question about oceanview room

kateydid14

Hi. DH and I just got back from our 1st ever cruise on the Spirit in March. We loved it and are planning on cruising again. On the Spirit, we had a balcony room, which was great. We are now thinking of taking a cruise to Canada in the fall and think it will be too chilly to sit on the balcony. But we still want fresh air in the cabin.

Do the oceanview (non-balcony) rooms on NCL ships have windows that open? What about other cruise lines' ships?

Thanks!

Katey

Hi. DH and I just got back from our 1st ever cruise on the Spirit in March. We loved it and are planning on cruising again. On the Spirit, we had a balcony room, which was great. We are now thinking of taking a cruise to Canada in the fall and think it will be too chilly to sit on the balcony. But we still want fresh air in the cabin.

Do the oceanview (non-balcony) rooms on NCL ships have windows that open? What about other cruise lines' ships?

Thanks!

Katey

No and I'm sure it's for safety reason ie large waves.

Thanks!

Katey

Oceanview windows do not open on any cruise ships, probably because of the possibility of high waves or other water coming in, such as from window washers.

Also, on most cruise ships there is a notice on most balconies asking that those doors not be left open. The reason for that is because it affects the ship's air-conditioning system making some other rooms hot.

We did the Canada/New England cruise in a portal cabin on deck 4 of the Jewel last fall. We were close enough to the waterline that we were looking straight out over the wave tops; occasionally the waves were big enough to splash right up against the portal (at times it was very much like being inside a washing machine). I'm pretty sure that if the portal were able to open the cabin would be flooded within minutes!

In fact there was an extra watertight portal hatch on a hinge that could be swung into place and dogged down, presumably in case a wave smashed the glass. Guess this happens often enough that the ship's designers felt they needed a way to quickly stop the ship from flooding!

We did the Canada/New England cruise in a portal cabin on deck 4 of the Jewel last fall. We were close enough to the waterline that we were looking straight out over the wave tops; occasionally the waves were big enough to splash right up against the portal (at times it was very much like being inside a washing machine). I'm pretty sure that if the portal were able to open the cabin would be flooded within minutes!

In fact there was an extra watertight portal hatch on a hinge that could be swung into place and dogged down, presumably in case a wave smashed the glass. Guess this happens often enough that the ship's designers felt they needed a way to quickly stop the ship from flooding!

When we made a transatlantic crossing one time from Barcelona to FL we were in a porthole cabin and the first night the cabin steward DID have to close the metal hatch over the porthole to protect the window because the waves were smashing against it. We had two nights and days like that.

It was like having an inside cabin but we didn't mind since an inside cabin had been what we'd booked and paid for. The porthole cabin was an upgrade for us. By the 3rd day the metal hatche had been fastened up again and the rest of our 12 day cruise was smooth.

I doubt an oceanview room on any line will have windows that open. Oceanview rooms would be found on lower decks, as the higher decks contain the balconies and suites... for safety reasons, those windows obviously cannot be opened, and leaving a balcony door open for the purpose of "letting fresh air in" is a big no-no. You likely won't spend much time in the room, anyway :)

When we made a transatlantic crossing one time from Barcelona to FL we were in a porthole cabin and the first night the cabin steward DID have to close the metal hatch over the porthole to protect the window because the waves were smashing against it. We had two nights and days like that.

It was like having an inside cabin but we didn't mind since an inside cabin had been what we'd booked and paid for. The porthole cabin was an upgrade for us. By the 3rd day the metal hatche had been fastened up again and the rest of our 12 day cruise was smooth.

We found that inside and outside cabins are very similar, but one thing we did like about the portal is the amount of natural daylight it let in. During the afternoon we didn't even need the cabin lights, there was so much sunlight through the portal.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd pay extra for an ocean view compared to an inside. I'd rather either upgrade to a balcony or use the money for excursions.

Thanks!

Katey

Just get a balcony room. With the door closed, you still have great views and if you want fresh air, ope the door a bit. Seems like a balcony, whether used or not, would offer you the options you seek.

We took a New England/Canada cruise in early Oct. and it was too cold to use the balcony. We did sit by the pool the first day out of NY, but there was less wind than on our balcony. Also, it got dark early, so after a day on shore, there was no light to enjoy the balcony in the evening or early am. We decided that if we did that cruise again, we would get an ocean view only.

Were you able to see any fish or marine life from that level?

Archived