Anyone back from Bermuda and the Dawn

jdarch

Oh my, I really need to hear about your cruise and my favorite place to go....Bermuda. I know you are all tired and getting back in the groove, but, please give me a little info on your cruise..I'm really counting it down here.:D

We just got back today and you are right, I am tired:( I really wish this cruise could have lasted two more days. We were a family of five and it was spring vacation so there were plenty of kids on board, but we never saw anyone being naughty. My kids had a blast, especially my teen daughter who made lots of new friends.We had smooth seas on the way down but some rough going on the way home. Bermuda was nice, not hot but we did do the beaches. Snorkel Park is right near the boat, but the day we went, the wind was so strong that we felt like we were being sand blasted. Water was still cold but we still went in. We did one NCL cruise excursion, although we usually just go on our own, but it was lots of fun, we did the caves and aquarum tour which I think was about four hours long. Kids really enjoyed this.

We had never been on the Dawn before but really liked her. For the most part the crew was very nice, but we never did meet our cabin steward. The entertainment was great all around. Don't miss Bernie Martini, this guy can really sing and play the piano. If you want to see Jose and Patty shows, make sure you are there about 45 minutes early or you will never get a seat. Bollywood and Band on the Run were our favorite shows at night.

I will eventually post a review of the trip but already miss being there so that will give you an idea of the time we had. If you have any questions I will try my bsst to answer them for you.

Glad to see we aren't the only tired ones, Linda;)! However, it's back to work tomorrow:(. We too had a wonderful experience this past week aboard the Dawn. Our party of 5 found the staff to be extremely friendly and professional. The theater performances were great-- I saw all but Band on the Run (a little too much fun at the pub crawl that afternoon). We found more nightlife than we had on any of our previous cruises. Unfortunately it seems that I can't to go all day and night like I used to, so we missed out on some of the late night events. Those we spoke with said they were dancing and singing into the early morning. My DH and I ate all of our meals at the paid restaurants, so I can't personally speak for the Venetian or Aqua. However, the rest of our party truly enjoyed the dinner and breakfast they ate in the Venetian. Our favorite meals were at Teppanyaki, Le Bistro and Cagney's.

We absolutely loved Bermuda and could have spent a few more days exploring the island. Enjoyed the caves and the aquarium/zoo. We made our way to Horseshoe Bay, but the water was a bit too cold for us. We saw Portuguese man-of-war all along the shoreline and I think they were keeping most people out of the water. Enjoyed some rum swizzle's at the Swizzle Inn and lunch at Frog and Onion Pub. We would highly recommend the three day bus/ferry pass. We found this to be a safe and convenient way to navigate our way around the island.

I too plan on publishing a full review sometime this week or next. Enjoy your cruise--we would go again in a heartbeat!!:D

Thank you so much for answering my pleading post. I am sooooo looking forward to this cruise. I know you are tired and have tons to do...so again...thanks and I'm glad you had a great time.;)

There were 2 for 1 martini specials in the Star Bar from 8:30 til 10pm, I am not sure but I think every night. They did do the Margarita tasting, beer tasting, pub crawls, etc

I don't remember all the movies playing but know they had Alvin and the Chipmunks, the squeakuel, Blind Side, New Moon, The Cirque du Freak the vampire stories(or something like that) and I think 2012. I know there are other movies but I can't think of them. Most of these movies also played in the rooms.

I leave Sunday on the Dawn.

Would LOVE to hear a quick run down of what you did in the ports. How the bus/ferry system worked and what you would suggest to be best to do and how to get there. PLEASE :)

Any tips much appreciated.

Hi Judy. Hope that you have a wonderful time on your cruise. We had an amazing time and are in withdrawals!!

We purchased a three day bus/ferry pass right at the terminal. We waited no more than a few minutes, just be sure to bring cash. They were out of bus schedules at the terminal first thing in the morning, but luckily we had grabbed one onboard the previous day. We found it to be quickest to take the ferry into Hamilton and then walk several blocks up to the bus station to access bus service to other parts of the island (Fantasy/Crystal caves, Aquarium/Zoo, Horseshoe Bay, etc.). The bus routes we used most were 10, 11 and 3. The ferry rides to Hamilton were approximately 20 mins. while others we met up with said the bus ride was approximately 45 mins.

We loved the caves and exploring Hamilton. We did not purchase any excursions onboard, but another couple we became friendly with did the Hartley Helmet Dive and said it was amazing. I questioned the water temperature, but they said they were given wetsuits.

Hope this helps--have a great cruise!

The water was cold, but we are used to Maine sea water. My guess is in the 68-70 range. We did go in though and we weren't the only ones!!!

We also took the ferry from Dockyard to St George's-the ferry leaves right around the corner from the dock where the ship is, so very convenient. In St George we walked to Fort St Catherine for the tour. From there we went to Tobacco Bay to lay in the sun and swim. Bring your snorkel stuff as there are lots of fish here also. My kids were so excited to see the different color fish. Make sure you wear your bathing suit if you go because the facilites are being renovated. After a couple of hours here we walked back towards town, stopping at the Unfinished Church. We grabbed a late lunch at the White Horse Restaurant and then toured the Perfume Factory. We then shopped around and enjoyed the square before taking the 6 pm ferry right back to the boat. Most stores closed at 5 pm.

As Kate mentioned, the transportation is soooo easy and inexpensive, but they only take cash. Hamilton is nice, but very commercialized, lots of high end stores, but seems to be the mid point for most bus routes to other parts of the island. We did a ship tour to the caves and aquarium/zoo only because we thought it might be easier with 3 kids. Our driver gave us lots of information on the island, and stopped along the way at different beaches so we could take some pictures. We did pay the price for this at $100 for adults and $60 for kids but for the convenience to us it was worth it. After the tour we were dropped in Hamilton for the afternoon on our own. Our original intentions were to then go to Horseshoe Bay by bus from Hamilton but everyone told us this day you couldn't swim because of the jelly fish and Portuguese Man O Wars, and the skiis were also getting very dark. Once again we just took the ferry back to Dockyard. word of advice, bring a sweater/jacket for the ferry-if you sit outside it is cold with the breeze.

Dockyard is nice also. snorkel park is right around the way from the Ship and is free. It doesn't open until 10 am so no need to rush over there like we did. The beach is small but clean and although I didn't snorkel others said there were tons of fish. My friend took her daughter to the Dolphin Quest and they had a wonderful time. They provided them with wet suits also which were warmed up with hot water before they put them on. the Maritine Musuem is also right there for like ten bucks or so. I spoke with one of the spa girls who said snorkel park has entertainment at night for passengers and crew but we never made it over there at night. In the shops there is the glass blowers, try to catch one of the demonstrations. these people are very talented, was cool to see what they can do with just a long straw of glass. Not much else to do in dockyard and it seems that everyone leaves this port for the last day so it did seem more crowded because of that.

Have a great cruise, wish we were going again. We all have the Post Cruise Blues.

Thanks for the details on the bus/ferry and things to do! We were thinking of doing the Dockyard that last day too, which I might change plans as I can see where it will get crowded.

How was the perfume factory? Was it worth a visit?

Our first day plans sounds like yours Ferry to St. George's and do what we want there. Then go to Hamilton by #10 bus with a stop at Swizzle Inn.

What did you wear during the day? Evening?

It was actually very nice during the day. We wore shorts and my girls wore sundresses. But if you plan on using the ferries, bring a sweater as it was cool. At night we were on the ship and I mostly wore capris. I brought a sweater a couple of times to dinner but didn't really need one. Only time we were cold is getting out of the pools/hot tub the last day when it was very windy. We certainly got dried off very quickly..lol We just kept bringing the wet towels for dry ones to the towel station. A few times they even gave us nice warm towels.

The Perfume Factory is very small but I have toured it two times and think it is quaint. They give you a brief history via video then take you to the building where they show you about the making of the perfume, then of course you end in the gift shop. The prices range from $55 for eau d'toillette to $100 for perfume but they do have some nice stuff, both for ladies and men.

I am sure you will have a great time

Hi Judy. Hope that you have a wonderful time on your cruise. We had an amazing time and are in withdrawals!!

We purchased a three day bus/ferry pass right at the terminal. We waited no more than a few minutes, just be sure to bring cash. They were out of bus schedules at the terminal first thing in the morning, but luckily we had grabbed one onboard the previous day. We found it to be quickest to take the ferry into Hamilton and then walk several blocks up to the bus station to access bus service to other parts of the island (Fantasy/Crystal caves, Aquarium/Zoo, Horseshoe Bay, etc.). The bus routes we used most were 10, 11 and 3. The ferry rides to Hamilton were approximately 20 mins. while others we met up with said the bus ride was approximately 45 mins.

We loved the caves and exploring Hamilton. We did not purchase any excursions onboard, but another couple we became friendly with did the Hartley Helmet Dive and said it was amazing. I questioned the water temperature, but they said they were given wetsuits.

Hope this helps--have a great cruise!

What did the three day Bus/Ferry pass cost?

Grammynelliebelle asked: ...will they accept American money or do you need to convert?...

American currency is accepted all over Bermuda, no need to convert; and to clarify, cash is NOT accepted on ferries. For the ferry, use tokens, tickets or transportation passes.

CrusingJoe asked: ...What did the three day Bus/Ferry pass cost?....

Cost of an adult 3 day transportation pass is $28.00.

SBtS

Grammynelliebelle asked: ...will they accept American money or do you need to convert?...

American currency is accepted all over Bermuda, no need to convert; and to clarify, cash is NOT accepted on ferries. For the ferry, use tokens, tickets or transportation passes.

CrusingJoe asked: ...What did the three day Bus/Ferry pass cost?....

Cost of an adult 3 day transportation pass is $28.00.

SBtS

Thanks for the information. $28.00 is a great price. Less than a one way cab in NYC.

The ferry rides alone are worth the 28 bucks, a cheap way of sightseeing, and the busses proove to be an interesting ride!!!!!. Occaisionally the visitor center will send a volunteer on one of the ferries to tell you all about Bermuda, turning the public transportation into a guided tour-we weren't lucky to have this happen to us, but it happened two times to my friends last week.

Archived