what to buy

renebfl

Well top of my list is GOLD ! Bought a gorgeous coin ring on Corfu for my son and a beautiful coin pendant on Santorini for me (2 different trips)

Then there is nice leather work - sandals and purses (Mykonos) and some beautiful icon artwork (perhaps Greek orthodox?) on Corfu. Also wonderful soaps (for gifts) wood items and the obligatory ouzo

There is lots of other good stuff but those are the top items that caught my eye ! ;)

I would like some ideas on what others have bought in Greece.

Santorini -beautiful gold jewelry, in particular with ancient Greek or Byzantine designs, also vin santo (sweet white wine) and DELICIOUS honey! large variety of small (and large) calendars with photos for gifts, plus get some for yourself as memories. They don't sell calendars with

pictures of only Santorini on other islands, so buy them here. They do

sell calendars with photos of mixed Greek Islands on Santorini.

Mykonos- more modern gold jewelry very high end. Small items more expensive than any place else. Probably photo calendars reasonable

souvenir. Hand made keychains much more expensive in Mykonos than

in Santorini.

Rhodes- best selection and price of small items for gifts, in particular olive oil soap in many varieties, olive oil itself,honey (thyme) and key chains, bracelets,etc with the good blue eye. Also woven greek bedspreads,icon replicas and real icons, jewelery more affordable and pretty but not as individual or special as Santorini or Mykonos.

Coffee--Greek Nescafe is the best (most robust) instant coffee I've ever tasted! CAreful--it has to be "Greek" 'Classico' instant coffee.

Sandals from the Poet Sandalmaker in Athens--what an experience.

http://www.melissinos-poet.com/eng/index.html

I kinda like those Minoan cast 'faces' and statues.

A few years ago DW bought a Cartouche--I guess it's really Egyptian, but it's a 'Med' type of thing.

cartouche_pendant_msc.jpg

Kevin

Archived