Piraeus - alternatives to going to Athens

AmoMondo

I've been to piraeus before and I'm trying to find out some alternatives to going back to Athens. i can't drive, so is there anything interesting in Piraeus itself, within walking distance or short taxi ride? What about nearby beaches - does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

We spent a great day in Piaeus a couple of years ago. Since we spent the day in Athens the year before we decided to explore Piraeus. I had found a walking tour and had a good map with the public transportation outlined. We walked up Sachtoyri St to Freattydos Beach and continued to walk around the harbors. Unfortunately it was Monday so the Naval Museum and the Archaeological Museum were closed. There were some beautiful yachts and colorful fishing boats. We continued around Zeas Harbor to Votsalakia Beach and watched some kids playing soccer. The beaches were your typical city beaches but the water was very clean. There were also a lot of people in swimming for May. We decided to take the #20 trolley the rest of the way around the coast and went into a supermarket to inquire about a ticket. A very nice man gave us two and explained that it was good for 90 minutes on the trolley, bus or metro. We rode the trolley to the end than hopped on the metro at the Faliro station and took it back to the main terminal. We then walked back to the cruise terminal. We enjoyed wandering around Piraeus and seeing how the people of Athens lived. On the street we passed a man with a grill cooking octopus and selling it just like people sell hot dogs here. There are also some beautiful churches.

Thanks so much Eileen for all that information. I'm definitiely going to find out more about that trolley bus and get a map and follow your example. I'm going to be there in July, so i think strolling along the waterfront and beaches is going to be more pleasant than being in the heat of Athens City.

Just walk around the harbor (keep the water on your left) until you come to the ferry piers (this is before you get to the metro station). Look for a hydrofoil or fast jet boat that is going to the island of Aegina (its actually a good idea to check the on-line schedules (just google Pireaus to Aegina Ferries), buy a ticket, and go off to Aeginia for the the day. If you like to swim definitely take your swim suit since there is a beach within walking distance of the ferry pier (on Aeginia). If you like pistacchio nuts you will be in "nut heaven" since the island is famous for their nuts. Once you get to Aegina just spend a quiet few hours on the island (there are some nice cafes in town) and then return to Pirueas after a few hours of wonderful nothingness.

Hank

Archived