Lisbon

CRITCHK

Does any one know which port Ventura will dock in May N012?

Also where is the nearest place to buy a Carris 1 day transport card and do children age 3 and 4 have to buy a ticket?

We want to ride the 28 tram, visit the castle, ride the elevadors and go up the Christ statue. Is this a realist plan?

Was thinking Christ statue either first or last then walking over the bridge.

What do you think?

Docking: both when we were there in October 2008 on Ventura, and again according to both Ventura's webcam and the AIS radar, Ventura docked at the deep-water anchorages immediately upriver of the big bridge. From there P&O will run a shuttle into the city.

The Bridge: I'm not sure about walking across the bridge. When we were there I couldn't help thinking that it was very noisy. Close up (i.e. walking over it) it might be extremely noisy. Any comments from those who have done this?

Does any one know which port Ventura will dock in May N012?

Also where is the nearest place to buy a Carris 1 day transport card and do children age 3 and 4 have to buy a ticket?

We want to ride the 28 tram, visit the castle, ride the elevadors and go up the Christ statue. Is this a realist plan?

Was thinking Christ statue either first or last then walking over the bridge.

What do you think?

I think you are squeezing in quite a lot - There is a free shuttle from the ship to the square where the trams are. We bought tickets there and took the 2 hour tour. The we walked through Lisbon and saw the Elevator.

The sail-in is wonderful under the bridge, it seems that the ship is only just going to make it, and the roar of the cars overhear is spooky at 6.30am !

p5220034.jpg

p5220171.jpg

p5220010.jpg

The ship will probably be moored up river from the bridge. There is a very pleasant walk along the shore with lots of riverside cafes and bars offering excellent snacks. We took a bus tour from the centre of town and on the last leg of the tour, the bus stopped virtually outside of the ship. We stayed on the bus, however, and got off about a mile or so down river and walked back to the ship. As libralass has said, I think you may be trying too much for one day.

try and find out where the shuttle drops you. It used to be Black Horse square, but when we were there last year, the square was having major works and we went further away from the river - Placa Da Figuera ( I think)

We were on Arcadia in December and berthed just upstream from the bridge at Alcantara.

The shuttle bus drop off point was at Praco des Restauradores, outside the tourist office and near Rossio station. (The tourist office was packed)

We walked down to Praca da Figueira and bought one day Carris card in a shop which has entrances in both Praca da Figueira and Praca Dom Pedro IV (Rossio). (Sorry, don't know how else to explain it, but sure that you will see it once there!)

We went on Tram 28 to the castle and then took the metro to Parque das Nacoes. Then metro back to Sao Sebastiao station for El Corte Ingles department store. Then Metro down to Cais do Sodre and bus to Belem. Then walked back along the river to the ship. The Carris card was valid on buses, metro, and tram and was around 4 Euros each for the one day adult card. ( don't know about child tickets)

This was a full day and I think you would be pushed to go across to the statue.

Any other questions, please ask!

Terry

The first time we went to Lisbon was for a 4 day holiday so we took a bus to go and see the Christ statue.

It really is a lot more impressive to look at from afar!

So many nicer things to see and do in Lisbon.

Caryl

We were in Lisbon a couple of weeks ago on board Ventura and the ship parked up virtually right underneath the bridge , can`t help you with the other questions as we only went into town on the free shuttle bus that P&O put on for you .

As per my previous response, Ventura will berth at Alcantara (as did Arcadia).

The shuttle bus usually goes to Praca do Comercio where there is a Tourist Office and a Post Office where you can buy Carris tickets.

However, our shuttle (in December) ran to Rossio station because Praca do Comercio was closed to traffic due to extensive remodelling.

So you might end up at either, depending on whether the work is finished!!

Terry

The first time we went to Lisbon was for a 4 day holiday so we took a bus to go and see the Christ statue.

It really is a lot more impressive to look at from afar!

So many nicer things to see and do in Lisbon.

Caryl

Caryl is absolutely right - the statue looks much better from the other side of the river. We took a bus over the bridge to see it about four years ago. There was some sort of a service going on in the little chapel at the base of the statue and tourists definitely were'nt welcome. From up close its pretty tatty, as was the grotty cafe in the car park outside. On the day we went it was tipping it down with rain and the cloud was so low that you could'nt see the top!

Mick

Archived