Southern Carribean

sfilbert

My husband I have been on 3 Celebrity Cruises. We want to go deep Southern this time, our choice is Caribbean Princess and Millinium out of San Juan or 14 days on Constellation out of FLL.

I have to say the last cruise I was bored on Celebrity. My husband loves the dinners on Celebrity and I am a picky meat and potatoes girl.

1. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of leaving out of San Juan vs. FLL.

2. Does Princess have pool games and more activities that Celebrity.

HELP!!! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the Carnival Miracle this year..it is leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale and going to DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART WedFeb23Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:00pmThuFeb24At SeaFriFeb25Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands 7:00am3:00pmSatFeb26Catalina Island, Dominican Republic 9:00am5:00pmSunFeb27Aruba Noon10:00pmMonFeb28Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 8:00am4:00pmTueMar1At SeaWedMar2At SeaThuMar3Fort Lauderdale, FL 8:00amredline.gif

other week isITINERARY

redline.gif

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART TueFeb15Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:00pmWedFeb16At SeaThuFeb17At SeaFriFeb18St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 8:00am5:00pmSatFeb19St. Lucia 9:00am5:00pmSunFeb20St. Kitts 9:00am4:00pmMonFeb21At SeaTueFeb22At SeaWedFeb23Fort Lauderdale, FL 8:00amredline.gif

We have done several Princess southern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan and have back-to-back cruises (our 3 set from this port on Princess) scheduled again for January 2011. We absolutely love Princess.

With that said, we are NOT prone to party, we do not participate in pool games, we do not drink to excess, and do not have a burning interest in activities they have onboard. I think that's why we like Princess so much. You won't find a contest for the hairiest legs, who can do the biggest belly flop, or who can drink the most beer before they barf.

If you're looking for these type of activities, Princess will NOT be your cruise line.

However, if you would prefer wine tastings, computer classes, photography classes, cooking demonstrations, bingo, scavenger hunts, being entertained by a string quartet, or some quiet time for reading, then you'd love this cruise line.

I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy who finds the food pretty good, but about twice a week I end up eating the "always offered" sirloin steak or salmon.

The only real difference is that, depending where you live, you have to fly to the Caribbean to sail the Caribbean.

Just added expense. Just go with what you know and like. But remember, "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."

I've not tried Celebrity yet (soon though--June), but Princess does have daily activities. Last cruise last month (10 nighter through Panama Canal) we played mythbusters, passenger feud, and a few others. Or watched a few others. I won a gold medal at one! :) There are things to do if you choose. We've sailed the deep southern caribbean from San Juan too, and those mega Princess ships are very nice.

I'll be eager to write my review of Celebrity when I get back in June. Interested to see if it lives up to its hype of being better than others!

-Lori

See my responses below.

My husband I have been on 3 Celebrity Cruises. We want to go deep Southern this time, our choice is Caribbean Princess and Millinium out of San Juan or 14 days on Constellation out of FLL. I've been to all of the Caribbean and by far the Southern Caribbean is my favorite. LOVE IT! My husband and I sailed the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan last year for 14 days. The BEST cruise I've ever taken. The ports of call were amazing, we had so much fun...I highly recommend that cruise.

I have to say the last cruise I was bored on Celebrity. My husband loves the dinners on Celebrity and I am a picky meat and potatoes girl. My family is split this way too. My sister is only meat and potatoes and her husband is "try this, try that...something different all the time". They LOVE PCL. It gives them both what they want. PCL is now offering a more "homestyle" type of menu choice along with their "foo foo" food. It's nice to have a change up every now and again.

1. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of leaving out of San Juan vs. FLL. I've done both. San Juan in my opinion has more to do - more history - more culture. I love the food, people, history of SJU.

2. Does Princess have pool games and more activities that Celebrity.

I've never cruised Celebrity, so I can't say if PCL has more over Celebrity. PCL does have pool games and activities. I think PCL is a good inbetween - between Celebrity and RCCL or Carnival. It's a happy medium.

HELP!!! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Archived