Interactive Preview/Review of Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean May 2 to 9, 2010

7x5090g

As if a small suitcase could ever be enough for DW's packing!! :rolleyes:

Oasis certainly is a monster alongside the other ships.

Have a brilliant cruise. Are you going to watch the scareyplanes over the beach at St. Maartens? :)

What are the scareyplanes?

I'm loving the preview!!! Monster indeed!

By the way u2cruiser, I spent 2 years in Sheffield 1982-1984 before coming over to Canada. How's Sheffield these days?

Small World!

Sheffield city centre is quite run down these days since a large out of town shopping mall opened 10 years ago. It is currently having some cosmetic surgery so things should improve. It has a first class university.

We live quite a way from the city, in the rural Pennine district.

You will have a great time on the Emerald. Such a nice atmosphere onboard. :)

What are the scareyplanes?

I'm loving the preview!!! Monster indeed!

You can go to a beach on St Maarten which is right at the beginning of the runway. The planes sure look scary as they almost touch down on the beach over people's heads :eek:

Small World!

Sheffield city centre is quite run down these days since a large out of town shopping mall opened 10 years ago. It is currently having some cosmetic surgery so things should improve. It has a first class university.

We live quite a way from the city, in the rural Pennine district.

You will have a great time on the Emerald. Such a nice atmosphere onboard. :)

I was in a small village called Spinkhill, which is actually closer to Chesterfield than Sheffield.

GREAT! (Why am I not surprised :D)

I want to go there. Any big planes due in whilst you're there? Please take pics and post them in your review.

I actually printed a time table for the day I will be there (May 5) and looks like the big jet I'd be looking for is the one from Paris (Air France A340). Since the beginning of May, KLM and Corsair (both fly B747) don't fly there on Wednesdays anymore.

ArrivalSchedule.jpg

I've never heard of Spinkhill until today :o

That looks like a busy air schedule. I didn't expect so many flights in one day. Should be an exciting day at the beach. Hang on to your hat and don't take too many risks getting a good picture for your CC review :cool:

Yep I even printed out the arrival schedule for planes on May 5.

Great idea. Do you have the link.... or suggest where to go to find the flight schedule?

I'll be in St. Marten May 19th on the Emerald. (I *think* it's the 19th when we stop in St. Marten.)

thanks for your help.

Great thread can't wait for the main part.

BTW my Husband came from Sheffield. 15 years since we visited.

Yeah, hope 7x5090g realises we'll all be waiting with baited breath :D

Bet your husband doesn't miss the Sheffield weather.

Great idea. Do you have the link.... or suggest where to go to find the flight schedule?

I'll be in St. Marten May 19th on the Emerald. (I *think* it's the 19th when we stop in St. Marten.)

thanks for your help.

The link to the airport site is: http://www.pjiae.com/

I have attached the full schedule here.

Princess Juliana Airport Schedule.pdf

Thank you. I did Google Spinkhill earlier. That is a beautiful building. Derbyshire is a stunning area. My daughter went to Nottingham University.

oops! We are derailing your very own thread :eek:

Thank you. I did Google Spinkhill earlier. That is a beautiful building. Derbyshire is a stunning area. My daughter went to Nottingham University.

oops! We are derailing your very own thread :eek:

Alrighty then let's just take a look at this stunning picture of the Emerald below...

Emerald_P-08_NJ-bg.jpg

Good morning all yet another sleep has come and gone. I spent most of last night packing and re-packing to make sure weight is property distributed among the 3 suit cases I am allowed to check in for free with Air Canada. Back in 2006 I could not remember having to do this when we spent 11 nights on board HAL Noordam + 3 nights in NYC/Boston. Well at the time we were allowed 2 free checked bags 50lbs each so I supposed that made a huge difference.

One thing I just found out - the weight of just ONE of my suits+shirt/tie is equivalent to 2 evening gowns + 3 days worth of T shirts + swim wear for DW. And that same weight equals to half of my 6 yo's clothes for the week!!! One of my bags was a little over so I took out a few of my t shirts and one dress shirt and that dropped the weight of my bag by 4 lbs!! I am 6 ft 2 at 180 lbs so really I wouldn't have thought my clothes would weigh that much:confused:! You should have seen me last night with my clothes and the digital bathroom scale. It's like a mad science project. And just when I thought I was done, DW calmly reminded me that I ought to leave some room for her shopping as she wants to head over to Sawgrass Mills on Sat after we arrive at FLL...........sigh.....more stuff came out (not allowed to touch my son's sand toys or face the consequences....). STRESS is building.:eek:

2 more days at the office........:rolleyes:

BTW 1 question. Can someone who has been on the Emerald comment on the pool/hottubs that are either on the Emerald or Dolphin deck up in the bow of the ship below the bridge? I keep seeing it in the pictures but they don't show up on any deck plans. Do they exist and are they reserved for exclusive use by elite members?

EmeraldBowpool.jpg

Good morning all yet another sleep has come and gone. I spent most of last night packing and re-packing to make sure weight is property distributed among the 3 suit cases I am allowed to check in for free with Air Canada. Back in 2006 I could not remember having to do this when we spent 11 nights on board HAL Noordam + 3 nights in NYC/Boston. Well at the time we were allowed 2 free checked bags 50lbs each so I supposed that made a huge difference.

One thing I just found out - the weight of just ONE of my suits+shirt/tie is equivalent to 2 evening gowns + 3 days worth of T shirts + swim wear for DW. And that same weight equals to half of my 6 yo's clothes for the week!!! One of my bags was a little over so I took out a few of my t shirts and one dress shirt and that dropped the weight of my bag by 4 lbs!! I am 6 ft 2 at 180 lbs so really I wouldn't have thought my clothes would weigh that much:confused:! You should have seen me last night with my clothes and the digital bathroom scale. It's like a mad science project. And just when I thought I was done, DW calmly reminded me that I ought to leave some room for her shopping as she wants to head over to Sawgrass Mills on Sat after we arrive at FLL...........sigh.....more stuff came out (not allowed to touch my son's sand toys or face the consequences....). STRESS is building.:eek:

2 more days at the office........:rolleyes:

BTW 1 question. Can someone who has been on the Emerald comment on the pool/hottubs that are either on the Emerald or Dolphin deck up in the bow of the ship below the bridge? I keep seeing it in the pictures but they don't show up on any deck plans. Do they exist and are they reserved for exclusive use by elite members?

EmeraldBowpool.jpg

LOL!!!

I can see you will need to iron all your clothes as soon as you board; they have been in and out of the case so many times :eek:. Are you preparing a spread sheet with all these pre cruise facts?

I think that is the crew's pool deck. Not accessible to passengers, but I could be mistaken.

... Are you preparing a spread sheet with all these pre cruise facts?...

Not really. I may be OCD but not quite that extreme. But if I were, it would be a complete list of totally useless facts :D:D:D

Well folks, it has come down to this final work day and yes I am all set for this cruise. My flight leaves for FLL first thing tomorrow and we plan to stay in a hotel near the airport (Best Western FLL airport South) and will tour around in a rental car for the day. Shopping is one of the (heck it may be the only) item on the itinerary tomorrow besides the travelling part. I have already checked-in online and boarding passes have been printed.

I will likely not have time tonight to post any more replies on this thread so the next time you will hear from me will be the evening of May 9 when I returned from my trip. A detailed review will follow.

For those of you interested, I have summarized the URL for all the webcams that you can keep taps on my whereabouts throughout next week. Enjoy and you WILL be hearing from me,

AND

GrandTurkWebcam.jpg

If I don’t get a chance to come back to this thread before I leave, I will be responding to this thread a week Sunday.

Adios…….

Well folks, it has come down to this final work day and yes I am all set for this cruise. My flight leaves for FLL first thing tomorrow and we plan to stay in a hotel near the airport (Best Western FLL airport South) and will tour around in a rental car for the day. Shopping is one of the (heck it may be the only) item on the itinerary tomorrow besides the travelling part. I have already checked-in online and boarding passes have been printed.

I will likely not have time tonight to post any more replies on this thread so the next time you will hear from me will be the evening of May 9 when I returned from my trip. A detailed review will follow.

For those of you interested, I have summarized the URL for all the webcams that you can keep taps on my whereabouts throughout next week. Enjoy and you WILL be hearing from me,

AND

If I don’t get a chance to come back to this thread before I leave, I will be responding to this thread a week Sunday.

Adios…….

SORRY the URL links are bad. Let me try again

AND

Archived