Just returned from Magnifica 10-17 Apr, Questioned answered if I can....

tc80tc80

Thank you so much. I think I have had all my questions answered thanks to CC. This is our first cruise so we have no expectations and we can have a great time anywhere with anyone! I think we'll do most of the ports on our own but Istanbul and Ephesus will be with a tour. Thanks again.

Hi Ann,

We did Istanbul on our own by getting a taxi on the pier that took us to the location of the Blue Mosque, St. Sophia, Palace, etc. These sites are very close and you can walk from one to the other. We usually use the ship's tour info and make up our own tour.

Beware of taxi drivers, one tried to short change us on our return to the pier. Pay exact amount of money you decided on before taking the taxi and just leave the taxi.

During our visit we could hear the summoning to the mosques and see the smoke from the towers all over the city.

Hope this helps.

Some British friends told us before we departed that each night would feature a region of Italy, and this was so. There would be five courses from that style of Italian cuisine, but only our big (6'5") travel mate could eat all five courses!

In addition, there were at least two other selections for each course most nights. And Italian, of course, isn't limited to pizza and pasta, which is what some here in the US think of. An example of a full meal might be proscuitto and melon, asparagus cream soup, seafood risotto, leg of lamb, and creme brulee. Very international, really, but then, so is food in restaurants in Italy.

We enjoyed it thoroughly and I had only one complaint, and that was that a salmon entree was overcooked one night. Still trying to get into my jeans upon our return!

If you do Istanbul on your own, you can't go wrong by getting a cab to take you to the park where The Blue Mosque is. From there it's a short walk to the Hagia Sophia, and Topkapi Palace. Not to be missed is the Arasta Bazaar, which is just one street behind the Blue Mosque. It has high quality goods, a nice outdoor restaurant, and a sweet tea house. It's a place we always go back to and a calm spot in this wonderful, busy city. These destinations will give you a real feel for Istanbul and are easy to do in a few hours.

Wow, didn't think it would be that easy to get around Istanbul. Thanks; I think we'll forego the tour and do it on our own. Since Turkey isn't on the euro, are there ATM's when you get off the ship or did you bring Turkish Lira with you?

The main avenue 1/2 block parallel to the cruise port has both bank/ATMs (as does the Grand Bazaar etc.; they're everywhere) and also has a 'straight shot' modern tram that crosses the Galetta Bridge stopping in front of the Egyptian (Spice) Bazaar, then Topkapi, then Sultanahmet Square ('tween Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque) then up the avenue stopping twice 1/2 block - or less - from entrances to the Grand Bazaar. DK Eyewitness Travel publishes a superb guide book with maps of everything (including the interior of the Grand Bazaar). Absolutely, hit Topkapi first - as it is quickly overrun by tourists; one can loiter in the outer courtyards until opening. We did a large 'circle' using the tram and finally walking through the 'hans' area from the Grand Bazaar to the Spice Bazaar where we picked up the tram and returned to the port. With just a little study, it's very easy.

We will also tour istanbul on our own,two of my sisters (well we are six:)) were there last novembre and found the tram very easy and cheap,no need at all for a tour in istanbul.

Ann,we will board the ship on your istanbul port day,hope it will be a nice cruise for all of us.

If you do Istanbul on your own, you can't go wrong by getting a cab to take you to the park where The Blue Mosque is. From there it's a short walk to the Hagia Sophia, and Topkapi Palace. Not to be missed is the Arasta Bazaar, which is just one street behind the Blue Mosque. It has high quality goods, a nice outdoor restaurant, and a sweet tea house. It's a place we always go back to and a calm spot in this wonderful, busy city. These destinations will give you a real feel for Istanbul and are easy to do in a few hours.

Hi summer

Can i ask your opinion please? On my first ever cruise we called at Istanbul. I didd the ship's tour along with some other people at my table (also first timers and solos). We enjoyed the tour and din't have any issues when we had free time in the grand Bazaar but then there were 5 of us and 1 was a man. I'm going to be calling at istabul again and I'm debating doing it on my own (taxi or tram), however I will be on my own again. Do you think as a single femal I'm likely to have a lot of problems if I try that? (I may be lucky again with my table mates and have someone to go ashore with, but just in case I don't...)

Amo, forgive me for butting in here, but I've been to Istanbul many times, the latest being in August 2009 with my wife. As a single female if you go on your own nothing bad will happen to you but you might find yourself "bothered" by unwanted male attention, if you know what I mean. I would recommend teaming up with one or two fellow passengers - maybe better if one is male. The Turks are generally good people but shopkeepers in the Grand Bazaar frequently go for the hard sell when the prospective customer is female.

I don't think I'd be uncomfortable on my own, as a woman, in Istanbul. But then again, I've been there several times and I'm also a senior citizen so my days of being pestered are behind me. It's true that the sales push is strong, but the Turks are lovely and if you're friendly and say, 'no thank you', that's an end to it - whether you're male or female.

Hi -

We are considering this for a family reunion cruise. We all want to see the Blue Mosque.

Did you speak to anyone who went to the Blue Mosque in Istanbul? Is it hard to get there on your own? How far is it from where the ship docks...i.e. could we walk to it?

Thanks, A.W.

Hi again - I see that there are some comments about Istanbul in this thread previously which I hadn't noticed. I just read those through, sorry to bother everyone...looks like it is fairly straight forward either by taxi or by tram. We will be 10 people however, so perhaps the tram makes sense? Thanks everyone for such great postings.

Archived