Question about the US Air "buy up to Chairman's Preferred" program

greatam

Am I reading this right?

Be a US Dividend Miles member and for $3,999 you automatically get Chairman's Preferred until 2/2011. Included are the 4 E VIPS (or whatever they are called), free first class upgrades for most US/Central America/Caribbean/Alaska/Canada flights, $300 guaranteed upgrades to business class on other European flights.

That is a pretty cheap way to get 2 business class tickets from the USA to Europe or the Middle East. Plus all the other benefits.

I think there is a mileage redemption component in addition to the $300 co-pay. But I could be wrong. The US website isn't the best for making it clear just what the rules are, as they blend domestic and international rules without clearly defining what is what, IMO.

FT for an answer??

I spent 2 hours on FT trying to find the answer. Evidently, the $300.00 buy up program requires no mileage, just upgrade day of flight depending on availability. Sometimes offered during OLCI, sometimes only at the airport.

Mileage upgrades require certain types of fares (expensive) other than Chairman's Preferred. And mileage upgrades have a co-pay.

I only ask this because we are starting a sales contest May 1. For every dispatcher/sales person that books $100,000 of freight per month through September 2010, the prize is a repo cruise from Europe to someplace. I am guessing that about 4 will meet the goal. So need to fly 8 people from the USA to Europe (or maybe they will choose someplace else). Thought this might be a good way to get them all business class seats without this sales contest costing me more than the revenue it hopefully generates.

IF I understand the information correctly, this would be a dynamite way for a group of 4 to be able to fly business class at least one way to/from Europe or the Middle East (the return would be on a space available basis + $300pp).

By my calculations (please correct me if I am wrong)-average fall price for a RT PHL/FCO ticket-about $800. $4000 Chairman's Preferred fee divided by 4=$1000.00. So One way business class for 4 adults-$1800pp. IF there is availability on the return, another $300 upgrade fee. So roughly $22-2400 for a RT business class ticket to Rome from the USA. Regular price is about $6000.00pp. Anyone see flaws in this plan???

Archived