Do we have to take all of our luggage?

JHUNTGOLF

We booked Princess' NB4 land tour/cruise. We do 4 nights on land (Seattle, Fairbanks, and two nights in Denali) beginning August 12 and then the 7 day southbound Island Princess cruise beginning on August 16. Will we have to take all of our "cruise" luggage on the 4 night land portion of the tour or will we be able to check this "cruise" luggage with Princess at the outset of our land tour? Otherwise we will be constantly moving "cruise" luggage from the Seattle hotel to the Fairbanks plane to the Fairbanks hotel to the Fairbanks motor coach to the Denali hotel and then finally to the Denali/Whittier train? Thanks.

John

When you arrive you should receive an envelope with all your itenararies tags for the trip. If I remember correctly, all our luggage went with us to Fairbanks for the 1st night (where our cruisetour started) and then by a certain time that evening, we had to have our "meet me on the ship" tags on the bags that were only going on the cruise/out in the hall to be picked up. Each morning before you move to the next location, you'll have another land tour destination tag to put on your bags and have out by a certain time & they'll be picked up/taken to your room at the next destination.

If you're taking more than 1 bag, definitely pack a land tour bag and a cruise bag. My husband and I took 3 bags--2 carry-ons that stayed with us and 1 garment bag that went to the ship. FWIW--other than my dress shoes and 2 formal dresses that went into the garment bag, I packed everything in a carry-on for the 12 days. Honestly, I could've easily packed all my stuff in the carry-on but DH doesn't travel so lightly. I didn't see the need to drag all my dress up clothes along ;).

I believe you need to separate your bags indicating which bags contain clothing and other items you won't need until you are on the ship, and which bags have only what you will need for the land portion. When your arrive in Alaska (assuming you are doing the land tour first) the cruiseline will take charge of those bags going to the ship and you probably won't see them again until you are in your stateroom. It may be possible that you can get access to them during the land tour if it is essential that you do so, but that may vary depending on which line you are traveling with and their particular procedure for handling the luggage. Check with them for specifics or check out your documents when they arrive. Detailed instructions on how to pack and mark your luggage should be provided by the line.:)

Sparky, Connie, and Bill,

Thanks for the quick replies back. Today, I found more detailed luggage info on Princess' web site and I've been communicating with one of the roll call members for our cruise who talked to Princess today. We found that the info you supplied confirms what she was told by Princess. Thanks again for the help.

John

Archived