Red Sea opinions please

:confused::confused::D:DHello all, I am enjoying all you threads and wonder if you could help me. I and my daughter would like to go away in OCT 10. We like the heat but get a bit fed up just sunbathing. I fancy the Red Sea....could you give me the benefit of your experiences Thanks

:confused::confused::D:DHello all, I am enjoying all you threads and wonder if you could help me. I and my daughter would like to go away in OCT 10. We like the heat but get a bit fed up just sunbathing. I fancy the Red Sea....could you give me the benefit of your experiences Thanks

Hello and welcome!

The Red Sea is a fabulous itinerary - but is one where, if you want to get the most from it and get off the ship, you really need to go on organised excursions - the ports are industrial and some distance from anywhere you could walk to. If you want to see the 'big' attractions (Pyramids, Petra and Luxor) or even get off the ship you will really need to take the Thomson trips. This means two things:

- you have a significant additional cost to add into your holiday expenses depending on how many of the excursions you do and

- you have very long days off the ship (excursions are 10/11/12 hours long) if you want to go to the pyramids etc.

(There are some half day excursions if you're not bothered about the 'biggies').

This may not be an issue for you and I do believe it's a great trip but it's not really typical of the other cruises we've done. Usually there are a number of ports where you can just wander off the ship, look around the town, have a drink and drift back to the ship when you are ready perhaps in time for the cream teas ;) - or to have an hour or two in the sun. You can be rather more independent (perhaps this also means more flexible) in your choice of activity.

Some ports like Civitavecchia (for Rome) for example, are some distance from the main attractions, but generally there are a 'mix' of destinations where it's possible to adopt a DiY approach, take excursions or stay all day on the ship - which gives you more options.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Red Sea - and some people do go year after year just to soak up the sun and don't 'do' any trips at all, but I think it's best you are aware before booking that it's predominantly 'go on a trip or stay on board' type of cruise - not one where you can potter off and just take it as it comes. The Adriatic for example, it's a case of just get off at every port if you want to and do your own thing for as long or little time as you want to because everything is just 'there' to get off the ship and explore.

I can see the attraction of Egypt in October as it's going to be hot and perhaps it's the best one for you on that basis. But perhaps you would feel that this difference between that itinerary and many others may influence your decision making. I hope this is the kind of info you were seeking - I wouldn't want to put you off - the sights are stunning and it's an amazing place to visit. Good luck with your planning. :)

I agree with all Kruzseeka says and will say what I always say which is that the Red Sea is nothing like the Caribbean !!! I met a chap on one of our Red Sea cruises who was really disappointed that it wasn't all beautiful beaches.....it has a dry heat rather than humid and will be hot in October!!

The ports are all industrial, some more than others, and as Kruzseeka says if you want to go ashore you really have to go on a trip ...apart from Aqaba which does have a shuttle to the town and it is safe to walk around but there's not really much there....there is a beach but we haven't been to it.....at most of the ports Thomson do lay on half day trips locally if you don't want to do the 'big' ones. it is also quite nice to stay on board a nearly empty ship and just chill out !! It really depends what you want from a holiday ....

Agree with all the above. If you do the trips expect to add another £180.00 approx for the two of you per day. Petra is a must see. Cairo is a trip to do once but probably never again! And Luxor is an extremely long day, about 13 hours. If you do choose just to stay on board as JennyWren says you will have the ship to yourselves. When we were there on the three big trips over 950 passengers went on them leaving a little over 200 on board.;)

Hello and welcome!

The Red Sea is a fabulous itinerary - but is one where, if you want to get the most from it and get off the ship, you really need to go on organised excursions - the ports are industrial and some distance from anywhere you could walk to. If you want to see the 'big' attractions (Pyramids, Petra and Luxor) or even get off the ship you will really need to take the Thomson trips. This means two things:

- you have a significant additional cost to add into your holiday expenses depending on how many of the excursions you do and

- you have very long days off the ship (excursions are 10/11/12 hours long) if you want to go to the pyramids etc.

(There are some half day excursions if you're not bothered about the 'biggies').

This may not be an issue for you and I do believe it's a great trip but it's not really typical of the other cruises we've done. Usually there are a number of ports where you can just wander off the ship, look around the town, have a drink and drift back to the ship when you are ready perhaps in time for the cream teas ;) - or to have an hour or two in the sun. You can be rather more independent (perhaps this also means more flexible) in your choice of activity.

Some ports like Civitavecchia (for Rome) for example, are some distance from the main attractions, but generally there are a 'mix' of destinations where it's possible to adopt a DiY approach, take excursions or stay all day on the ship - which gives you more options.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Red Sea - and some people do go year after year just to soak up the sun and don't 'do' any trips at all, but I think it's best you are aware before booking that it's predominantly 'go on a trip or stay on board' type of cruise - not one where you can potter off and just take it as it comes. The Adriatic for example, it's a case of just get off at every port if you want to and do your own thing for as long or little time as you want to because everything is just 'there' to get off the ship and explore.

I can see the attraction of Egypt in October as it's going to be hot and perhaps it's the best one for you on that basis. But perhaps you would feel that this difference between that itinerary and many others may influence your decision making. I hope this is the kind of info you were seeking - I wouldn't want to put you off - the sights are stunning and it's an amazing place to visit. Good luck with your planning. :)

The Red Sea Magic cruises do not start until 4th November.:)

The Egypt and Holy Land in October will give you Cairo ( and Jerusalem ) but not Petra nor Luxor. Red Sea Voyage on 28.10.10 will not give you Luxor (and not Jersualem).

Jerusalem is easily possible as DIY - Petra is also if you plan in advance or on the first day in port if you are on Red Sea magic - Luxor has to be with Thomson - Cairo is possible to do DIY but you must fully arrange this in advance and cover all angles primarily that the guide will meet you at the ship and return you to it.Other than that Cairo independently will be better as you will not have to waste as much time as the official excursion does and can spend more time at the sites.

Have fun if you book.If you are wanting the most trips avoid Red Sea Voyage as it has a lot of days at sea or cruising !:)

hi westieho,were doing red sea voyage departing oct. 28th.its sailing from turkey and across med then up suez canal before we stop any where so theres 2 days at sea.then its port sokhna in egypt and then another day at sea before we go to israel.then aquaba.and then sharm el sheik where we fly home from.seeing theres 3 full days at sea there wont be so much to spend on excursions as we,ll be on the ship relaxing.its the relocation cruise from marmaris to sharm before the red sea magic begins in november.i,m really looking forward to going up suez canal not too mention seeing the pyramids etc.just thought id let you know,ade.

hi westieho We agree with all above.

We did the Red Sea Cruise as our 1st cruise back in November 09, I would advise you to take some good / comfortable walking shoes especially for Petra. The walk down and around Petra is over a dusty path and takes about 2 hours, some people on our cruise did not do any pre-planning and turned up wearing open toed sandals and then complained that their feet were hurting. Some warm clothing is advisable when going over the mountains, although when we went to Petra the weather was warm.icon7.gif

Archived