how many dresses will I need for 2 week cruise?

ggirl28

We are cruising for the first time this summer. Western Med Oceana July 10th.

My daughter and I need to go dress shopping but wonder how many will we need?

What do people wear on the non formal nights?

And what on earth do I put on my 7yr old son?http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

Thanks

And what on earth do I put on my 7yr old son?http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

Thanks

I'd have thought that a nice collared shirt and smart trousers would be fine.

Please don't dress small children in dress suits. They are not toys.

Thanks

If you are anything like my wife then you and your daughter will require at least 40 each. By contrast, your 7yr old son will probably be happy wearing the same clothes for the week.

Enjoy your cruise!

ggirl

Firstly,which ship are you going on,? If Ventura its formal and smart casual nights, the others have semi formal as well.

As Meg says, even the smart casual are pretty 'tidy' no denim, sports wear, but clothes you would wear to a nice pub restaurant - chinos, trousers for men - no jacket required, but ss/ or l/s shirt or polo top etc.... Woman smart tops and skirts/trousers..etc

Semi formal, cocktail dresses, smart trousers and tops

Formal long dresses with wraps, or cocktail dresses or cocktail type smart trousers and tops.

If your son is going to dine with you in the evening he will need to adhere to the dress code, trousers, shirt and tie, and a jacket, many boys wear a mini-me tux on formal.

The girls are even seen in 'bridesmaid dresses' on formal nights or smart 'party' dresses

Otherwise he can dine at childrens tea earlier in the evening 5pm ish and go off to the childrens clubs, leaving you to dine with your partner.

Word of warning dont buy anything expensive for the children to wear to dinner... My friend went with her grand children they all had their evening outfits to wear to dinner.. guess what they preferred to eat with their friends at the children's early dinner instead.... but she wasnt disappointed just glad they enjoyed themselves so much..

It's the Oceana we're going on. Our 18yr old daughter is also coming so we would ideally like to all eat together.

I was hoping a shirt and chino type trousers would be formal enough for my son - don't really want to have to buy a suit for him :o

Ok, my two penn'orth as far as your 7 year old goes:). Have sailed 20 plus cruises, admittedly this will be our first P&O, no little boy HAS to be dressed formally to eat with his family on formal night. Parents may enjoy dressing them up, boys may like to dress up (as the mother of 3 sons, albeit now married, I think little boys who like to be in a jacket and tie are pretty thin on the ground;)) but no way will they be out of place in a shirt and long trousers or knee length smart shorts in the dining room on formal night (ask any maitre d').

Have a wonderful 1st cruise, bet you will be hooked:)

Sue

Archived