Another Mercury question - Vibration

RickyandLucy

There is constant vibration in aft cabins on Mercury during my 2 cruises on her. On one cruise our dinner table was just to the left of the captains table at the rear of the dining room. The vibration made for some interesting eating and jokes. It never really interfered with the cruise though.

As I said earlier, our dining room table was the big round table just to the left of the Captains table in the rear of the MDR. Some nights we watched the spoons on the table bounce around. And that was in calm waters.

Thanks for your replies. We are getting ready to book very forward cabins. I'm very excited. This will be our first cruise on Celebrity. Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Do you know if there are outlets next to the bed (CPAP machine) or should I bring an extension cord?

Lucy

Thanks for your replies. We are getting ready to book very forward cabins. I'm very excited. This will be our first cruise on Celebrity. Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Do you know if there are outlets next to the bed (CPAP machine) or should I bring an extension cord?

Lucy

I realize a lot are reporting vibrations and so on, but do realize that the Stern cabins (SV's) usually sale out sooner than all the other cabin classes and you can't get any more 'aft' then those. They are very popular and most of us enjoy them a great deal - great view and larger balconies. I felt that 'vibration' in the MDR many times as everyone has, but not that much in our SR. So, yes, get another SR, but be aware, the stern ones are snapped up quickly - our cruise in Nov 10 (Thanksgiving) has no SV class SRs avail and all other categories have many still avail. So it seems many people don't think the vibration is of any real concern.

Denny

I just returned this week from a Mercury sailing. Our MDR table was on deck 5 towards aft. On two nights there were very strong vibrations and noise as we departed ports, especially if the seas were a little rough.

Originally we were booked inside on deck 4 all the way aft. Now I am glad we got an upgrade to deck 9 midship. No vibrations there. We've already booked our next cruise's cabin on deck 10 midship.

One thing to be aware of is the type of seas you'll be experiencing when you expect to cruise. If you're very forward, you'll experience more motion.

Also something to consider is how often you'll eat. The MDR elevator to deck 5 is only available with the aft elevator ©. The Pavilion lounge is all the way aft. The café on deck 11 is between midship elevator (B) and ©. The only time you'll prefer the forward elevator (A) is for the navigator lounge, theater and port calls.

We found the midship cabin convenient to everything with no noise and limited motion.

Just my opinion.

Lucy

:) There is really only one outlet you will be able to reach, that's around the desk. So yes bring an extension cord. We do on most sailings except when we book suite.

Lucy

We've never had a problem getting extension cords from our room stewards; we feel comfortable not packing one.

We had a sunset verandah on deck 8 in September for an Alaska cruise. There was a lot of shaking and loud noise from the thrusters and rudders in the back. The vibration was a deal breaker for my DH, but it didn't bother me as much as it did him. It seems that follows with what others are saying - some are bothered and some not so much.

The verandah is not covered and it rained most of our cruise. We were unable to use the verandah much, but there are covered public decks at both corners of the aft where we could go enjoy seeing things from outside. Those covered deck areas are not used very much, and many times we were the only ones on the one next to our cabin.

What I really did not like about the SV cabin was that the bed is bound on three sides; so if two people sleep in it, the one inside must climb around the one on the outside to get out of bed. The sofa does make out into a serviceable bed as well, though.

Also, from the stern cabins, you can see Mercury's long smoke plume - she is a real smoker - not so beautiful.

I would sail Mercury again in a heartbeat, but not in a sunset verandah. Her sky suites on deck 12 are fantastic, though! We had 1203 once and the balcony was enormous and about half covered.

Hope you enjoy your cruise on Mercury. From what I am reading on these boards, we may not have her much longer. She is a real jewel. We especially love her t-pool! Not to be missed as it is the only one like it in Celebrity's fleet.

Doris

Thank you everyone for your replies. They are so helpful. We have booked for Jan 2011 on the Penthouse deck fwd. We are very excited. Still on the fence on packing an extension cord or not. Would love to see some pictures if you'all have any to share. What is a T-Pool?

Lucy

Hi Ricky and Lucy! I think you will be happy with your cabin selection.

A t-pool is a thalassotherapy pool. It is a giant hot tub filled with hot salt water. You can walk around to different stations where jets will target your neck, your back, your legs, etc., and at one end is an enormous lounger where a number of people (maybe 6) can lounge while the jets massage you all over. It is wonderful. We never found it to be crowded, which is a surprise to me. It is no extra charge for suite passengers, but there is a fee for others. It is well worth the price IMO. One caution is that the combination of salt water and chemicals will affect the color of some swimsuit fabrics. You might want to take an older suit for this just in case.

Enjoy your cruise on Mercury!

Doris

Sorry I don't remember the cost. There is a daily fee and also a fee for the entire cruise. Maybe someone else will post that information for you.:confused: It wold be a good idea for you to ask to see the pool before you commit and maybe ask someone using it what they think of it.

There are steps with handrails going into the pool from either side. I do not remember a lift, but perhaps someone could help you get Mom into and out of the pool. There are steps down from the center (where you enter) into the other two sections of the pool, and some of the jets are very forceful; so it would be a good idea for you to check it out yourself before paying for Mom and taking her in.

Hope you and Mom are able to enjoy it!

Doris

Archived