BW52 & KW09 Do I need ot be in the kayak with the teens?

lkdry

I was looking into booking a kayaking tour with my two teens ages 14 & 15. I emailed RCCL about any restrictions since one of these tours said kids 6-16 had to be accompanied by an adult. No problem, but then I was told I had to be IN the kayak with the kids....two person kayak, three people...you see the problem. Is that true? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't let a teenager go alone in a kayak.

I was looking into booking a kayaking tour with my two teens ages 14 & 15. I emailed RCCL about any restrictions since one of these tours said kids 6-16 had to be accompanied by an adult. No problem, but then I was told I had to be IN the kayak with the kids....two person kayak, three people...you see the problem. Is that true? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't let a teenager go alone in a kayak.

The kayak companies in Key West require it. They require children be accompanied by an adult in every kayak.

This is a link to one of the most widely used companies here in Key West. At the bottom of the page is the age requirement. For them, it 9 and up, and all children have to be accompanied.

http://www.lazydog.com/lazy_dog_kayaking.php

The impression I got from RCCL is that the adult had to be a 'parent' so I assuming they wouldn't allow a teen to be paired with another random adult.

If that is the rule I am fine with it, however, the brochure does not state these restrictions and could cause alot of problems for people once they got to the excursion and found they couldn't go.

Lazy Dog's web site seems to be down this morning, I would just call and ask them about pairing with another adult. They are nice folks and have been in business many years in Key West. (305) 295- 9898

Mike:)

FWIW

On the kayak trips offered by Danger or Sebago, they will try to pair up a single passenger with an odd person from a group of 3, 5, etc. If they can't pair you up and you do not want to go alone, a crew member will accompany you in the kayak.

On these trips there is no requirement to have a child go with a parent and I've seen two relatively younge teenagers go in their own kayak , and if you request it, you can try going on your own. A sinlge person will invariably stay close to the other kayaks so there is rarely a problem. The concern is usually with someone becoming tired when alone, especially if there is a wind blowing in any direction.

Net is +1 on the advice to call or email to see what restrictions there are with this particular activity.

Pjk

Hi,

I'm the tour operator for KW90 Nature Kayak Tour. The age restrictions and parent in a kayak with a child refer to really young children. Teenagers are welcome to go in a kayak by themselves. Where we go is mostly protected from the wind. If the conditions are exceptionally windy, we'll give you the chance to opt out of the tour with refund when we meet you on the pier. Children under 8 are not allowed on the tour.

Archived