Falmouth, Jamaica

jatdowning

I usually search all over the internet on things to do in ports. However, I have not found anything for Falmouth, Jamaica other than a hotel. With huge mega ships docking in this port, I would expect to see more things to do.

Ports are very important to us (and the ship, of course). Anyone have anything to add? Have you found things to do in this port? I know I have a long way to go but some of you don't.

I'm not really talking about when the ships will arrive...my main question is, "what activities will be available in this port"? So far, I see nothing.

I read they are trying to make it like a Colonial Williamsburg, VA style. I read that RCL is working with the Jamaican govern't to make it more suitable for cruise travelers. But as of now, there are no tours/activities, and etc that I can find.

I'm not really talking about when the ships will arrive...my main question is, "what activities will be available in this port"? So far, I see nothing.

I read they are trying to make it like a Colonial Williamsburg, VA style. I read that RCL is working with the Jamaican govern't to make it more suitable for cruise travelers. But as of now, there are no tours/activities, and etc that I can find.

Since Falmouth will be a brand new stop, and the first ships are not due to arrive until almost a year from now, the contracts for the excursions have not yet been entered into. You probably will not see any excursions for that port listed until 6 months out.

The new port area they are building looks nice, though. Hopefully, we will be able to walk around and enjoy the area hassle free.

I just found this on the internet:

http://www.jamaicascene.com/attractions/falmouth/index.php

nanfromatlanta,

It would be nice to have a port that is catered to cruises so we can have a port that is, like you said, "hassle free".

I will check out the link that Grumpus suggested. Sounds interesting. Hopefully this post can help out other travelers as well!

I've been there. There's not a lot to do. I have photos of the area that were taken maybe a year and a half ago and I will post them when I return home tonight.

Hey Chris:)

I don't know of anything that has even begun yet as far as Falmouth. Royal has already updated all western itineraries on Oasis/Allure thru Feb 2011 to visit Costa Maya instead. I am sailing Allure March 2011 and fully expect that we will also port in Costa Maya even though they have Falmouth still listed.

We sail NOS Jan 2011 and see that the stop in Ocho Rios has also changed to Falmouth. If you search excursions for Falmouth, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay on the RCCL website, alot of the same excursions are listed.

I just did a search and low and behold look what I came by.....looks like things have begun in Falmouth ....HOWEVER, doesn't look like they are going smoothly.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/26161/26/

Falmouth Pier employees down tools in protest

Monday, 29 March 2010

Work came to a halt yet again at the Falmouth Pier in Trelawny on Monday afternoon as irate workers demonstrated outside the facility over a number of issues.

At the top of the list of grouses is the alleged disparity in payments to workers.

The workers from Trelawny claim that they are being paid far less than persons from outside the parish.

Member of Parliament Patrick Harris outlined the myriad issues being faced by the workers.

"Salaries and a new contractor that is supposed to come in that needs to bring in some specialized people without any type of dialogue. The workers were just upset and needed an explanation. There is also the other problem of salary that they wanted addressed as well," Mr. Harris said.

Another major issue is the new phase of construction of shops at the facility.

Jamaica Labour Party caretaker Dennis Meadows claims the contractor for that phase has employed hundreds of workers, all from outside Falmouth.

He is calling for the workers to become unionized.

He says the project means a whole lot to the parish and delays must be avoided, but the workers must be dealt with fairly.

"I believe they are being exploited, the evidence is there. We need union representation urgently, that is needed. When you hear the litany of concerns, they have some serious concerns that must be addressed immediately. This project means too much to this parish, this project means to much to Jamaican for any interruption," Mr. Meadows said.

In the meantime the project liaison officers have reportedly arranged a meeting with the workers for this afternoon to address their grouses.

I would be totally okay if RCL switched us to Ocho or Costa Maya.

I was on the Radiance at the end of 2003 and they had us going to Roatan, Honduras. The port was ill-prepared for cruise ships. It was a beautiful island but it was so hard seeing women washing clothes in a dirty river. I can handle an occasional bout of poverty but to see mostly everyone poverty-stricken was hard to handle. I was hoping this particular port wasn't another Roatan stop. If so, we'll just stick to the beach.

• 1 year later...

Just got off the Allure today and there is still a lot of construction at the port in Falmouth. Looks like it will be nice when completed.

We took the free shuttle bus to the Rose Hall shops. Don't need more than an hour there. It was ok, but nothing overly special.

Got back on the ship early here.

We were on the Oasis in June and went to Falmouth, Jamaica. We took the local trolley for a tour around town. There was a $10 charge per person. It gave us a good overview of the city and it made me want to know more of the history of Jamaica.I have no reservations recommending the trolley tour. We enjoyed getting to see a bit of the city.

There was construction going on in buildings located right at the dock. Those selling items were a bit away so you aren't hit in the face with everything right when you get off. There was a couple on stilts wearing fun costumes, and they were working with passengers to take pictures. Also in the center of the buildings at the pier, there was a group playing music and dancers. Looks like they are trying to make Falmouth be a great experience for all passengers. We did eat some jerk chicken from a vendor located within the square. It was tasty.

Not a ton of activities to do directly in Falmouth. We enjoyed our time in port and didn't feel the need to take a 45 minute drive to Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. We're pretty laid back, so all was good because we were on a cruise! ;)

I usually search all over the internet on things to do in ports. However, I have not found anything for Falmouth, Jamaica other than a hotel. With huge mega ships docking in this port, I would expect to see more things to do.

Ports are very important to us (and the ship, of course). Anyone have anything to add? Have you found things to do in this port? I know I have a long way to go but some of you don't.

There are some excellent excursions through RCCL or less expensively through tour operators. Montego Bay is not far and that has great beaches. We are going there for the day for just $20 per person.

We are going on FOS in April 2012 and at Falmouth we're doing an independent excursion to Dunn River Falls and a tubing experience down a river plus a stop on the way back to the ship for shopping...we think that's the best way to experience Jamaica!

Archived