water and colas onboard as you like-a really nice benefit that most lines don't allow including Princess and Carnival.

Why not take some of the great wines from Africa to celebrate with.

Bob

In case you haven't read about it, you can bring as much wine and champagne, water and colas onboard as you like-a really nice benefit that most lines don't allow including Princess and Carnival.

Why not take some of the great wines from Africa to celebrate with.

Bob,

I have noted people saying that you can take your own wine aboard, but we will have been travelling for 4 weeks before we get to Fort Lauderdale and will need to travel fairly light.

We are very fortunate to live close to some great wine estates and can buy very good reds for under $10 and our current sauvignon blanc for $4.

Maybe I can buy a case of wine in FL before boarding.

Having never been on a cruise - but always promised ourselves to do so one day - my wife and I have planned a 5 week holiday over Christmas & New Year that will end with a Caribbean cruise.

I found cruise critic, and have been following the reviews and boards - and asking the odd question or two. We made the decision on HAL, and have now booked on Eurodam on January 15th next year for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise.

Thanks to all the guys who contribute and give tips - I have now got a good feel of some of the things to do and places to eat, but want to balance it with not overplanning and leaving some spontineity.

Booked the balcony cabin, will make reservations in advance for Tamarind & Pinnacle Grill and order a wine card (or two)!

Wow, I wouldn't add any more to your already good choices. I am glad you chose HAL after looking at all the other choices. We ended up with HAL too after some searching around and it feels like a really good fit for us. Low key, good itineraries, good value and wonderful cabins. Balconies are worth the extra costs when it will be going to sunny places.

You may want to also add a few shore excursions too. They seem pricey but you may find them the best way to see places in the Caribbean. Some of them are pretty spectacular -- not sure what your itinerary is but if you get to Dominica think about the river tubing excursion - it was so much fun for all sorts of ages and abilities and went through beautiful jungle scenery.

And take a look at the wine card if you want wine with dinner and not want to go for a whole bottle- we found this was the most cost effective way to enjoy a single glass or so - and they include a sparkling white wine as well as still reds and whites ( kind of generics, but often good enough for about $4 a glass).

Archived