Galapagos on the Endeavor in October, 2010

We surprised ourselves by signing up for the National Geographic Endeavor tour to the Galapagos Oct 8-17, 2010. Everything I read makes me believe this was an excellent decision. I'd love to hear further comments and/or hear from others who may be on the trip with us.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Galapagos with Lindblad a while back on Polaris - it recently entered into a well deserved retirement. The Endeavour is far superior. If time and budget permit, you should take a look at the Peru-Machu Pichu extension - it was spectacular!

I am surprised you have not gotten more attention here. We sailed on Endeavor in March in the Galapagos and the trip was a marvel.

Highlights included: Outstanding guides and Naturists, Very good food, good accomodations considering the "adventure" style, incredible animal contact and delightful interplay with the Natioanl Geographic Photo staff.

One of our first concerns was quickly abated: you do not have to be in GROUP 1 see animals. The local regulations have created a safe environment for the local denizens, and they have no fear of humans. Each group actually draws more curious sea lions (you need to learn quickly there are NO Seals in the Galapagos) and birds. Guides can actually "call in" birds with their voices.

Excursions are early, some before breakfast. You will always get on and off the ship by zodiac, which is well handled by the experienced crew. listen to them and follow instructions and all will be well. Do not decide to rinse off your life preserver in your shower after a long salty day (you'll see why)

Meals are Buffett style during the day, and occasionally the line backs up at peak times. If this bothers you, make sure you arrive at the door at opening time, do not wait for the announcement. Dinner is plated, and you have three entree choices each night. Our favorite meal was the Equdoran local lunch served buffett style with ceviche and local fish. Wonderful.

The Photographers (we had 2) took turns heading up photo groups, which saw the same sights each day but went slower. they also held discussions, and at our request they held a break out group on the last day to discuss each setting on your camera for the beginner/intermediate. The idea for me was to get me off of Automatic and using at least one variable setting. Others were challenged more deeply in accordance with their experience. Ask for these lessons as they were not part of the scheduled talks, but were accomodated. We wish they had been earlier in the trip! Make sure to bring many memory cards for your camera; you will take many more photos than you think. Internet is spotty and expensive but taking a laptop to work with photos each night is very helpful.

There will be the typical "crossing the Equator" ceremony, with photos and ships horn blaring. Nice if you've never done it.

Take bottled water aboard. I know this is hard while flying but you can purchase water at the airport on arrival. The ship has its own on board desalination system of which they are very proud, so they do not provide bottles. My personal taste was the water tasted salty and slimy...but many people thought it was fine. If you add ice it tasted much better. You can also replenish your water purchase when you go ashore for the tour of the Charles Darwin exhibit.

Post other questions here and I'll be happy to answer!

• 2 months later...

I read that the cabins only have twin beds. Is this true? Also, because of my schedule, we would have to go in March/April. Does anyone know if that is a "good" time?

• 3 weeks later...

I was just on the Islander, and assume it the same for Endeavor. Not to worry, they can either combine the beds into a queen, or separate them into two twins. We had two cabins of the same category, and they made up one each way for us. I think this is pretty standard for any cruise line.

The naturalists were fantastic, and the entire tour/expedition was well run from the time they picked us up at the airport to when they watched us go through security to leave Ecuador. You don't have to worry about a thing, they handle everything.

A tip if you drink liquor - you can take your own onboard. We bought at the duty free in MIA, but wished we'd waited until the charter flight to Baltra - the Guayaquil airport had better prices, better selection, and you don't have near as far to lug it. A bottle goes quickly if you are sitting on the top deck after dinner with a crowd! Or you can buy some on Santa Cruz Island where the Darwin research center is (the only town we visited). My husband also used the internet cafe there to contact his office and found the connection to be fast and very inexpensive, vs. the onboard connection that was slower than dial up and very expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the water and liquor tips. There is a lot of good info on the Celebrity Xpedition site also, about packing and weather.

If anyone has tips about footwear, I'd love to hear them. I'm leaning towards hiking boots, city walking shoes, and flipflops (we're doing the Peru extension). Also flirting with purchasing an underwater camera for this trip.

Thanks for the footwear recommendations. I hate not having the right shoes on vacation. I took hiking boots to Costa Rica even though most people recommended Tevas, and I was really glad because we saw several pit vipers while hiking in the jungle. I like the ankle protection.

Wet landings, yippee!!

About those wet landings,,,, Should you contemplate a voyage which involves cold water wet landings (Alaska, Arctic, Antarctic etc.) rubber boots are the norm. But, NEOS are worth a look. They are like light weight, space age galoshes which are worn over hiking/walking shoes. They can be worn while walking or removed once on shore and put back on for sloshing back on to the zodiac.

Interesting product, I never knew such a thing existed.

What do you wish you had brought, that you didn't?

What did you bring that you wish you had left at home?

I was going to bring my hiking poles, but I read somewhere that they're not allowed on the islands. Can anyone comment on this?

When we did Galapagos-Peru my SLR camera body malfunctioned. Since then, we always bring a back up body. Photo opportunities are mind blowing. We leave Thursday for 5 weeks on NG Explorer with Moscow pre-cruise - definitely bringing 2 camera bodies! No wet landings on this one.

Just watched the PBS Nova special on MP. Am waiting on the Galapagos IMAX from Netflix. Our trip is MONTHS away but I'm so excited for it.

Anyone have airport tips? We're flying LGA/MIA/GYE, then LIM/MIA/LGA.

Archived