St. John beaches vs Secret Harbor?

jebba555

We will be stopping in St. Thomas at the end of May on Freedom of the Seas. For anyone that has been to beaches on both St. John and St. Thomas, did you find that the time and hassle with taxis, ferry, etc. was worth the trip to St. John (for Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay)?

I've heard Secret Harbor is a lower-stress equivalent option. (Coki sounds too touristy and Magens sounds too crowded.) Do you agree?

A nice beach is a higher priority for us than good snorkeling.

If it helps to gauge our personality at all - when we stopped in Tortola, we did think that the ferry to Virgin Gorda for The Baths was very worth it.

Thanks for the help!!!

Secret Harbour is a nice beach,but cannot compare with the beaches on St John for views, sand and general beacheyness. None of the beaches are very long, as in take a long walk. The only beach that is, is Magens, which is a truely spectacular beach and not too crowded if you go to the end away from the bar/cafe. I say this as someone who lived on St. Thomas for 14 years and then needed first class medical care back stateside. Enjoy whatever you choose:)

B.

I wish you good health! Of the beaches on St. John - do you have a favorite? I thought Cinnamon Bay might be a good alternate to Trunk Bay (which I've read gets very crowded). Are Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay nicer than Magen's Bay? Or are they about the same?

Thank you so much for your help.

Secret Harbour is a nice beach' date='but cannot compare with the beaches on St John for views, sand and general beacheyness. None of the beaches are very long, as in take a long walk. The only beach that is, is Magens, which is a truely spectacular beach and not too crowded if you go to the end away from the bar/cafe. I say this as someone who lived on St. Thomas for 14 years and then needed first class medical care back stateside. Enjoy whatever you choose:)

B.[/quote']

Betsy's Mom,

We are going to be on RCL and stop at St Thomas on a Saturday. We are wondering if we grab a taxi to Ferry to Cruz, have a car reserved and drive through Park taking in Trunk Bay and Cinnamon or Hawks Nest and then drive through some of Park in about 6 hours is possible or way too much. What do you think?

I wish you good health! Of the beaches on St. John - do you have a favorite? I thought Cinnamon Bay might be a good alternate to Trunk Bay (which I've read gets very crowded). Are Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay nicer than Magen's Bay? Or are they about the same?

Thank you so much for your help.

Magen's Bay...been there once

Cinnamon Bay...been there twice

My choice? Cinnamon Bay without hesitation! If you get hungry, there is an outdoor...or partly covered restaurant. Nothing fancy, but more than sufficient. The beach is beautiful and not crowded and the water is just as nice as the sand on the beach. First time that I was at Cinnamon Bay the water had swells maybe 2 feet and was a blast jumping up and down as they passed by. The water is that beautiful light turqoise color...you won't be disappointed if you go.

Rob:)

Betsy's Mom,

We are going to be on RCL and stop at St Thomas on a Saturday. We are wondering if we grab a taxi to Ferry to Cruz, have a car reserved and drive through Park taking in Trunk Bay and Cinnamon or Hawks Nest and then drive through some of Park in about 6 hours is possible or way too much. What do you think?

Mostly depends how long your ship is scheduled to be in St Thomas. Dont forget, you want to be the first passengers off your ship and expect a good 45 minutes-or more each way in driving time. On the return trip, don't forget about heavy rush hour traffic...if can slow down quite a bit the closer u get to the pier.

Rob:)

Thanks so much Rob! This is a big help :-)

I was talking to the family this past weekend and I think we're 95% set on going to Cinnamon Bay. Our only other consideration at this point is Trunk Bay.

Archived