Live From The Sun!

cruiserforlife

Coral just curious as to how many people are doing a back to back, do you know right now? We are doing that starting on the May 23rd cruise. Have you been able to stay in the same cabin? Keep the same dinning table ect? I know that these are probably premature but let me know if you can.

Carol

Hi - I was curious about the numbers also and asked at the shore excursion desk (happened to be there when asking about this complimentary tour). They said around 100 people. I knew there were many but didn't realize it was that high. Many have been on this ship for a total of 4 cruises. I guess I will find out for sure how many people tomorrow when we are all on the same tour.

Princess did assign me the same cabin for both weeks. I know this isn't always the case but I did get the same cabin. I am doing PC dining so I am not sure about the the same table.

Coral,

Thanks again for taking the time to post about this important development on the Sun regarding the virus.

Kudo's to Princess for taking care of you and the other B2B...the trip sounds great! It sounds as if Princess really acted quickly and hopefully has completely eradicated the problem.You'll be in a terrific position to let us know how next week plays out.

Your attitude is terrific! I'm not certain I'd be as cool as you if I was in your shoes.

Hope to hear about some better news soon.

CFL

Thanks Coral:

I really appreciate the anwers to my questions, please continue to have a great time and we can hardly wait for our time to be here, one week from tomorrow..and we will be on board!

Regards:

Carol

Tiramisu is good. The souffles are I think one of their "trademarks" as are their cold soups! Anyway, remember, cheesecake is always available. My youngest son also really enjoyed this icecream sundae thing with choc chips, banana, lots of whip cream, sundae syrup etc. off the kids menu! Plus, for some bizarre reason, we have been on Princess 3 x in the past 8 months, and their plate of cut strawberries are so so so yummy - its like they're individually dipped in sugar syrup. My youngest who is a fruitaholic orders 2 servings for breakfast (I don't think they're on the menu), and also orders them with dinner....

Another thing to remember - their alcohol is quite reasonable. You can also buy a bottle of wine and they'll cork it and put your room # on it and keep it night after night for you (if it lasts that long).

Enjoy.

Monday update -

We did the Wilderness Glacier Cruise today. The boat had approx 142 people on it, with 100 people being booked by Princess. Everyone seemed to enjoy the boat excursion. Some of us got a little sunburned today.

We got back to the ship about 6:15 or so and only one of the dining rooms was open (the other still being santized) and we were given a card saying dining tonight for us was at 8:45 pm. We decided to go to the pizzeria instead which was empty (no one knows about it yet).

We are all hoping things will be better this week. As long as I am healthy - I am keeping a positive outlook because there is so much I want to do in Alaska this week.

I just read on another thread that someone posted CDC reports and said that 121 passengers (6%) sick with 4 (.04%) crew. We were never told official numbers but those numbers don't surprise me.

Food has been good on the cruise but I have to admit that service is not up to par which has to be due to the NoroVirus. It is like everything was out of whack this week and staff had to be extra careful in serving us so that they didn't get sick and neither did we. It has definitely been an unusual cruise. I still feel that Princess did what they could to try to stop this illness as much as they could. If they had not implemented certain practices, many more of us would have been sick. I will write more when I return. For me in Alaska - the ship is not the destination, Alaska is.

Of the people that I spoke to on our boat trip today - they are all looking forward to next week. Despite the inconveniences we had last week - we all had a great time in Alaska and am looking forward to another fantastic week. The weather reports look great.

Coral,

Thanks for your detailed descriptions of your situation. It really gave me a feel for how things are going, and I must say, the cruise lines have their hands full when the virus appears and Princess seems to be doing the best they can!

Smart to go to the Pizzeria!! sounds yummy!

We were on the Sun from April 18-May 3 and never heard of any problems with norwalk virus--had rolls and salt and pepper etc on the tables. Only had hand sanitizier at Horizon Court. Did hear a lot of people coughing and did talk to some who had bad colds that had developed during the 15 day cruise. On the other subject--crowded shows, we had the same problem. Had to stand at the back for the first show because there were NO seats at all left when we got there about 20 minutes before showtime. We learned quickly that you had to take your book and camp out about 1 hour before if you wanted to get a seat at the 8:30 show! But it was a great cruise through the Panama Canal. Sorry to hear about all the problems with the virus. I agree that Joe is a really great singer and we thoroughly enjoyed the production shows.:) :cool: :o :D ;)

Coral,

Glad to hear things are going as smoothly as possible on an otherwise "strange" cruise as you put it.Happy to hear everyone is very upbeat but in reality,what's the option...sulk and complain?As you mentioned,Alaska is really the destination here and as long as your healthly and able to enjoy it to it's fullest,it sure beats being here at work,I'll tell you that!;)

Keep up the great attitude and enjoy the pizza & calzones...they are the best at sea!

dottie - Was the late show as crowded as the 8:30? We are on the Sun this summer and the shows are a big attraction for me. We have late seating. Would hate to miss one on account of lack of seating. :(

I think you're going to find both the show times to be crowded and I've always found the slower pace of the 2nd. seating makes it difficult to get good seats.I opted to switch to PC dining on our 1/28 cruise and made a standing reservation for 8pm which enabled us to make all the shows we wanted to see.That extra 30 minutes really made a big difference.

No one wants to speed through dinner,especially on formal nights.You'll just have to get creative on how to make the shows...good luck!

We found LESS of a problem finding a seat at the second show. We also found that if you check the patter most shows are given at least once the nexty day too and those shows on the second day are definitely less crowded. The first few shows were the ones that had the most "crowding" problem. Enjoy your cruise in Alaska. It is so beautiful there!

Thanks for all the updates Coral.

How are things going on this sailing. Any new sicknesses? Just seeing how the cleaning went. We all appreciate the reports especially the ones leaving in a week or two.

Yes,just a shameless bump...any new updates...anyone?

This seems to be quite the nasty virus. I hope that they were successful in cleaning and disinfecting the ship. We are so looking forward to our cruises starting Monday.

Cruiserforlife, we want to meet with some of the other passengers at sailaway in Vancouver, where would you suggest for a meeting place for an informal hello?

Carol

This seems to be quite the nasty virus. I hope that they were successful in cleaning and disinfecting the ship. We are so looking forward to our cruises starting Monday.

Cruiserforlife, we want to meet with some of the other passengers at sailaway in Vancouver, where would you suggest for a meeting place for an informal hello?

Carol

Carol,

Do what we did on our cruise..the Riveria Bar near the pool.It's a great place to meet & mingle and is perfect viewing for sailaway.

Have a FANTASTIC cruise and keep us posted on your cruise!

Carol,

We will all wait with baited breath for your updates!

If you have any questions at all regarding the Sun Princess,this is the place to ask them!Everyone here is very well versed on the Sun and I'm sure you'll find an answer for any question you can think of.

I know we'll chat again but let me state again:

"Have a fantastic cruise!":D

Hi All!

I would like to say thanks for all the great info on the sun. I am sooo excited!!! I will be sailing on the same time as Carol. But this is my last post for now. Wedding stuff kicks in big time and will not have time to be online. I will post a full first timer review when I get back. It will not be until after June 4th since I will be going to Vegas on my way back from Anchorage.

Until then....

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED ME PLAN THE BEST HONEYMOON!!!!

Hi All!

I would like to say thanks for all the great info on the sun. I am sooo excited!!! I will be sailing on the same time as Carol. But this is my last post for now. Wedding stuff kicks in big time and will not have time to be online. I will post a full first timer review when I get back. It will not be until after June 4th since I will be going to Vegas on my way back from Anchorage.

Until then....

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED ME PLAN THE BEST HONEYMOON!!!!

Hey manders,

Have a great cruise and congrats again!:D

Look forward to hearing from you when you get back.

CFL

I don't mean to be offensive - but - what is it that keeps this thread going? I'm sure the OP is not still aboard the ship - is he/she? - he/she started this "live" post on Jan 28th.

Ron

P.S. --About the cruise. The entertainment is fantastic! The lead singer (Joe) is the best singer I have seen on a cruise ship. I am usually not a fan of Cruise Directors but Trevor and Brett have been excellent. A great Cruise Director/Senior Asst CD pair. .
:D

That’s my boy!!

Princess did assign me the same cabin for both weeks. I know this isn't always the case but I did get the same cabin. I am doing PC dining so I am not sure about the the same table.

Normally on back to backs, if you’re in Traditional Dining, you get the same table. I even had the same table in Traditional when I had to change cabins on turnaround day.

I don't mean to be offensive - but - what is it that keeps this thread going? I'm sure the OP is not still aboard the ship - is he/she? - he/she started this "live" post on Jan 28th.
It's kinda like tag-team cruising on this one! :) But it is more informative than the conga lines.

Archived