FOS Western Caribbean - Port or Starboard Cabin?

jldev

We are planning on cruising the Western Caribbean (port stops of Labadee, Falmouth, George Town and Cozumel) next year. I'd like to know which side is better to have a cabin on, view-wise. On past cruises I've enjoyed being on the side that is next to the pier so that I can watch all the comings and goings from my cabin when in port. Does anyone know if there is there a side of the ship in this itinerary that is better for that?

I can tell you from experience that there is no way to tell in advance which side will be the best.

The way the ship docks can depend on:

1) The number or which other ships are there

2) The weather that particular moment (wind speed & direction)

3) The currents (tide in or tide out) that time of day

4) What the pilot tells the Captain

5) The Captains mood at that particular moment -- funny story there:

I got this directly from one of the officers when I asked him about it that night:

When we were on the Rhapsody coming into Cozumel (this was back when the Voyager was BRAND NEW and the big big deal-kind of like the Oasis is now), the Captain was coming bow into dock very normally to dock next to the Voyager, and there were 3 other ships watching. We were almost to the dock when the Captain on the Voyager blew her horn. The Rhapsody suddenly reversed engines, started turning, did a 180 right there between two other ships, and then backed into the dock. Then the Rhapsody blew her horn twice. The Captain was showing off, and all the people on the decks watching were yelling, laughing, and applauding.

Hope This Helps.

Yes thanks, that sure does help and takes the pressure off when choosing which side. The cruise ships that come into Wellington harbour always berth the same way so I just thought that might be the same at those Caribbean ports. Never mind, it will be luck of the draw :)

Archived