They asked for the parent consent letter!

You should post this on the Family Board as a Public Service Announcement...;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

We discuss this all the time and warn the parents to bring it. I travel without my hubby (sometimes). We all have the same last names. And we all have passports. But I still bring that letter when he is not with us.

Remember, leaving the country, you are being checked in by the ships staff, not immigration. They may check your passport, but they are not customs and immigration! Getting off the ship, and entering into the US, you are going through customs. That will be the place where you will and should have all your paperwork in order. The check in process, just is to verify you have everything etc, to insure you won't have issues, however, they can overlook things!!!

You are correct, BUT the ship or airline, can be fined heavily if a passenger attempts to reneter the US, without the correct documents, that is why the port staff SHOULD check everything as well as Immigration will do on the ships return

My paretns invited their almost (3 days shy of it) 18 year old nephew on their last european cruise. Now they are all EU Passport holders (so he is considered an adult 3 days after completing the cruise) and on top of it he has the same name as my parents.

We knew about alll the paper work so we had it all - even if the parents of the boy thought it was rediculous. Still what sort of picked off my dad is that the check in agent didn't even ask if it was his child but rather immeadiatly insisted on seeing the letter. :LOL:

Archived