LAFFNVEGAS LIVE From the NCL Pearl Heading North Up The West Coast

LAFFNVEGAS

Good Morning from rainy Astoria, Oregon.

OK just where is this week going? OMG I cannot believe that today is Wednesday. We actually had no plans for today and thought we might just get off the ship grab a taxi into town and see what we could find but with it pouring rain we may just stay on board the ship have lunch in Cagney’s relax and read.

Sorry about last night, I was downright pooped out. Yesterday was a busy day for a Sea Day. I am not so sure what all I have wrote about the Mojitos may have made things a bit fuzzy.

OK I think I told you I went back to the Spa in the morning, love that place. Even with the Rockin and Rollin we had yesterday morning it was still great. By the time a got cleaned up for the Spa it was time for the Latitudes Party which again was really nice. The said that our party was the second one for the week they had one on Sunday as well because of so many Latitude members on board. After the party we went to the Garden Café aka Lido for HAL people and enjoyed a light lunch. I had chicken noodle soup and a piece roasted chicken and a piece of pizza. That was difference because it had nuts on it. After lunch we went to the shops I was jealous tom purchased a couple of NCL sweat shirts and I wanted some type of logo wear. I was able to find a NCL ladies golf shirt that did fit so purchased that but I am thinking I might buy myself an NCL Sweatshirt as well. I do wish that NCL had better merchandise, they could sell a lot more things with a bit better selection but then HAL often has the same problems.

After shopping we headed back to our cabin which BTW has been called the Satan Suite by our little group and I have been jokingly called Lucifer of which they have been calling me Lucy J I attempted to read but fell asleep. I never ever take naps but somehow cruising is just such hard work ;-)

We (the group) had dinner reservations at Indigo last night at 6:30, this was Tom’s and my first time eating in the non premium restaurant for dinner on an NCL ship. It was OK, one of the things they are trying to do a bit differently for this sailing is to basically have the menu the same every night in both Indigo and Summer Palace with the exception of a recommended choice of the day. This way it might force passengers to try some of the alternative restaurants. Per Denis the Hotel Director each sailing is a bit different, this sailing is a large percentage of those that came on board and are not planning on spending any extra money. Where they have had some sailings that the alternative restaurants are packed. I think from past years they expected this from the Pacific Coastal repositioning cruise. I personally think the best way to really enjoy NCL is to try a different restaurant every night and the extra cost I consider in advance part of the cruise cost.

After dinner we headed to the show called Sea Legs. I know I have mentioned this before but the talent a caliber of the talent and shows in my opinion is definitely far superior to both HAL and Princess. The only thing Princess had was a larger stage over HAL. We never go to the shows on HAL any longer unless Joel Mason is performing. After the show we headed up to the White Hot Party. NCL does a great job of getting people of ALL ages to have fun. Of course their Entertainment Staff under the Cruise Director is much larger but it is truly all about having a good time. As you know we about closed the place down and both Michelle and I danced but not with our husbands instead we got Nick to take us out to the dance floor.

While I am thinking about it that I forgot to mention yesterday when I posted about some differences in HAL to NCL is some of the things found in the Suites. Both line have Elemis Products but there are such things as a nice jar of Bath Salts on the bath tub, a loofa mitt (SP?) the slippers are very nice they make HAL’s look like the flimsy kind you get when you go get a pedicure. Seriously the quality is so far above, same with the robes and the HUGE bath towels. The amenities in the Suite definitely far exceed that of HAL. We have had a tray of goodies brought to us even afternoon, yesterday was chocolate covered strawberries that were amazing. I have to admit NCL definitely knows how to take care of their Suite passengers.

Another thing NCL has the right idea about is with the Future Cruise Consultant and Future Cruise Credit. They do not try to sell you a specific they instead sell you a Future Cruise Deposit. The cost is $250.00 but you get a $100 instant on board credit. The future cruise deposit is good for 4 years and is good for the deposit of the cabin not based on number of passengers. They make it easy and payless to do this. Of course I purchased one ;-)

Another thing that I think NCL does much better is the photos to purchase. They are from the same company that HAL used many years ago. We actually spoke to a gal last night that use to work on the Oosterdam back in 2005 to 2007. The quality of the photos are far superior and I have already taken a peek at some of them and plan to buy a few. I never buy photos any more, as a matter of fact the last photo on a ship I bought was on our 2 day NCL Star I purchased the Embarkation photo because we took our son.

Well I am thinking I have caught you up on where we are for now, it may have stopped raining but still not sure we will go into town yet. Tonight Brad and Nick, Frank and Michelle and myself are going to do the Murder Mystery Dinner which sounds like a lot of fun. Tom is not one to do things like that so he is more than happy to go to Cagney’s by himself.

Signing off from Astoria Oregon on the “Do What Ever” NCL Pearl.

Which suite, Lisa? We were in 9170 on the Pearl in the Caribbean in March and loved it. Our friends were in 9670 and 9672. We absolutely loved everything about the corner suites aft on our deck.

Ryan was also our concierge. He's the greatest. Charlie was our butler, a very nice young man. And Edward was the steward. The three of them pampered us to death and it is because of them that we booked a suite for a Baltics cruise in June 2011 on the Norwegian Sun. We took advantage of the $250 advance booking. Quite a steal, get an instant $100 credit and then your deposit is only $250 not $500 on the next cruise. What's not to like. It is even transferable.

Glad you are having fun. Hope you enjoyed our rainy state yesterday for a few hours. We saw several intense storms here in Portland. You probably got them earlier in the day. Too bad the weather did not cooperate because there is some absolutely gorgeous coastline and small towns just a few miles south of Astoria.

One of the guys in our office knows your captain and was taking him salmon fishing during your stop in Astoria, I think. Maybe the catch will be on your menu. I really like your hotel director, Denis also. He's from Croatia and we are going to visit there in October, probably staying at his wife's rental apartment in Dubrovnik.

Enjoy the Pearl. Beautiful ship. Glad to hear it stacks up well against HAL and others. We have only been on the one cruise and were sold on NCL's flexibility, and the value in their suites compared to other ships.

Thursday April 29, 2010

Good Morning from the Norwegian Pearl in Sunny Victoria British Columbia, CA

I just commented to Tom that one week ago this same week were were on the 2nd week of our Panama Canal cruise on the HAL Statendam. That cruise also ended on May 1st but in San Diego and if you all remember that was also the start of the Swine Flu scare. We actually made it to Acapulco but had to miss Cabo San Lucas.

We are docked here in Victoria in the same berth she is always at when in Victoria. Oddly if I am not mistaken she has always sailed on the Sunday route out of Seattle for Alaska and in 2007 we took the Noordam twice that also left on Sunday and last year in 2009 we were on the Westerdam that also left on Sunday so we were always with the Pearl in Victoria. I have to say that a year ago I would have never guessed that that we would be on an NCL ship. But then a year ago right now I did not quite know that I would be changing careers and would be cruising on other cruise lines.

Last night we did the Murder Mystery which was fun I will not say who did it, but will say the clues led to Brad and the character he portrayed ;) The dinner was held in the back portion of Indigo. While it was fun I think it would have been more fun if they had some of the cast members playing the parts as we watched and guessed at who the Murderer was. I played two parts and it got a bit confusing, I felt like I had a split personality :D

The dinner was actually quite goo for being a limited menu to chose from I had the Sea Food one that had Shrimp Scallops and Mussels with Sashimi for an Appetizer and a wonderful version of Black Forrest cake. We finished the Dinner early at about 6:40 giving us plenty of time to make the early show last night which was Second City Comedy Troupe. They are very laugh out loud funny

After the show we decided to call it an early night and relax in our cabin. I actually had not had much of a chance to really read like I enjoy doing on a cruise. I even figured I would wait till today to write up yesterday’s report. Frank and Michelle headed up to the Thermal Suite (they had left a message on our voice mail to join them) I was already in my P.J.’s and relaxing. I just made my 2nd cup of great coffee and nibbling on strawberries the Juremar left us last night. I love the way that we are being taken care of by Ryan our Concierge and Juremar our Butler. I am so going to miss this. We are really not asking for anything but they are just anticipating everything we could possibly want.

After I post this I plan to go up to the Thermal Suite to relax for a couple of hours, then meet Tom back in the room at Noon to get showered and dressed and head up to Cagney’s at lunch. Then who knows of the weather continues to look as great as it does this morning we may venture into town. Tonight’s dinner the 6 of us are dining in La Cucina then I am sure we will go to the show which is Garden of the Geisha after that it is going to ber a hard choice because tonight there just seems to be so many things going on. Second City is doing a Scriptless show at 8PM which I am afraid we may miss but we shall see, then at 10:15 is an Encore performance of Oh What A Night, then I still want to go Bliss tonight is Party with a Geisha (Top 40 night) so that could be fun. So it could definitely be a very busy evening. Plus I have not had a chance to bowl :eek:

Well I better get this posted, I so wish we were doing the next day Alaska sailing that is an 8 day cruise that ends in Seattle. Some how I think my boss would not be too happy;)

Signing off from the Beautiful Norwegian Pearl in Victoria, B.C.

Thursday April 29, 2010

Good Morning from the Norwegian Pearl in Sunny Victoria British Columbia, CA

I just commented to Tom that one week ago this same week were were on the 2nd week of our Panama Canal cruise on the HAL Statendam. That cruise also ended on May 1st but in San Diego and if you all remember that was also the start of the Swine Flu scare. We actually made it to Acapulco but had to miss Cabo San Lucas.

We are docked here in Victoria in the same berth she is always at when in Victoria. Oddly if I am not mistaken she has always sailed on the Sunday route out of Seattle for Alaska and in 2007 we took the Noordam twice that also left on Sunday and last year in 2009 we were on the Westerdam that also left on Sunday so we were always with the Pearl in Victoria. I have to say that a year ago I would have never guessed that that we would be on an NCL ship. But then a year ago right now I did not quite know that I would be changing careers and would be cruising on other cruise lines.

Last night we did the Murder Mystery which was fun I will not say who did it, but will say the clues led to Brad and the character he portrayed ;) The dinner was held in the back portion of Indigo. While it was fun I think it would have been more fun if they had some of the cast members playing the parts as we watched and guessed at who the Murderer was. I played two parts and it got a bit confusing, I felt like I had a split personality :D

The dinner was actually quite goo for being a limited menu to chose from I had the Sea Food one that had Shrimp Scallops and Mussels with Sashimi for an Appetizer and a wonderful version of Black Forrest cake. We finished the Dinner early at about 6:40 giving us plenty of time to make the early show last night which was Second City Comedy Troupe. They are very laugh out loud funny

After the show we decided to call it an early night and relax in our cabin. I actually had not had much of a chance to really read like I enjoy doing on a cruise. I even figured I would wait till today to write up yesterday’s report. Frank and Michelle headed up to the Thermal Suite (they had left a message on our voice mail to join them) I was already in my P.J.’s and relaxing. I just made my 2nd cup of great coffee and nibbling on strawberries the Juremar left us last night. I love the way that we are being taken care of by Ryan our Concierge and Juremar our Butler. I am so going to miss this. We are really not asking for anything but they are just anticipating everything we could possibly want.

After I post this I plan to go up to the Thermal Suite to relax for a couple of hours, then meet Tom back in the room at Noon to get showered and dressed and head up to Cagney’s at lunch. Then who knows of the weather continues to look as great as it does this morning we may venture into town. Tonight’s dinner the 6 of us are dining in La Cucina then I am sure we will go to the show which is Garden of the Geisha after that it is going to ber a hard choice because tonight there just seems to be so many things going on. Second City is doing a Scriptless show at 8PM which I am afraid we may miss but we shall see, then at 10:15 is an Encore performance of Oh What A Night, then I still want to go Bliss tonight is Party with a Geisha (Top 40 night) so that could be fun. So it could definitely be a very busy evening. Plus I have not had a chance to bowl :eek:

Well I better get this posted, I so wish we were doing the next day Alaska sailing that is an 8 day cruise that ends in Seattle. Some how I think my boss would not be too happy;)

Signing off from the Beautiful Norwegian Pearl in Victoria, B.C.

Love reading your posts. We are on the Pearl starting May 16th to Alaska!!!

Thia Live From the Pearl thread is wonderful. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for all of us. I'm not on the Pearl until January, but am soaking up all the info and atmosphere you provide.

You mentioned liking to read on a cruise. What type of books do you enjoy? I'm a mystery and romance reader (and writer--my twelfth mystery, Murder of a Wedding Belle, just debuted #25 on the New York Times bestseller list)

Best,

Thursday Afternoon April 29th, 2010

But I do not want to get off the ship L

They have given us our Disembarkation forms, I really do not want this week to end. It really has been wonderful cruising week but hey I still have two nights to enjoy the Pearl.

After I last wrote I headed up to the Thermal Suite…aahhhh talk about perfection. I was the only person in there from most of the two hours I spent there and the view was breath taking. As I walked into the relaxation area I just stood there taking in the view and wishing I had brought my camera up there with me. The way the sun was shining on the ocean and landscape of the view over looking the bow it was amazing. I had what we would see in a beautiful day in Sitka AK with out heading that far North. I would go up there now but since the sun is in a different direction not sure it would look the same as it did earlier. After spending some very quiet relaxing time in the Thermal Suite I headed back to the cabin where Tom was sitting out on the balcony reading, yes he had his sweat shirt on but there was no wind and the sun was shining brightly on the balcony giving it lots of warmth. It was not the least bit windy but by looking at the flags below we could tell it was very windy. I showered and got dressed, each day I discover another great feature I love about NCL and our Suite. The thing today is there is a light in the ceiling of the shower/tub that is the one thing it always seems so dark once you close the curtains in a HAL shower in the suites unless you use the small separate glassed in shower but I prefer the tub where there is more room.

After I got ready we headed up to Cagney’s for lunch at about 1pm, it was quiet up there today but we enjoyed a relaxing lunch. I had those great Crab Cakes again and this time tried the Sliders with the Cagney’s fries. Tom had the NY Steak. Having Cagney’s open to the Suite Guests for breakfast and lunch is a very special perk. The menu offered for both breakfast lunch is definitely better than what HAL offers for breakfast only in the Pinnacle. Another thing I have not mentioned is the coffee all over the ship is really excellent as well as the ice tea.

After lunch we thought we would walk around outside the ship decks and we found it was down right freezing cold and windy so we headed down to our cabin to grab our coats. We did get off the ship for a short while and went over to that little shop at the pier. We picked out a Victoria T shirt for our son and I purchased a fridge magnet that matches the coffee mug I bought last year. It has a picture of the Pearl, the Star Princess and HAL Noordam that was taken on a Saturday night from summer of 2007. We then headed back to the ship, but we stopped first to talk to the guy that sells newspapers around the corner. Our friend Julie who for many years had worked on the various Shops on board the Holland America ships would always stop to talk to him and buy a British newspaper. Because she is now working on P & O and working on a ship doing the Baltic this will be her first year for many years that she is not doing Alaska so we said hello to him for her and told him he will not see her this year. (Julie if you are reading this he knew right away who you were and pointed to the newpaper you always bought. He seemed a bit sad when I told him you would not be here this year.)

We are now back relaxing in the cabin, there are just too darn many things I want to do tonight. I do really want to check out the Chocoholic Buffet and then there are shows and lounges we must hit. I have also asked Ryan if he could take us up to see the Court Yard of the Villas, I know he cannot show us any of the Suites since people are occupying them but I just want to see the Villa area.He had said he could take us up there after dinner.

I see several busses starting to return and it is almost 4 with All Aboard being 4:30.

Well I guess that is all for right now, I sure envy those that will be boarding the Pearl Saturday.

Signing off from the Beautiful NCL Pearl in Sunny Cold Victoria, BC

Thia Live From the Pearl thread is wonderful. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for all of us. I'm not on the Pearl until January, but am soaking up all the info and atmosphere you provide.

You mentioned liking to read on a cruise. What type of books do you enjoy? I'm a mystery and romance reader (and writer--my twelfth mystery, Murder of a Wedding Belle, just debuted #25 on the New York Times bestseller list)

Best,

I read a little bit of everything, I love The Plum Series of Janet Evanovich (cannot wait for the next one that will be out soon) but I am caught up with all of hers as well as I love James Patterson Women's Murder Mystery series (the next one of that should be out soon as well). I also read Sue Grafton of which I did bring "U" with me but have not started yet but just about to finish Stephhanie Bond 5 Bodies to Die For.

That is great you are a writer looks like I have a new Author/books to check out, they definitely sound like my type of reading. Thanks so much:)

That's for an enlightening and entertaining week Lisa! About 14 hrs from now I begin my journey to Vancouver. Friday night there and Saturday morning I'll wave to you as you disembark the ship and I embark!

This will be my 3rd trip on the Pearl in almost exactly one year. Life is good!

Have a great cruise Lisa, I will catch up with your report when I get back. We loved the seven day we took last year on the Princess Sapphire doing the repo from LA to Vancouver. Was nice slowly cruising up the coast. Very port intensive. Wish Hal would start doing seven days.

I'm very interested in what you think about NCL.

I would also be very interested in your opinion of NCL. Going on the Sapphire Princess in less than 48 hours now! A little slice of paradise! Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

Lisa-everytime I read one of your posta I am tempted to book the Gem or Jewel that leaves out of NY in Feb. Would have to cancel Noordam in March, but I guess that is the price HAL is going to have to start paying for pulling the Noordam out of NY. We are looking at the same suite you are in. Waiting for your final comparison review to make the decision.

Lisa, your concierge can arrange to get you in the Choc. Buffet early, hope you did that. Those things tend to be a real zoo. The buffet was ok, not outstanding. My mom and I actually found the little pecan crust chocolate bars the tastiest.

Also, I usually try to see some of the suites on disembarkation day. If you have time maybe Ryan can show you then?

Or maybe in Cagney's you can ask some other guests you have been chatting with if they are in a villa and ask if you can see it. My mom and I had met two nice gents at our pre-cruise hotel who had us up to their villa for lunch. All it took was one look and I knew... :)

Lisa - adding my thanks for your outstanding reviews.

If possible - perhaps you could get a peek at a handicap

accessible full suite ? Like you, we have been

long-time HAL cruisers. But your reviews have us

thinking about trying NCL. Want and prefer all and

more of the HAL full suite perks..... Thank you.

Safe travels.......

Friday April 30th, 2010

Greetings from Nanaimo, B.C. Canada aboard the Beautiful Norwegian Pearl.

The Pearl has certainly been our Home Away from Home except maybe a tad bit better ;) Today is a beautiful day with plenty of sunshine. It is not windy and there a just a few clouds in the sky. They claim the high was only to be 51F/11C but at 11:30 AM I am guessing that it s at least 60F already. We actually woke a bit early because we could hear the announcements at about 7:30. Nanaimo is a tender port and with the little islands surrounding it, it reminds me a bit of Sitka with the exception of a nice size city that looks quite modern.

Well let me go back to yesterday where I left off. We had dinner reservations at 6:30 at La Cucina during which time the Captain had announced that we would be scenic sailing in the Inside Passage for the evening. The windows in La Cucina maded it nice to watch as we sailed, we kep hoping we would see whales but did not. As soon as we were seated we were immediately greated by Ignasio (I am so sorry if I am spelling his name wrong) Ignasio is relatively new to NCL and he is the Executive Chef of all of the Speciality Restaurants. He has been taking very good care of us and come to find out last night prior to March of this year when he came on board the NCL Pearl he had been the Executive Chef of the Pinnacle Grill on the Oosterdam, Amsterdam and the Maasdam. We have plenty of mutual friends. Dinner was great and like most Italian Restaurants took up a couple of hours to dine. It was getting close to 9 PM for the late show and both Brad and Nick and Frank and Michelle wanted to go to the late show of Garden of the Geisha. I also wanted to see it but Tom also wanted to go to the beginning of the Chocoholic Buffet which started at 9PM for the VIP for the Suite to be able to go in and take pictures. We also wanted to be able to get the chance to go up to the Court yard of the Villas. So shortly after 9 Ryan took us up to deck 14 mid ship. WOW I was impressed, so impressed even though I was carrying around my camera around my neck I totally forgot to take pictures :o I had come close a few weeks before the sailing to move us up to the smaller of the Court Yard Villas 14014 but to be truthful We both love the aft and the wake of the ship and I was not sure what the seas would be like for this Coastal and being up that much higher was just a little bit concerned and thought better to stay where we are because we know what to expect in rough seas on the aft. Well the seas have actually be relatively calm with the exception of the night before Astoria and that morning coming into Astoria but while I did hear several complain I thought it was great. But back to the Courtyard…. The Dome over it was closed but the Swim Spa looked inviting. It is nice that they even have a little room with exercise equipment. I can see where this would be perfect for sailing in Alaska because they also have their own private sun deck which to be would be great for viewing the glaciers at Glacier Bay National. Ryan told us that they serve breakfast times up there in the morning in this area. There were tables all around with several cabana type of lounge chairs. This truly looks like the height of luxury.

After our little tour we headed back down to deck 12 where we view the desserts. OK here is another plus for NCL over HAL. This was set up very nicely with a much larger variety of chocolate deserts that were actually very good. There was even Chocolate Sushi ;) In recent years I have felt that Hal’s deserts have been just OK not great but just OK (this is actually one of the few areas Princess was good they did have excellent deserts) NCL I think is equal to Princess with having very good deserts, the chocolate is not nearly as waxy as HAL’s tends to be. Most of us had the Tiramasu last lnight at La Cucina and that was excellent. Especially with a little Sambuco.

After eating our 2nd desert for the night we thought we would walk around the ship a bit. There actually was so many things going on…..finally a ship with so many things happening what do we do we go the shops and I purchase a NCL Pearl Sweatshirt. We then end up going back to the cabin to read before falling asleep. I really need another week on this cruise lol

This morning as I mentioned we woke up fairly early and went up to Cagney’s for breakfast then grabbed a tender at about 9:30 and headed into town. Nanaimo, is a quaint little city that is actually modern mix with the great outdoors and a touch of electic. Greeting us were the Canadian Mounties so Tom a picture of me with them, then we were talking with one of the greaters about things to do and she says and there is our Mayor. Well we introduced ourselves and actually had a nice chat with him, his family also owns a Travel Agency in town so we discussed travel and the economy and he said they here in Nanaimo they were not nearly as effected as other areas. After walking around a small flea market and walking several blocks of downtown we decided that we would just head back to the ship at about 11:30 It is now almost 12:30 and ……..I hear something…..Oh yes that is the Thermal Suite in the Spa calling me to come up there one last time. So that is where I am now headed.

We still have to pack and fill out our immigration forms :( then tonight is Cagney’s for our one last meal together. I am sure I will be back in here a few more times and most likely with a wrap up while waiting at the Vancouver Airport for our flight.

Signing off from the Beautiful Norwegian Pearl in Nanaimo, B.C. Canada :)

Best,

Is it available for Kindle?

Lisa...

I have been following along all week and glad to hear you are having such a fabulous time! I hope you had at least one mojito or margarita for me! :D

Sounds like you might be a convert from HAL to NCL!!! :eek:

Enjoy your last day on the aft!!! xoxo...

IMG_4004_3_1.jpg

Thursday Afternoon April 29th, 2010

But I do not want to get off the ship L

They have given us our Disembarkation forms, I really do not want this week to end. It really has been wonderful cruising week but hey I still have two nights to enjoy the Pearl.

After I last wrote I headed up to the Thermal Suite…aahhhh talk about perfection. I was the only person in there from most of the two hours I spent there and the view was breath taking. As I walked into the relaxation area I just stood there taking in the view and wishing I had brought my camera up there with me. The way the sun was shining on the ocean and landscape of the view over looking the bow it was amazing. I had what we would see in a beautiful day in Sitka AK with out heading that far North. I would go up there now but since the sun is in a different direction not sure it would look the same as it did earlier. After spending some very quiet relaxing time in the Thermal Suite I headed back to the cabin where Tom was sitting out on the balcony reading, yes he had his sweat shirt on but there was no wind and the sun was shining brightly on the balcony giving it lots of warmth. It was not the least bit windy but by looking at the flags below we could tell it was very windy. I showered and got dressed, each day I discover another great feature I love about NCL and our Suite. The thing today is there is a light in the ceiling of the shower/tub that is the one thing it always seems so dark once you close the curtains in a HAL shower in the suites unless you use the small separate glassed in shower but I prefer the tub where there is more room.

After I got ready we headed up to Cagney’s for lunch at about 1pm, it was quiet up there today but we enjoyed a relaxing lunch. I had those great Crab Cakes again and this time tried the Sliders with the Cagney’s fries. Tom had the NY Steak. Having Cagney’s open to the Suite Guests for breakfast and lunch is a very special perk. The menu offered for both breakfast lunch is definitely better than what HAL offers for breakfast only in the Pinnacle. Another thing I have not mentioned is the coffee all over the ship is really excellent as well as the ice tea.

After lunch we thought we would walk around outside the ship decks and we found it was down right freezing cold and windy so we headed down to our cabin to grab our coats. We did get off the ship for a short while and went over to that little shop at the pier. We picked out a Victoria T shirt for our son and I purchased a fridge magnet that matches the coffee mug I bought last year. It has a picture of the Pearl, the Star Princess and HAL Noordam that was taken on a Saturday night from summer of 2007. We then headed back to the ship, but we stopped first to talk to the guy that sells newspapers around the corner. Our friend Julie who for many years had worked on the various Shops on board the Holland America ships would always stop to talk to him and buy a British newspaper. Because she is now working on P & O and working on a ship doing the Baltic this will be her first year for many years that she is not doing Alaska so we said hello to him for her and told him he will not see her this year. (Julie if you are reading this he knew right away who you were and pointed to the newpaper you always bought. He seemed a bit sad when I told him you would not be here this year.)

We are now back relaxing in the cabin, there are just too darn many things I want to do tonight. I do really want to check out the Chocoholic Buffet and then there are shows and lounges we must hit. I have also asked Ryan if he could take us up to see the Court Yard of the Villas, I know he cannot show us any of the Suites since people are occupying them but I just want to see the Villa area.He had said he could take us up there after dinner.

I see several busses starting to return and it is almost 4 with All Aboard being 4:30.

Well I guess that is all for right now, I sure envy those that will be boarding the Pearl Saturday.

Signing off from the Beautiful NCL Pearl in Sunny Cold Victoria, BC

If you have time to wait, ask if you can tour the Garden Villa on disembarkion day. You may get to after the occupiants have left. My husband and I asked and we got to tour the Garden Villa on the Jewel. It was probably around 9:30 when we were escorted up, and well worth the wait. (We like getting off the boat early) Wow, if I could just win the lotto:D

What a great cruise! Wish I had gone along. You could have hid me in the bathroom or someplace. Oh well. I love the coastal cruises, and am glad NCL has upgraded from the ships I was on. I did love my 2 week cruise on the Star around the Caribbean - and the cruise around the Horn on the Crown - too bad she is back in Asia. Lovely small ship.

Anyway, I want to go, and I want a suite. I won't settle for anything less - ha.

Have a lovely end to the cruise and a safe trip home. Take care.

It's been fun reading about your trip. It sounds like they did more than just cruise from LA to Vancouver.

We did the Pearl 1 1/2 years ago from Seattle to Miami in your room (10666) and absolutely LOVED it.

Thanks for the review.

Friday April 30th, 2010

Good Evening from the Norweigian Pearl,

It is a bit of a sad evening on the Pearl this evening because our 7 day Coastal Repositioning cruise is coming to an end.

We had yet another great evening with the final being in Cagney’s Unfortunately Frank and Michelle had to cancel for dinner so it was Brad and Nick and Tom and I. We had a great final dinner with many thanks to Denis the Hotel Director, Ignacio the Excutive Chef of the Speciality Restaurants, the crew/servers in Cagney’s, Ryan our Concierge and Juremar our Butler and of course the Captain who’s big smile and humor was great all week.

After dinner tonight I went down and did something I have not done in I cannot tell you how many cruises but we actually purchased photos. Not a lot just two but we also purchased the folder frames with the photo of the ship along side. One to have at home and one for my office. Then we spend some time have a drink in Bliss with Brad and Nick. It was Toga night but since it was freezing in there I used it to wrap myself up like a mummy to keep warm.

Because I am tired I will close for tonight. Hopefully in the next day or two I will try to put together some final thought. I think it will be pretty obvious what my final thoughts are.

In all honesty I found NCL Suite like to be perfect and several steps way above Suite life on Holland America. I thought the Pearl’s Spa/Thermal Suite again is also much better than HAL’s the only improvement that I would like to see happen is extra steps for those of us that are vertically challenged;). What I mean by this is to make it easier to get into the Whirlpools in all areas by possibly adding some additional steps to get in and out of them. Other than that the Thermal Suite is perfect.

I just want to thank ALL of the Officers and Crew that made our week so great send them a very Special Thank You.

Sadly for the last time.… :( Signing off from the Beautiful Norwegian Pear

Archived