Celebrating a special occasion on board

Hi, I have been watching the message boards with interest and decided to open a cruise critic account today to join in the fun and exciting buildup to our holiday. Cant wait to go .......:)

My family and I are booked on the Dream for 10th August this year. This will be our first cruise and we are celebrating my dads 60th birthday.

Although the cruise is a special event in itself, we would also like to do something to surprise Dad. Is it possible to do some sort of announcement or publish something in Cruise News etc? Any suggestions on how to make the evening meal more special with a surprise of some sort?

Apologies if something like this is posted elsewhere, i'm new to this and still finding my sea legs!! :D

Hi, I have been watching the message boards with interest and decided to open a cruise critic account today to join in the fun and exciting buildup to our holiday. Cant wait to go .......:)

My family and I are booked on the Dream for 10th August this year. This will be our first cruise and we are celebrating my dads 60th birthday.

Although the cruise is a special event in itself, we would also like to do something to surprise Dad. Is it possible to do some sort of announcement or publish something in Cruise News etc? Any suggestions on how to make the evening meal more special with a surprise of some sort?

Apologies if something like this is posted elsewhere, i'm new to this and still finding my sea legs!! :D

There are 'Celebration Packages' you can purchase on board - if you look at the Thomson site and have a look at the 'Extras' it will give you an idea of what's available and the cost. (It's in the brochure too I think). As Dave says, you can have an announcement in the Cruise News and you could always book for a special evening meal in Mistral's (special menu dining room at an additional surcharge - but said to be very good although we've never tried it) and the waiters will serenade your Dad if you ask them. Have a lovely time! :)

I celebrated my 40th birthday last year on the Celebration - my family arranged for a cake to be brought out after the meal and all the waiters came round with guitars, singing etc - it was lovely! You could arrange for a bottle of "bubbly" to be in his cabin on arrival - my husband did that for me which was lovely (although we were on AI, it was nice to share a bottle one evening before we went up for cocktails!!)

You can prebook certain things with Thomson or arrange with the social hostess when you are on board. Announcements in the Cruise News require 24 hours notice - the rest can be arranged at up to 24 hours notice - often very quickly if it is a bottle of bubbly etc - The main restaurant usually has a " stock " of cakes ready so it can be quite spontaneous sometimes and if they find out / are informed the waiters will come over and sing etc - ask the day before to be certain or at lunch time for the evening.

HI wanted to Wave and say hi, hubby and myself are also booked on Dream for 10th Aug:D I am a newbie to the board too, I am sure there is lots to make your dads celebration really special, I have not cruised with Thompson before so are not much help but there are some nice idea`s above and I am sure there will be more from others who have had experiance anyway roll on Aug 10 exciting isnt it from Alli:)

Archived