Discover Scuba

Darthdaddy

Ever daydreamed about scuba diving? I know I did. In preparation for our March E. Caribbean cruise I checked into the process to become a certified diver. Basically, there is some course work, some shallow water/pool time to learn basic skills and then 2 open water dives under the guidance of a divemaster.

Living in a cold climate it is not possible to do the open water dives during the winter. Often, people get a "referral" from their hometown dive shop to a shop in the Virgin Islands in order to do the open water dives and complete the process. This is difficult for someone on a cruise, because each post of call lasts just a few hours.

I had just about given up the idea, when I found UBS Dive Center on Tortola. Divemasters Tony & Dawn were friendly and helpful in putting the plan together. My family and I disembarked from the NCL Pearl in Road Town. Tony arranged for a taxi to pick us up and take us directly to the dive shop. We had our classroom session and then took Tony's boat over to Cooper Island for our shallow water skills session. In short order we learned how to clear our regulators and masks, equalize pressure in our ears, and use our buoyancy compensators.

Next we were off to an isolated lagoon with 40' of crystal clear water. The underwater plant & animal life was spectacular. With Tony keeping a close eye on us we were able to swim freely and have a wonderful time.

I recommend this activity and look forward to diving with Tony again someday.

Archived