Formal night on Disney Cruises?

toescat

Well since someone else asked about this, I'm curious as to what to wear during the formal night? I told my husband he might have to wear a suit and he scoffed and said no way. Can men do a nice dress shirt and dress pants?

On other cruise lines we have found that men who do not want to wear a suit jacket or tux have been denied access to the dinning room. That happened to us last year my husband for the very first time did not want to wear a tux so he had on dress slacks and a nice Tommy Bahama shirt and we were told we had to go to the buffet that the dinning rooms were formal only. I told my husband to bring at least a suit jacket and wear it into the dinning room then he could take it off, but he said no way. That was a learning experience so this time we will bring his tux jacket and a tie and he will be just fine. I will pack it in my suitcase so he will never know. MEN!

Princess Sapphire. I was bummed because it was lobster night and you could not get lobster in the Buffet. We ended up at the steakhouse and had to pay 10 dollars to get a steak that was no better than the dinning room. The matre D did tell him he could go rent a suit jacket but my husband did not want to pay 30 dollars to wear a suit jacket. I thought we would be ok because we seen less dressed people on formal nights on previous cruises but I guess we never paid attention to who went into the dinning room.

Saskmom, if you have a black dress, you can dress it up with faux pearls or nice necklace you will be just fine. I have seen sequined full leather dresses to dresses that I would wear to work and also as long as you husband wears a jacket and tie he would be fine.

I agree, the dress was not quite as formal as when we went on RCL 7 years ago. Women had everything from sundresses to gowns on and it was pretty evenly distributed. I wore a short black dress with a funky looking necklace and did not feel out of place at all. Didn't notice the men as much since my husband and my friend's husband both had on suits.

Well since someone else asked about this, I'm curious as to what to wear during the formal night? I told my husband he might have to wear a suit and he scoffed and said no way. Can men do a nice dress shirt and dress pants?

As long as your husband abides by the normal dress code he will be fine. He may feel under dressed unless it wouldn't bother him. Formal night most people get pretty dressed, semi-formal night is much more relaxed.

On other cruise lines we have found that men who do not want to wear a suit jacket or tux have been denied access to the dinning room. That happened to us last year my husband for the very first time did not want to wear a tux so he had on dress slacks and a nice Tommy Bahama shirt and we were told we had to go to the buffet that the dinning rooms were formal only. I told my husband to bring at least a suit jacket and wear it into the dinning room then he could take it off, but he said no way. That was a learning experience so this time we will bring his tux jacket and a tie and he will be just fine. I will pack it in my suitcase so he will never know. MEN!

Wow...this response speaks volumes as to why this is a valid question. Each cruise line is different! I've never been on Princess, but on my two Carnival cruises, I've never seen people denied entry on formal night...and there were certainly many without ties, and I would say most men did not have jackets. In fact, based on that experience, for my most recent cruise, for the first time, I didn't bring a jacket or tie! Now, I made this decision based on the fact that Royal Caribbean is similar to Carnival on the more casual end, and also since it was a short 4-day cruise.

Now, I made this decision based on the fact that Royal Caribbean is similar to Carnival on the more casual end, and also since it was a short 4-day cruise.

I have found a big difference between the short cruises and the long cruises . People are definitely more dressed up on the 7 day cruises. I think it is a different type of holiday.

I have done a couple of Disney's but they were both short and the problem is that you have the dining rotation. My first time, the 'scheduled' formal night was the last and we were in the informal dining room. We were travelling with a large group and they said "forget about dressing up".

I love to dress up but I say do whatever you feel like!

We were bummed, especially since the Buffet did not have lobster nor did the steakhouse. Formal night is also very different on Princess than Carnival at least all the Carnival cruises we went on. On Carnival formal nights everyone meets in the show romm where the band is playing and all the staff is serving free cocktails and h'orderves and before we leave for dinner all the officers are introduced. On Princess our first three cruises we all just met in lobby and nothing was said we just gathered there until dinner, my husbank and I even asked and they know just hang by shops, there was a piano player by the pursers desk. On our last cruise we all met in the same place but they did pass around champange. Since we are going our grandchildren will be on board on the next cruise we are dressing up. I already told my husband I will rent him a tux on board if he does not want to bring his. With hitting him with his wallet, he will be bringing his tux. :)

Archived