Skagway hiking advice

VAtravelers100

We are sailing with HAL July 3 and are doing some excursion planning. In Juneau we have reservations with Harv and Marv for whale watching, and in Ketchikan we're in the process of reserving with Ken at Northern Light Charters for fishing.

We'll be in Skagway from 7 AM to 9 PM, and we plan to rent a van from Avis (I haven't done that yet). We are a group of 5 - my husband and I, his brother, and his parents. We plan to drive into the Yukon and to Emerald Lake. We'll buy Murray's guide.

We will want to do some good hiking in Skagway. We're interested in getting suggestions for the most unique or beautiful hikes. My brother in law is a serious hiker, and so we're interested in some relatively longer or challenging hikes that would interest him. Ideally they could be in a location that either allows his parents to wander the town or head back to the boat, or hand out in a location with amenities of some type.

We could possibly due a late afternoon helicopter trip if it involved neat ice climbing or something, but would also appreciate options that we can get to in the rental van.

We'll appreciate any advice!

I'm not sure I entirely understand your plans, because it sounds like you plan to drive to the Yukon, but also want to hike nearer to Skagway.

In any event, there are several trails that are very close the cruise dock, which should enable your husband's parents to return to the ship if they wish. A good resource is the NPS website.

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/longerhikes.htm

We haven't done these hikes, and so can't comment on their uniqueness or beauty, but we plan to hike to Upper Dewey Lake during our July visit.

You also might search the Skagway forums on tripadvisor.com, the sister site to Cruise Critic, for more hiking information. I don't know about day hiking accessible from the drive to Emerald Lake, as we won't be taking that drive.

We will want to do some good hiking in Skagway. We're interested in getting suggestions for the most unique or beautiful hikes. My brother in law is a serious hiker, and so we're interested in some relatively longer or challenging hikes that would interest him. Ideally they could be in a location that either allows his parents to wander the town or head back to the boat, or hand out in a location with amenities of some type.

You probably want the Upper Dewey Lake Trail - though on July 3rd you'll probably run into some snow, so be prepared.

We are sailing with HAL July 3 and are doing some excursion planning. In Juneau we have reservations with Harv and Marv for whale watching, and in Ketchikan we're in the process of reserving with Ken at Northern Light Charters for fishing.

We'll be in Skagway from 7 AM to 9 PM, and we plan to rent a van from Avis (I haven't done that yet). We are a group of 5 - my husband and I, his brother, and his parents. We plan to drive into the Yukon and to Emerald Lake. We'll buy Murray's guide.

We could possibly due a late afternoon helicopter trip if it involved neat ice climbing or something, but would also appreciate options that we can get to in the rental van.

We'll appreciate any advice!

Not sure if I would drive to the Yukon AND do the Upper Dewey Lake hike the same day. That might be pushing it a bit to be certain of not missing the ship (though you can always turn around part way into the hike).

Not sure if I would drive to the Yukon AND do the Upper Dewey Lake hike the same day. That might be pushing it a bit to be certain of not missing the ship (though you can always turn around part way into the hike).

The drive is 5 hours (and that can be shortened a lot - it's only 150 miles), the hike can be done in much less than 5 by experienced hikers (I can do it in a little over 4) - so there's lots of time with a normal Skagway port time.

In Skagway when you get off the ship and heading into town, you'll see some train tracks. Follow them to the right (toward the mountains). Off to the right you'll see a trailhead. Follow it up and it will break off into 2 or 3 different trails right after the bridge.

My husband and I LOVED this hike. Once you got up into the mountain a bit (not too strenous but a good little push) the views are beautiful... keep going and you're along the back ridge with a stream, elk calling each other, and tons of wildlife/flowers. Of course this was Mid May 2007 but I cant wait to go back in 4 weeks and do all of this hiking again. This will be perfect for a small stroll, a little push, and then a pretty challenging section. Go as far as you like. The trail head is only about a 5 minute walk from the ship.

Heres a map: www.skagway.com/skagwaytrailmap.pdf

keep going and you're along the back ridge with a stream, elk calling each other, and tons of wildlife/flowers.

I'm curious as to what you heard, as an elk call is pretty distinctive but there are no elk anywhere near Skagway. According to regional biologists, just an introduced herd 150 milesto the north near Whitehorse, and a few growing herds (numbering about 400 animals in total) on islands further south in SE Alaska. Mating Sasquatch, perhaps... :D

What I heard sounded VERY similar to this:

Being taken on hunting trips since I was 5...... if it was a deer that made this noise.... so be it..... but I DEFINATELY remember what I heard on the other side of the creek.

No biggie- point being you can DEFINATELY sit and listen to the forest alive out there!

Archived