Snorkeling in Caymans.

Otis Hertz Alott

I was thinking of snorkeling off of 7 mile beach, but did not necessarily want to pay for a snorkeling excursion. Has anyone done it on their own here? Are there hotels or other outfits on the beach that will rent to non-hotel guests? If so, which ones, and how much, and for how long? I know that there are a couple of reefs that are about 200 yards off the shore north of Ritz Carlton, but not sure if there are any other ones.

Also, anyone know a cheap place to buy Tortuga rum cake?

Snorkeling is not great from 7 mile beach - too sandy. You can snorkel on your own at Eden Rock Dive Center. It is about a 10 min. walk to the right as you are leaving the tender pier. They have equipment for rent. We had an excellent day snorkeling there the end of March. You can google their website for prices (we rented 3 sets of fins and 2 lifejackets for $27). You can also rent lockers there. After snorkeling there, we walked in the opposite direction about 15 min. to The Wreck of the Cali at Divers Down. We have our own masks and snorkels. When snorkeling there we did not use fins or lifejackets. The wreck is just past the floating dock (where you can stop and rest). Before we got there, there were several paid excursions that dropped people off there on boats to snorkel. You can also snorkel at Cheeseburger Reef by Burger King which is close to Divers Down. Another place that is popular is Cemetary Reef (you need to take a taxi or bus to get there). At the top of the Grand Cayman forum go to "Search this forum" and type in snorkeling and you will get lots of info.

You do not have to book with the cruiseline to snorkel at Eden Rock, The Wreck of the Cali, Cheeseburger Reef or Cemetary Reef. You can do it all on your own without any transportation (easy walk to the sites from the tender pier). Your only cost is for equipment if you need to rent any.

According to the Eden Rock Dive Center website you can rent their equipment for the entire day - so I'm assuming you could rent it there and return it later (you would have to walk back in opposite direction). We rented fins and life jackets only and returned them when we were finished. You could also rent a locker there and leave your stuff there the whole time. At The Wreck of the Cali we swam without fins (we do this often when snorkeling) and there was a raft in the middle of the swimming area where my boys could rest before swimming to the wreck so we did not need lifejackets. My DH does not wear a life jacket but my sons and I feel more comfortable with them if we have to swim very far. The Wreck of the Cali is at Divers Down. We did not go in their building, but they may rent equipment there also.

You do not have to have reservations to snorkel at either place. There were 3 ships when we were there. Paradise Cafe (before Eden Dive Center with access to Eden Rock) was very crowded. Just walk 2 more minutes to Eden Dive Center and very few people. Large area to snorkel so it wasn't a problem. At the Wreck of the Cali we noticed several boat tours with excursions but we walked over to Burger King and bought the boys some burgers and when we headed back we were the only ones there with about 4 other people.

• 1 year later...
Is the wreck site very interesting for snorkeling, or is it a tourist trap?:eek: Thanks!

Not sure which wreck you are referring to. The George Town wrecks (Cali, Gamma, etc...) are free and reachable easily from shore. The Kittiwake is designed as a tourist attraction and has a $5 fee for snorkelers (even if you swim out the far distance from shore)and is best reached by boat.

Archived