lock a balcony?? worried about kids

bellazoemom

we have adjoining rooms and i dont want to be worried about my kids climbing over the balcony while i am asleep. do they have a way to lock the balcony for the week so they cant open the door??

Lock the balcony:confused: Put them in a inside cabin if there is that much fear......

How young are your children?

If they are young enough that you are worried they will climb over the railing...maybe you should not have them in a balcony room alone. I personally would not get any sleep if I had to be worried about someone going for a midnight swim...

There is also a chair in the stateroom that works great to reach things ! :eek:

Yeah... nothing's fool proof but that interior lock is 65" off the floor and it's fairly tough to move!

I think it would simply be best to not have the young ones alone in the cabin. That's why there's Camp Carnival!!!

:)

We had adjoining balcony rooms on the Splendor with kids ages, 4, 7, and 8. We locked their balcony door from the inside and made it a rule that they can never go on the balcony without an adult and they had to enter the balcony from our room (we had the balcony divider open to make one large balcony). We told them the dangers and it scared them enough to comply. We had the adjoining door always open and they were also told never to go out into the halls without us. Works to tell them the dangers and safety rules. Never used Camp Carnival either. But I am one of "those" parents that make them have manners, tell them not to run, don't yell...etc. I was also happy the balcony rail was pretty high up. It worked great!!

we have adjoining rooms and i dont want to be worried about my kids climbing over the balcony while i am asleep. do they have a way to lock the balcony for the week so they cant open the door??

If you are worried you won't wake up why don't you get one of those hotel alarms that go off if the door opens.

That'll wake you up:D

bellazoemom :)

I know all the fears and nightmares a mother naturally has about a balcony cabin. However, we have had one twice with our son (when he was 15 months old and when he was 5 years old). The doors of both these balconies (and the cabin door for that matter) were very heavy. He could not open them on his own. Both balconies also had solid glass for the railing - higher than him (and he is in the 95th percentile for height). We made the same rule as another poster that he was never allowed alone on the balcony. We had no fears once we were on the ship.

If your children are young, they should be fine. Happy sailing!

We only do OV for this very reason, and my kids are 6,11, and 14! The 6 year old could have an accident, the 14 year old, well, lets just say that the prefrontal cortex is the last thing to develop and he's proof of that. He's a great kid, but leaves us scratching our heads on a regular basis, LOL! We were pleasantly surprised by how nice the OV room is, and we all fought for the "window seat":)

On one of my cruises with my kids we had an inside cabin. My youngest was 10 at the time. He was sleep walking one night:eek: and tried to get out the cabin door . thank goodness i am a light sleeper. I could have upgraded to a balcony on my last cruise for very little $$ and I said no way .this kid does not remember anything about getting up that night:o its OV or inside for awhile :o

We had adjoining balcony rooms on the Splendor with kids ages, 4, 7, and 8. We locked their balcony door from the inside and made it a rule that they can never go on the balcony without an adult and they had to enter the balcony from our room (we had the balcony divider open to make one large balcony). We told them the dangers and it scared them enough to comply. We had the adjoining door always open and they were also told never to go out into the halls without us. Works to tell them the dangers and safety rules. Never used Camp Carnival either. But I am one of "those" parents that make them have manners, tell them not to run, don't yell...etc. I was also happy the balcony rail was pretty high up. It worked great!!

A great answer! More parents should teach such good social skills!

Your Steward can lock the door for you, there is an actual "lock" with a key on every balcony, on very rare occasions Stewards have been ordered to lock the balcony doors until they pass through strong storms etc. it happens more often on Princess than from what I've heard on other lines, but yes, for safety reasons all balcony doors can be locked.

I'm not going to freak out and ask why wouldn't you book them into an inside, but it would be cheaper! That's for sure ;)

Anyhow, I can only imagine the cost of 2 balcony rooms would be near the cost of a suite that would sleep all of you :confused:

I thought of a suite when I booked last year but we have 5 people. AND getting 2 balcony rooms afforded us the roominess of two rooms and two balcony's. The kids go to sleep earlier too and with two rooms, we can shut the door just a bit and watch TV without disturbing them. IMO. And when the kids get way older, they may be moved to an inside room and my hubby and I can get the suite!! (wishing...hoping...):D

Archived