Live From The Sun!

cruiserforlife

I wished I would have started cruising earlier, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have brought my kids until they were mid to late teens. Self sufficient, could find the food or the bathroom and trusted not to snorkel around the propellers.

Cruising now is a chance for me to spend a lot of quality time with my wife. Kids would be a distraction - especially ours. And now that ours are grown and gone, its our turn and you know, we deserve to have our time too. Both of us having devoted 19 and 22 years respectively, and a large fraction of our budget, to both of our girls, its time to push them out in the pond and let them swim on their own- while we cruise on by...

As far as comparison with a "land cruise", I've tried that in Hawaii. I swear that while cruise ships would try sell you the paint off the deck, hotels in Hawaii have a little counter behind the toilet paper roll charging you by the sheet.

I've run the numbers many times and nothing beats the cost effectiveness of a moderately priced cruise for a relaxing vacation.

I wished I would have started cruising earlier, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have brought my kids until they were mid to late teens. Self sufficient, could find the food or the bathroom and trusted not to snorkel around the propellers.

Cruising now is a chance for me to spend a lot of quality time with my wife. Kids would be a distraction - especially ours. And now that ours are grown and gone, its our turn and you know, we deserve to have our time too. Both of us having devoted 19 and 22 years respectively, and a large fraction of our budget, to both of our girls, its time to push them out in the pond and let them swim on their own- while we cruise on by...

As far as comparison with a "land cruise", I've tried that in Hawaii. I swear that while cruise ships would try sell you the paint off the deck, hotels in Hawaii have a little counter behind the toilet paper roll charging you by the sheet.

I've run the numbers many times and nothing beats the cost effectiveness of a moderately priced cruise for a relaxing vacation.

Truer words have never been spoken...thanks for the input!

Wow, how much did ABQ get? I moved back home from there, no offense to NM, but I hated it. I grew up here in PA and missed it. And this way I'm closer to the seaports! LOL:D

Hi Carrie...believe me...none taken. I'm a Colorado Girl and I never feel like I can really breath until I go home. I've hated NM since I got here but once you're here it's hard to leave. All in all we like Edgewood and like being only a few hours away from CO. as well as the airport that gets us out of here and takes us away to oue pre cruise destinations. :D

To all the rest of you Sun posters...we leave tonight and catch an early flight out tomorrow bound for Miami. We'll be on the Sun in less than a week, unfortunately I won't be able to post live but will give you my assessment when I get back.

Guest Jaxmania

A big thanks to all of you who have taken the time on your cruise to post from the Sun Princess.

We sailed on her in 1996 and because of your positive posts we have booked a 10 day Southern Medly in April, 2006.

It takes a good heart and a giving person to take time out of their vacation to share with others. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Cruiserforlife

What time is the muster drill? What time does the ship leave Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks

Phyllis

FBrew,

Muster drill is right around 5pm and sailaway is shortly after that,right around 5:30.Sailaway is always the highlight of my cruise...sweetheart on my arm,drink in hand,horns blowing...Ahh,if I close my eyes now,it's almost like I'm there now...

A big thanks to all of you who have taken the time on your cruise to post from the Sun Princess.

We sailed on her in 1996 and because of your positive posts we have booked a 10 day Southern Medly in April, 2006.

It takes a good heart and a giving person to take time out of their vacation to share with others. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Good for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy the Sun again,she's in beautiful shape and the itineary is excellent.

CFL, thanks I'll let you know how it goes. Weren't you the one who was sick on your cruise? Man, I hope I don't follow in your footsteps. My DH has been sick for about 6 weeks and is finally almost over it. I've been fighting it but was out of town for my Grandma's funeral. Sleeping on floors, staying up till all hous talking with family, averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night...I'm whoooped and I'm sick. Hopefully the warm weather will heal me.

Talk with you all when I get back.

CFL, thanks I'll let you know how it goes. Weren't you the one who was sick on your cruise? Man, I hope I don't follow in your footsteps. My DH has been sick for about 6 weeks and is finally almost over it. I've been fighting it but was out of town for my Grandma's funeral. Sleeping on floors, staying up till all hous talking with family, averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night...I'm whoooped and I'm sick. Hopefully the warm weather will heal me.

Talk with you all when I get back.

rucruizin,

Yes,it was I who was sick but that didn't seem to affect my appetite,I still managed to pound 18 lobster tails on the 2nd. formal night.

Seriously,the seas were rough and I had a pretty bad cold but that didn't stop me from having a great time!Met some really nice CC members and had a wonderful time despite the difficulties.My brother-in-law just stepped off the Diamond last week and was sick as a dog (still is) from a bad cold so bottom line:It does happen and can happen to anyone.What can you do?Probably nothing but make the best of it.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know when you get back.

CFL

Hello to all the fellow Sun Cruisers! It has been awhile since I have been on here and it looks like everone is still in cruise mode, weather you are pre or post cruise. We had a wonderful time on our 2/17 sailing and met some really fun people from the CC roll calls. The Sun is one of the best cruises we have ever been on and we may just do it again next year with a few different ports. We have also looked into a couple of the Hawaii cruises. Does anyone have any information or experience with any of those?

Keep up the postings and enjoy your Easter, wherever you might be at land or sea!

rc51

Your killing me.... Post pictures to your hearts content, I will sit back and do all the drooling. :D

Would love to see some pictures of St. Kitts and if you dont mind I would love something sent to my e-mail so that I can share them with others that have booked the trip with us. Thank you so much for posting and for sharing!!

staylor@hmttank.com

Sharon & Scott, I have some digital pictures that I can send you from our cruise on the Sun on 2/17/05 sailing. I will get some of those off to you via email ASAP. If any one else is interested, just let me know and I will send them out. We had a great time and I know you will too!!!!

Thanks to everyone posting on this thread. This is getting me very excited about my Alaskan Cruise on the Sun. I am counting down the days til May 23. Hopefully this thread is still going then..that'll be cool. I probably won't be posting while on the sun (1st time cruiser no free internet) but you'll be sure to here from me when I return. And with it being me honeymoon..the internet is the last thing on my mind.

Cruzzers ~ we sailed to Hawaii out of Ensenada several years ago on Rapsody of the Seas. It was a wonderful cruise. If doing it again, I'd probably choose to do Infinity. We like the ship and she now does round trips to Hawaii out of San Diego. Ask away and I'll see what info I can provide. Be sure to visit the Hawaii Ports of Call boards for lots of Hawaii info as well.

Hi Anne,

Palolake here from our Sun Cruise. We did book the Summit for a 1/29 cruise to Hawaii from Los Angeles. I'm a little worried about the seven days at sea since I tend to get motion sick. Was your Hawaii cruise much rougher than our Sun Princess Cruise? I didn't even think to ask your opinion about the waves until now. Thanks!

Hi Cathy ~ actually, we didn't have any rough seas on our Hawaii cruise. The seas on the Sun this past January were far rougher. The Hawaii cruise is wonderful. We'd do it again in a heartbeat. We love all the days at sea and there is so much to see and do in the Hawaiian Islands that we could do ten cruises and not see it all (we've since vacationed there for two weeks as well).

It's almost impossible to know these days, though, what the seas might be like. The weather the past year has been so unpredictable that I don't think you can compare what our cruise was four years ago to know. I doubt though, that the seas could be worse than what we had in the Caribbean this past January.

My advice....go have a blast. :) Let me know if you need any other info. I've got lots (and be sure to visit the Hawaii Ports of Call board -- lots of great info there, too).

Hi all, We're leaving on the Sun tomorrow. Can't wait. This thread has been great. I won't be able to post from the ship, but will try to let you know how things went when we get back. Our last cruise on the Sun was six years ago through the Panama Canal. We just loved it then and I'm sure she'll be just as gorgeous this time. Kathy

We're not sailing til 4/06 but love reading the updates. Keep them coming! I wonder how long this thread can last...

Good question and good morning!It seems to have a life of it's own so maybe it's got legs...sea legs that is! I know I enjoy reading this thread daily.

KD and Mr. Miserable,

Have a grand time aboard the Sun and enjoy her as we all have.I hope the sun is warm and the seas are calm for you.Please report back and let us all know about it...

CFL

We did Hawaii on Infinity - beautiful ship. RT San Diego is a definite plus as disembarkation in Ensenada and being bused across the border was horrible. We literally had to get out of the bus and walk across the border. The line was approx 1/4 mile long and the area was disgusting and none of us felt safe. imagine 20 cruise busses getting to the border at the same time and dumping everyone out. Thank goodness it wasn't raining.

But it was a GREAT cruise. Go during whale season!

LisaH,

We're sailing to Hawaii at the end of January and that is prime whale watching season from what I understand. And it's from LA to LA, thank goodness!

Anne, sure any info would be appreciated. I've already got an online and real Hawaii folder started. Do you still have my e-mail?

Cathy

I shot about a dozen rolls of film and about 400 digital pics...will be starting the editing of them tonite. If anyone has any questions or wants to see a spot that I might have captured on film, let me know.

We would love to see your photo's. Our camera die two days into the trip and we had to buy disposable cameras for the rest of the trip. So feel free to send us anything you please.

Thank-you

Dreamer

kylehoag@sympatico.ca

Archived