MonkeyHeads

MrsZee

A guy my husband works with claims to have given Carnival the inspiration for the Monkeyhead cups. He was on a Carnival cruise a while ago (at least ten years or so) and he was carrying a koozie for his drink that he had gotten at some store or from some event he went to and it was shaped like a coconut with a face. He says a bar waiter saw it and liked it and asked to see it. And apparently there was a manufacturer name on the bottom. The bar waiter told him they get perks if they come up with good ideas that Carnival actually uses (that I can believe, actually). And somehow the idea transformed into the current Monkeyheads they use today.

What do you think? Have you heard differently?

Kindof hard to believe, but I guess it's possible. I always regreted not getting one while on board. (first time they ran out before I got one and second cruise they never did offer them) They would make a dandy pencil holder on my desk!!

They hold wine corks from all our cruises, we have 2 so far!!!

:D

I bet he's the same guy that stowed away on the Ecstasy...

LOL, probably. My husband thought it was really cool though, like he knew some sort of celebrity. No WAY am I bursting that bubble.

Aww! How do you get one of those?

One day of your cruise, you will go to the Lido deck and they will be EVERYWHERE. On my last one it was the last sea day. And it costs like 16 bucks and has a cup in the middle for the drink so you can get refills.

I did a search of the forums for Monkeyheads and saw someone say that she uses their to hold citronella candles by their pool! I wasn't planning to get anymore, but I REALLY like that idea! We don't have a pool, but we do go camping a lot and I think that would be neat.

we bought one and had them put a coke in it

since we didn't want the drink that came with it....

we brought it back for the boss as a gift and now it sits in

his window at work.. so everytime I go into his office I think

of the crusie...

and yes, the top comes off of it and there was a plastic cup inside

that held the drink

4028635690_c19e198030.jpg

My mom still has two of these (but they are painted) that we purchased in the Bahamas straw market in nassau for my 16th birthday....I am 37:eek: now....so the idea was not new 10 years ago. Not sure how long carnival has been using them...I have never seen one on any other cruise I took. I hope to buy one of these on my destiny cruise next month.

I do too! Depends on how much they cost though. If they're $50/ea the cuteness kind of fades. :D

On our last Sensation cruise they were up to $17.00 each from $14.00.

We have a couple on our pool deck. they are kinda cute!

We bought some on the Inspiration in 2006 (it was the first time I had seen them), my kids had virgin strawberry daiquiris in them and they were about $16 each (including the gratuity). In this pic you can see the little white plastic cup that sits on the inside. And there is a slot at the top, my kids use them as banks.

184328378_0079f.jpg.59c512f5eb3b6a54bc45a8ecb3d338d5.jpg

OK so first Cruise we came across them was on the Conquest in 2005. I refused to buy one as to me they "looked evil" DH was so dissapointed....flash forward we're sitting on the Promanade waiting to get off the folks at the next table had their tag called they jumped up and walked off...leaving a Monkey Head. We grabbed it saying if they come back looking for it we'll return it....they never came back. So he got his Monkey head. YES we would have given it to them if they returned and NO I don't think it was you so don't say it was..........:p

They sell these at Disney World's Ohana Restaurant located in The Polynesian Resort. I bought a drink there years ago while at their dinner show. I saved the monkeyhead. Cute but I remember being disappointed at the time because I thought the drink was quite small in the hollow of the head. Disney did not give refills:eek:. I think it was $11-$14. Don't think I would have paid more. Sits on top of my spare TV.

I am looking at my husbands dresser.... and there is the Monkey Head! I want to say he bought this at least five years ago. Yes, he uses it as a bank... all the loose change in there, that we cash right before each cruise!

Catrin

Archived