How would you rate the crab cakes and colossal shrimp cocktail at Cagney's?

oliverweagle

The shrimp cocktail gets a 10 rating from me. I wasn't crazy about the crab cakes, but I do have to say that in general I like crab.. but just crab.. not mixed in dishes. Like I love crab cocktail or crab legs, but just not super fond of crab cakes.

What a cute picture of Uncle Paulie.. I sure hope we get to meet up with you guys again on a cruise some day.

My preference too, Terry! We've enjoyed Cagney's crab legs also (although the last time they had some type of seasoning all over them which made it really messy to eat).

I passed your compliment along to Uncle Paulie. ;) We'd enjoy seeing you two again on a future cruise as well!

I don't know if it's because I work at a seafood restaurant and am used to crab cakes with VERY little filler' date=' but I did not enjoy the crab cakes. They were all filling with i think back fin crab. Good, but not jumbo lump. And I loved 95% of the food on the ship.[/quote']

that is my feeling as well. I love good crab cakes, but generally you will only get them in 4 and 5 star restaurants and then pretty much on the coast..

Nita

shrimp are colossal but they drench them in some type of oil, not my choice. I like the shrimp nice and dry. never tried the crab cakes.

I have never had any oil on my shrimp cocktail. :confused: The picture in this thread shows them to be relatively dry (without oil).

PE

We've never been let down with the crabcakes. Guess I'm a little different than most about the shrimp cocktail. Although it's always been beautiful, from time to time I've thought they were somewhat tasteless. Normally, they've been fine, but sometimes-just sort of bland

We've never been let down with the crabcakes. Guess I'm a little different than most about the shrimp cocktail. Although it's always been beautiful, from time to time I've thought they were somewhat tasteless. Normally, they've been fine, but sometimes-just sort of bland

Shrimp is boring!! It is just a carrier for the cocktail sauce. :D

PE

Shrimp is boring!! It is just a carrier for the cocktail sauce. :D

PE

It's like Escargot, what is so special? the lemon garlic butter..

shrimp if really fresh can be tasty, normally it isn't all that great, love good sause..now to contradict myself, the little shrimp can be just as good as the big guys, people just think bigger is better. For those who do think bigger is better I must be really goooood...LOl

Nita

ROTFL-when the shrimp are good (even those little ones) hold the sauce!

The little ones are the only ones with any flavor on their own. Small (41+ count) are the best favor and best suited for salads. Larger Medium (26 - 40 count) and smaller Large (16 - 25 count) are the best for Shrimp Cocktail. When you get to Jumbo (8 - 15 count) these are better suited for butterflying and batter fried preferably tempura.

PE

I always get them, but sometimes they are a little bland or a little bit mushy or wet... someone mentioned oily. I've never noticed oil, but mushy/soggy BUT way better than what we get in MN so I still order them everytime.

On our last cruise I noticed the shrimp were marinated in something--the shrimp cocktails were the best I have had on any cruise at Cagney's--this was the Spirit--one day at lunch at Cagney's they brought some that were not marinated--I noticed right away and sent them back--they brought another that was just right. I asked the chef and he said they were always suppose to be marinated--I will check again on our next cruise. Previously on some other other ships I thought the shrimp in Cagney's were over cooked and tasteless ( specifically the Pearl and Star).

The crab cakes IMOP are basic--nothing special-- fresh dungeness crap make the best crab cakes--not the canned crab like they use on board ship.

Big Green

I think the jumbo shrimp is good enough and agree the sauce is what makes the difference. I dislike crab very much...or so I thought. I love eggs benedict and got gaggy at the thought of combining both. I ordering them just to taste them because everyone raved about the crab cake/eggs benedict combo on cruisecritic. Surprisingly, I liked the combo very much and understood why everyone else did too.

coka

that is my feeling as well. I love good crab cakes, but generally you will only get them in 4 and 5 star restaurants and then pretty much on the coast..

Nita

Or G & M restaurant in Baltimore...THOSE are THE best crab cakes in the world! Anyone else have them? But, NCL has some pretty nice shrimp cocktail at Cagneys...I remember when I had them for the first time and commented on how huge they were.

Now I want a G & M crab cake...a 'hole in the wall' with THE best food! Now THAT's a crab cake! :)

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/06/c6/89/picture-of-a-crabcake.jpg

Just left the Star. We were on the 7 day Mexican Cruise. Went to Cagney's and was impressed with the shrimp. They were huge. Could of been chilled a little longer but very good. I would skip the 16 oz. T-Bone and get the 10 oz. Fillet. Very good experience and would do it again.

On our last cruise I noticed the shrimp were marinated in something--the shrimp cocktails were the best I have had on any cruise at Cagney's--this was the Spirit--one day at lunch at Cagney's they brought some that were not marinated--I noticed right away and sent them back--they brought another that was just right. I asked the chef and he said they were always suppose to be marinated--I will check again on our next cruise. Previously on some other other ships I thought the shrimp in Cagney's were over cooked and tasteless ( specifically the Pearl and Star).

The crab cakes IMOP are basic--nothing special-- fresh dungeness crap make the best crab cakes--not the canned crab like they use on board ship.

Big Green

Could not agree more!:D (though I think you meant "crab" and not "crap");) I'm working on perfecting my personal fresh dungeness crab cake recipe (as it's locally available in season). Still...We enjoyed the crab cakes at Cagney's on the then Pride of Hawaii. They couldn't hold a candle to the best we've had on land, but they were very well prepared (not oily/greasy, not mushy, and not so much filling as to make them unpalateble to us). Honestly though, they were best in the crab cakes benedict at Cagney's suites breakfast. I think partly because they were part of a whole and not the only taste/texture on the plate. I will say, that they made pretty much the best benedict we've had in a long while.

We enjoyed the jumbo shrimp cocktail, but are extremely picky about those as well. We're very partial to fresh Atlantic white shrimp perfectly prepared and have not found any shrimp cocktail onboard any ship (regardless of line) to equal them. We'd give the Cagney's shrimp cocktail a "good," but not "great."

beachchick

Or G & M restaurant in Baltimore...THOSE are THE best crab cakes in the world! Anyone else have them? But, NCL has some pretty nice shrimp cocktail at Cagneys...I remember when I had them for the first time and commented on how huge they were.

Now I want a G & M crab cake...a 'hole in the wall' with THE best food! Now THAT's a crab cake! :)

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/06/c6/89/picture-of-a-crabcake.jpg

I'm from Maryland Rick and live a stone's throw away from G & M and I am just wondering if you have had any another other crabcakes while here in town? As a Marylander, they are not the best I have ever had. The last ones I had there had fish (cod) as a filler. It's a *crabcake*, not a *fishcake*. Since that happened, we haven't been back. We go to either the Sunset Restaurant in Glen Burnie for ours or to a place called Gianni's, just a little further from G & M on the beltway in Arbutus. There are a few places or the other side of town that rock as well where crabcakes are concerned....but Sunset would DEFINITELY have my vote for a true Maryland crabcake. They don't make their crabcakes with a meringue binder, they are spiced nice and you can have them either the healthful way of broiled, or the true Maryland method of fried. They are wonderful either way, even though we usually go with the broiled because of watching our waistlines.

G & M recently updated their *Hole in the Wall* exterior....apparently they are competing with *The Olive Grove* up the street who also sells crabcakes much like G & M. G & M has a reputation and I think much of it is because of their proximity to the airport hotels. We go there for a cheesesteak which is one of the best I have had outside of Philadelphia. G & M has grown though because of this rep they have gained because when they opened, they had 6 tables in the carry out side and that was it. It truly WAS a hole in the wall back then...LOL!

And to answer the question...as a Marylander, I have a different expectation with the crabcakes on NCL. They don't really work for me....hubby however always gets them with his eggs benedict because he likes the dish. The shrimp cocktail however is to die for! I have found very few restaurants locally that have as nice of one......shrimp are never as large!

Archived