Ships moved to different ports (merged)

From someone who has to fly everywhere to cruise, I don't get the gazillion posts about Mariner leaving. You would rather repeat the same itinerary over and over again (how many times a year would you do this?) and drive to the port than fly somewhere to do something different?

You still have options, Carnival, Norwegian, Princess etc all have MR itins.

Very good point. I already did the Mariner to the Mexican Riviera in 2009. I only booked the April 2011 cruise because I was with a group. The move turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I found a really interesting cruise on the HAL Oosterdam later that same month out of San Diego. It is ten nights and will go to three ports I've never been to. Had I stayed on the Mariner I would not have found this cruise.

I wish the Voyager was sailing this winter, just booked on the Carnival Triumph today for a fall 2010 trip. Having a RCI ships 10 minutes from the house beats driving to Florida or Texas.

I wish the Voyager was sailing this winter, just booked on the Carnival Triumph today for a fall 2010 trip. Having a RCI ships 10 minutes from the house beats driving to Florida or Texas.

We are going to miss the Voyager in Galveston. Has been our ship of choice for a few years. One of the best staff members you'll ever find. Oh well. . .we can drive to N.O. and eat to our hearts content and sail VOTS.

I really don't see the airport drive as an issue for Galveston. I'm from LA, and have flown into Hobby for my Galveston cruises. I fly in the night before, get a supershuttle to Galveston, then stay overnigth in one of the Galveston hotels with a free shuttle to the port.

The airport ride is maybe $100 bucks for the five of us?? And it takes like 40 minutes, depending on traffic. It's REALLY easy, and I actually enjoy the ride.

I've also never been affected by weather in any of the ports I've sailed from, San Pedro, Long Beach, San Diego, Miami, FLL, PC, or Galveston.:D

It's not as big of an issue if you're flying into Hobby. But if you're like the majority of us flying into IAH then the airport drive is an issue. Unfortunately we don't all have access to Southwest Airlines. Driving an hour or more after a four hour flight isn't how I like to start my vacation. The car rental agencies have quite a racket down there with the drop off fees.

It is a bit of a ripoff for you folks to fly in and rent a car. Might I suggest flying in a day before and then see if the hotel you could book near Galveston might provide cheaper transport? Sometimes you can get a hotel nearer Galveston and the hotel will transport you from the airport to the hotel and then the hotel will provide transport to Galveston. Just a thought.

It's not as big of an issue if you're flying into Hobby. But if you're like the majority of us flying into IAH then the airport drive is an issue. Unfortunately we don't all have access to Southwest Airlines. Driving an hour or more after a four hour flight isn't how I like to start my vacation. The car rental agencies have quite a racket down there with the drop off fees.

You mean Enterprise. I thought Hertz never reopened after the hurricane.

With all the ship moves-does anyone know when itinerarys will be coming out for booking? I've always hoped they would return to NOLA and now I'm ready to book!!!

We are ready to book too!! We are so excited Voyager will be sailing out of New Orleans!!! Great News!!!

Never thought I would say this but it's time to build 'loyalty' points on Carnival. We don't always want to fly to cruise and having the Mariner here in LA was great. I did not like the Carnival Paradise too much but for us its time to try the Splendor.

Never thought I would say this but it's time to build 'loyalty' points on Carnival. We don't always want to fly to cruise and having the Mariner here in LA was great. I did not like the Carnival Paradise too much but for us its time to try the Splendor.

There is also the Spirit out of San Diego from October-April. The Spirit does 4,5,6,7,8 & 9 day cruises out of San Diego.

• 8 months later...

I am new to this website but see you have been to multiple Europe cruises. I am a first time cruiser going the end of march to italy greece and turkey. My ports are Rome, Naples, Sicily (messina port), Rhodes, Crete, Athens, and Kudasis. Have you been to these ports..if so any recomendations? Would you recomend just going with the cruise lines excursions(royal carribean) or using seperate tour companies?

I am new to this website but see you have been to multiple Europe cruises. I am a first time cruiser going the end of march to italy greece and turkey. My ports are Rome, Naples, Sicily (messina port), Rhodes, Crete, Athens, and Kudasis. Have you been to these ports..if so any recomendations? Would you recomend just going with the cruise lines excursions(royal carribean) or using seperate tour companies?

Kriten,

Welcome to CC!

If you go to the "boards" page, scroll down to ports and post your question on those threads.

You'll find tons of information on Eurean ports.

Have a great time planning your cruise.

Archived