Newbie Questions: Room Service vs MDR/WJ

Oh, I hope I used the right abbreviations in that title.

In any case, we're in a bit of a bind for our upcoming cruise.

When I called to make my reservation for our upcoming cruise, I thought I requested early dining. Apparently, there was a misunderstanding because the man I spoke to gave me an 8:30pm seating. Well, with a 3 year old, that really won't work! So I called to change it and have been put on a waitlist for my time dining. The early seating wasn't available. (bummer)

If we can't do My Time Dining, I'm wondering about the following:

1. Since we have a fairly big suite (it sounds like the the royal family suite is pretty big), is it doable to just do room service for dinner, is there space to eat on the balcony?

2. Is room service reliable? In my search on this, I saw some comments that room service never came!

3. We've signed up for auto-tipping, does that follow us to where we eat? So if we do the buffet at windjammer, will the waitstaff there get our auto tip?

4. Someone mentioned on one of the threads that it is courtesy to tell your seatmates in the MDR if you are not going to dinner. Is this true? Can we tell guest services that we won't be going so that they can release our seats to someone who might need them? I'm not sure if we would ever go at 8:30pm, as I wouldn't want to put our little guy (and the other passengers) in a situation where he would be cranky.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just a little confused by all the info that I've read.

thanks!

When I called to make my reservation for our upcoming cruise, I thought I requested early dining. Apparently, there was a misunderstanding because the man I spoke to gave me an 8:30pm seating. Well, with a 3 year old, that really won't work! So I called to change it and have been put on a waitlist for my time dining. The early seating wasn't available. (bummer)

I would try again when you get there!

1. Since we have a fairly big suite (it sounds like the the royal family suite is pretty big), is it doable to just do room service for dinner, is there space to eat on the balcony?

Haven't been in that suite, but we did a lot of Room Service on our cruise and it worked very well. We did breakfast every day and ate on the balcony. I ordered the night before and it was there promptly every day, hot and just what we ordered.

We did dinner for the kids a couple of nights and it arrived in about 45 minutes and worked out well for us!

I believe that you are in the level suite that you can get what is on the MDR for Room Service, this was a nice feature!

2. Is room service reliable? In my search on this, I saw some comments that room service never came! Very reliable for us!

3. We've signed up for auto-tipping, does that follow us to where we eat? So if we do the buffet at windjammer, will the waitstaff there get our auto tip?

4. Someone mentioned on one of the threads that it is courtesy to tell your seatmates in the MDR if you are not going to dinner. Is this true? Can we tell guest services that we won't be going so that they can release our seats to someone who might need them? I'm not sure if we would ever go at 8:30pm, as I wouldn't want to put our little guy (and the other passengers) in a situation where he would be cranky. We did let the MDR know if we were not going to be eating there that night. Not sure if it was necessary, but they appreciated it!

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just a little confused by all the info that I've read.

thanks!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!! :D

A few ways to go. Usually around 1 pm the Matrie D' wil lbe outside the MDR. (if it is a Voayger class ship, the doors will be opened on the middle floor DR) Go directly there as soon as you board to find out about your seating. If in fact you were switched to MTD or alert them of your situation. If they cant change you to MTD or Early, then let them know, as a courtesy that you will dine at WJ, room service (or Johnny Rockets). Yes, that is so your table can accomodate someone looking to switch to late.

If the sail is full it might be tough to switch. If you opt to go to the windjammer every night or mix it up, you will still have an amazing cruise and enjoy yourself.

Im out on the tipping following you. But I can tell you we have used room service often and it arrives hot. Plus, if you use it for breakfast, they call before they come so it serves as a wake up call as well!

You can order RS in your suite..anything on the menu in the MDR during the appropriate hours...your suite attendant will change the menu each day...

It works well, and it always arrived....and BTW your tips do NOT cover room service.....

The servers who work in the MDR and WJ are the same, so the tips are divided anyway (the pre paid tips---anything you give in cash goes to that person..)

That said, if you don't have your preferred seating time, you should be able to change it on the ship..

enjoy!

The RFS has a table and chairs in a "dining area" in the living room.

There is also room on the balcony - table and chairs there, too.

Archived